Help with something really fucking weak

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    What if you are re-releasing somebody's music in a different package to make some sort of statement? (I'm legally changing my last name to Duchamp)

Seriously, I don't see lines anymore. I say fuck it all. Leave it to the consumer to decide what they want to buy and who they want to support. BLOODFEST. (now I know this argument has SO MANY fallicies but don't you go thinking about them!)

BTW: Crink don't get mad at Rob. He gets high.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I publicly appologize for calling z_illa an asshole. I got a touch "hyphie" last night.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    How is it any different THAN the dude who bootleged the mix and changed the title/artwork and dante who slapped a bunch of the 45's on it, didn't give tracklistings, and just called it Black Chains & Exhaust?

BUT YO DUDE! OBSCURE MIDWEST DUDE WOUDN'T NEVER OF BEEN HEARD OF! HE'S GOT A NEW AUDIENCE

Yeah, but he's still broke midwest dude and now known to what? a few Europeans dudes and soulstrutters?

I'm just not feeling how no one is thinking about the actual musicians and proping up Dante as some victim.

WHEN PEOPLE STOP ACTING POLITE! AND STARTING ACTING REAL!

and yeah I know I have made/make mixtapes. If someone bootlegs my shit I would get upset as well, but I would just take it on the chin and remember that "I was pretty much 'bootlegging' to begin with".

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    All this self-righteousness is sickening.

"I was pretty much 'bootlegging' to begin with".

You are out of touch with your hip-hop mindset.

• All this self-righteousness is sickening.

I'm not being self-righteous Nate. I'm just mentioning the reality of the situation and I'm being completely honest by saying "yeah I do the same thing". I bet you if this was a Strutter who wasn't liked or whatever this whole thread would be completely fucking different.

have a nice day.

p.s. dudes need to read my entire posts instead of just focusing on the "dante may be incorrect" parts and getting their panties in a bunch.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Am I wrong? I don't think Dante really cares about the bootlegging. It's the fact that someone tried to pass it off as something else. I'm sure Dante put a bit of work into the mix and just would like his work to stay intact.

I don't think the money means a thing. I know if I did a mix and somebody bootlegged it I wouldn't give two shits. But if somebody bootlegged it and put a pic of a nakid lil kid on the cover, I'd be looking to knock someone out.

More than likely, some dude did this to gain access to some IRC group or some shit. Not for a monetary type deal.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

have a nice day.

You know I will!

I'm not being self-righteous Nate. I'm just mentioning the reality of the situation and I'm being completely honest by saying "yeah I do the same thing". I bet you if this was a Strutter who wasn't liked or whatever this whole thread would be completely fucking different.

have a nice day.

p.s. dudes need to read my entire posts instead of just focusing on the "dante may be incorrect" parts and getting their panties in a bunch.

Read your posts? I'm trying to figure out what you're reading to warrant your responses.

"I was pretty much 'bootlegging' to begin with".

You are out of touch with your hip-hop mindset.

Or is hip-hop out of touch with my mindset...?

THE ? REMAINZ

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I am not condeming illegitimate comps/mixes - I don't know how I can make that any more clear.

Hmmmmmm, I I>think/I> I see what's going on...

IMG SRC=http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7592/blow7qs.jpg>

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

And your analogy is a poor one. Painting concerns the cosmetic; mixing and scratching and fading concerns the structural.

OK, maybe, I don't know, I'll have to check wikipedia for definitions of "structural" and "cosmetic". I don't care, for a minute there I was the king of SS useless online debates. That's all that really matters.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

I understand completely.
    But I am the type to look forward rather than back.

not that my opinion matters much, but i like this mindset.

I am not condeming illegitimate comps/mixes - I don't know how I can make that any more clear.

Hmmmmmm, I I>think/I> I see what's going on...

IMG SRC=http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7592/blow7qs.jpg>

hahahaha!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I understand completely.
    But I am the type to look forward rather than back.

not that my opinion matters much, but i like this mindset.

When crossing a street it is highly recommended to look to the sides too.

have a nice day.

Read your posts? I'm trying to figure out what you're reading to warrant your responses.

Tell me if i'm wrong...this is what i'm getting from this:

dante made bc&e and didn't give tracklistings or info on any of the artists
    some cornball bootlegged it, changed the cover, and even got the tracklistings from soulstrut?
    Dante is upset

here goes:

I feel him, but how mad can dude really be. I see it as Dante did essentially the same thing as well with his mix.

Hcrink doesn't like hip-hop,I'mma have to watch my back when I go to the Chi-tilla, & my "Chi-city dude" is a hot-ass stepper facemelter.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I really disagree... when Impalaville was reproduced, er, without proper approval, I was pretty pissed... precisely because it's NOT just a collection of random tunes, everything was put together in that package with intent, oftentimes with dressing that was my own (and Drez's own) original creation. Of course this has no legal standing but in the case of C&BE those records weren't all sitting next to one another in a bin, or on a list of "great obscure funky psychotic madness" waiting to be put together. That takes inventiveness, vision, taste, and skill.

It's probable that some of those groups didn't consider themselves in the same company as - or didn't even know of - the other groups featured. You're not just documenting a scene or one area or group of people; you're casting a wide net for a certain "sound", and that "sound" has oftentimes only recently been categorized as such.

I'm not saying that's a copyright-able creation, but it's not like everyone who does mixes is a glorified bootlegger.

Lastly some of these artists benefit beyond whatever mechanical royalty they'd be due from these mixes. I think that's the intent of the mixer and to overlook it is really missing the forest for the trees.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

have a nice day.

some cornball bootlegged it, changed the cover, and even got the tracklistings from soulstrut?
    Dante is upset

here goes:

I feel him, but how mad can dude really be. I see it as Dante did essentially the same thing as well with his mix.

Hcrink doesn't like hip-hop,I'mma have to watch my back when I go to the Chi-tilla, & my "Chi-city dude" is a hot-ass stepper facemelter.

You think digging up records of that caliber is "essentially the same thing" as burning copies of a CD and slapping a half-assed track listing (that you didn't even figure out youtself) on it?

Lastly some of these artists benefit beyond whatever mechanical royalty they'd be due from these mixes. I think that's the intent of the mixer and to overlook it is really missing the forest for the trees.

I disagree. That's why I said

Yeah, but he's still some broke midwest dude and now known to what? a few Europeans dudes and soulstrutters?

And yo..what did happen with Impalaville was weak shit.

have a nice day.

Dante is upset

here goes:

no. nobody is upset. dante even said he wasn't pissed. to you. people just think it's weak. it is weak, unless this dude is and trying to see how a different audience might interpret it, but I doubt that.

have a nice day.

Dante is upset

here goes:

You think digging up records of that caliber is "essentially the same thing" as burning copies of a CD and slapping a half-assed track listing (that you didn't even figure out youtself) on it?

Naw Hammertime:

I'm not overlooking Dante's dedication ( when I first chimed in on this thread the first thing I said was "dante I respect your dig-abilities").

have a nice day.

Dante is upset

here goes:

no. nobody is upset. dante even said he wasn't pissed.

well then....i guess why the fuck are we arguing this (like it mattered to begin with).

Yeah, but he's still some broke midwest dude and now known to what? a few Europeans dudes and soulstrutters?

Their record gets known, if they have quantity they can get that off, perhaps their record gets licensed for something bigger than a smalltime mixtape???

I mean what do YOU think the artists should get, or would you prefer that they rot in obscurity?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "dig-abilities"

this word seems to suggest that one would be able to easily "dig" dante (ayo!), not that dante would possess an ability for digging.

i prefered the jolly crink of old. all this waxidermy fame has gone to his head.

Their record gets known, if they have quantity they can get that off, perhaps their record gets licensed for something bigger than a smalltime mixtape???

I mean what do YOU think the artists should get, or would you prefer that they rot in obscurity?

uh...aren't those dudes still in obscurity?

someone bootleg "I'm sayin' though" or "Maximum Joy" so I can get sonned-ed.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

i prefered the jolly crink of old. all this waxidermy fame has gone to his head.

Co-sign, he's starting to look like the Joan of Arc of this crazy anti-hiphop crusade.

Co-sign, he's starting to look like the Joan of Arc of this crazy anti-hiphop crusade.

uh...aren't those dudes still in obscurity?

exerpt from an article aptly titled Funk emerges from obscurity on 'Let My People Go'

After releasing the three legendary singles in the early ???70s as a hobby, Darondo spent the next three decades on a variety of pursuits, from starring in his own local cable-access TV shows, to traveling the world, and eventually going back to school and settling down to become a physical therapist. But the singer???s music brought him back full circle when influential BBC DJ Gilles Peterson hand-picked the tune "Didn???t I" for inclusion on this year???s Luv N??? Haight compilation Brownswood USA: Gilles Peterson Digs America.[/b]

Once that ball started rolling, it was only a matter of time for interest among the label???s tastemakers peaked enough to gather all of the Darondo music that could be found.