I WANT TO PIMP MY EXPEDIT

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
I am in the process of the moving the World Of Beats A & B rooms down from the upper level to the underground level (which, in reality, is where it should have been all along... ) to make room for a brand new 15 year old addition to the W.O.B. family. It is already a li'l bit of a byotch moving all these records down two stories solo, but it is good exercise (as long as I don't die in the process, I guess). ANYWAY... I will have more wall space and can ditch these thousands of record boxes and buy more expedits to house my collectibles. Now, here is the point of this already too-long-winded post: I want to pimp my expedits. I'm thinking perhaps curtains of some sort with colorful prints, maybe hook them up with sliding doors of some kind. FULL LENGTH MIRRORS. With mirrors I and any of my houseguests can look at ourselves while we curl 50 lb. dumbbells and listen to my entire eastern european drumbreak collection. Has anybody ever done anything fancy to dress up there expedits? Have any good ideas? Let a pimp know.PS: it was inevitable- while transporting boxes of records today I came across a few more copies of that Phill Most Chill 12". See you on Ebay tomorrow.

Comments

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I'd think about some custom joints. You could prolly find a carpenter that could hook you up with some sick schitt.

Cutains would be the easiest thing to do on an expedit. Sliding doors would be kinda ill.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Sliding doors with shag carpeting would get you "most ill" rating in my book.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What up Phill? How about hiding the expedits behind a rock wall that opens up via remote control to expose the records. Like in Goodfellas when Henry Hill and his wife got their new crib. You could put a bar in there too and sip vintage brandy while you listen to raer soundtracks. Brandy snifters with the WOB logo on em!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    FULL LENGTH MIRRORS. With mirrors I and any of my houseguests can look at ourselves while we curl 50 lb. dumbbells and listen to my entire eastern european drumbreak collection.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK.
    Whatever you wind up doing, post some pics!

• Options
    With mirrors I and any of my houseguests can look at ourselves while we curl 50 lb. dumbbells and listen to my entire eastern european drumbreak collection

Food for the photoshop...

Has anybody ever done anything fancy to dress up there expedits? Have any good ideas? Let a pimp know.

I put those caster wheels on mine but I put them in the wrong spot and they sunk into the fauxwood, collapsing the entire unit and spilling records all over the floor. I don't recommend it.

Instead, hook up some chrome go-kart wheels and maybe add some hydraulics. Sky's the limit.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Food for the photoshop...

WAY ahead of you...
    IMG SRC=http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/3792/pimpexpedit6tt.jpg>

• Seashells are again the hot look for 2006.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    What up Phill? How about hiding the expedits behind a rock wall that opens up via remote control to expose the records. Like in Goodfellas when Henry Hill and his wife got their new crib. You could put a bar in there too and sip vintage brandy while you listen to raer soundtracks. Brandy snifters with the WOB logo on em!

To the Batcave, Alfred!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I feel this idea. I will be moving soon, and the thought of buying one of these is in the fore.

So you want to pimp it....this is what I say, turn the whole thing into a stereo unit. Take the 2 bottom corner squares, and turn them into subwoofer boxes. Plexiglass panel on the front so you can see the speakers. Now, of course you're thinking this may cause a lot of vibration, but surprisingly, it doesn't since a shelf full of records is like a giant brick. But still, to keep the vibrations minimal, I would assemble the expedit, then dip the whole thing in polyurethane--you want to get a clear coat that is 1/4" thick. Of course you then want to sand this to a fine gloss. This thing will be sparkling and durable. You know what? You know what would look nice under that thick and heavy clear-coat? Yes, you guessed it. Fiberoptic lights threaded in a diamond pattern. So ok, you're making it a stereo, but you still want some room for your amp/receiver and hard disk server (yes you are storing this collection digitally so you won't ever have to go through the trouble of actually pulling records out of these tightly-packed shelving cubes to listen to music) which will be rack mounted. By the way, you are going to want a 5x5 unit, so you have a middle row to put this and your computer monitor (for that server--think of it as a juke box). You know what, scrap the fiberoptic lights, just put glitter under the poly coat. Let's make it look like a juke box. You can actually nail the burlap or whatever woven material they have over jukebox speakers over the cubes that contain the records (since you'll never have to take them out again!)--then put a nice diamond wood pattern over that to give it that nice touch of craftsmanship that you only find on vintage jukeboxes.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I feel this idea. I will be moving soon, and the thought of buying one of these is in the fore.

So you want to pimp it....this is what I say, turn the whole thing into a stereo unit. Take the 2 bottom corner squares, and turn them into subwoofer boxes. Plexiglass panel on the front so you can see the speakers. Now, of course you're thinking this may cause a lot of vibration, but surprisingly, it doesn't since a shelf full of records is like a giant brick. But still, to keep the vibrations minimal, I would assemble the expedit, then dip the whole thing in polyurethane--you want to get a clear coat that is 1/4" thick. Of course you then want to sand this to a fine gloss. This thing will be sparkling and durable. You know what? You know what would look nice under that thick and heavy clear-coat? Yes, you guessed it. Fiberoptic lights threaded in a diamond pattern. So ok, you're making it a stereo, but you still want some room for your amp/receiver and hard disk server (yes you are storing this collection digitally so you won't ever have to go through the trouble of actually pulling records out of these tightly-packed shelving cubes to listen to music) which will be rack mounted. By the way, you are going to want a 5x5 unit, so you have a middle row to put this and your computer monitor (for that server--think of it as a juke box). You know what, scrap the fiberoptic lights, just put glitter under the poly coat. Let's make it look like a juke box. You can actually nail the burlap or whatever woven material they have over jukebox speakers over the cubes that contain the records (since you'll never have to take them out again!)--then put a nice diamond wood pattern over that to give it that nice touch of craftsmanship that you only find on vintage jukeboxes.

Son can you build that for me. Sounds kinda dope. Speaking of customization I got a dude making a special asr for me. I'm kinda geeked.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    1) Paper mache that thing using genuine 100 dollar bills.
    2) Hollow out the side panels so you can keep the secret squirrel joints truly hidden.
    3) Have a spinning Expedit wall like a Scooby Doo fireplace. Whenever those long-fingered collectors come over you can spin that wall around and expose them to the poo poo Humperdinks.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Thats just foolish son. Baby would do it if he collected records though.

2) Hollow out the side panels so you can keep the secret squirrel joints truly hidden.

That might be dope, but its really all about flossing.

3) Have a spinning Expedit wall like a Scooby Doo fireplace. Whenever those long-fingered collectors come over you can spin that wall around and expose them to the poo poo Humperdinks.

That would be real cold right there. I would come to Philly just to see that if Phil can pull that off.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I gotta say... I like this idea. Maybe I can get Screech to raise some money for me so I can get it done.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I am FAR too cheap for that one. I wouldn't do that with even one dollar bills. A dude I know once ripped up a dollar in front of me just to show me how little he cared about it. I picked the scraps up off the floor, taped that bitch back together and bought a soda.

Hmmm.. that could be an idea. Secret compartments and schitt.

I like this whole concept, as well as Chan's remote control version. Unfortunately not really practical due to space constraints. Plus I already have a real fireplace down here, so to put in a faux fireplace that spins around would not work very well. I'm diggin' the ideas, though! Keep them coming!

BTW- FYI, Humperdinc[/b]k is THAT DUDE. I just pulled a few of his albums when I unearthed my Englebert crate last night. A friend has been requesting Humperdinck titles for a while, so now I can finally hit him with the knowledge. "Another Time, Another Place" & "King Of Hearts" lps =
    And never forget the rule of true players worldwide- "put on the Humperdinck right before you pump her pink".

This is a great concept you have here. Maybe a little too busy for me, but who knows. How about just candy paint? Think I could just candy paint that byotch and let it drip? I'm gonna keep all of this in mind as I plan out what I'm gonna do.
    Only prob with your idea- if I'm never gonna play the records again, I may as well just dispose of them AND the expedits. This could also be a possibility in the near future. I would some day like to rid myself of all records and turn the World Of Beats into some kind of lounge with bearskin rugs, fine art, giant sculptures, full bar (complete with full-time bartender) and maybe a lighted dancefloor or stripper stage. Anyway, more ideas, plaese!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    beer posters over particle board is always classy and affordable.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    While I've always wanted a basement of records amongst other things, I also suffer possibly irrationally from a fear that theres more of a risk of your collection suffering a disaster in the basement. Water goes down, except if it's damp and then it goes up but it starts at the bottom so your screwed both ways.

While I've always wanted a basement of records amongst other things, I also suffer possibly irrationally from a fear that theres more of a risk of your collection suffering a disaster in the basement. Water goes down, except if it's damp and then it goes up but it starts at the bottom so your screwed both ways.

This is very true, and this fear is one of the reasons I initially agreed with the wife not to have my set up in the basement. I've heard some real horror stories about basement disasters (my boy Gary up in CT losing multiple copies of big stuff like the Marva Whitney album and lots of rare soul / funk, of course RZA losing lots of original unreleased Wu-Tang material, etc.). But at this point I'm just not real worried about it. All of the drains in and right outside of the basement and garage are working just fine, and I plan to have all the most important stuff up high, Firestone Xmas albums down low. Hopefully that will be good enough... if not, kay sera sera.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    if you put your LPs in plastic sleeves that buys you at least a foot (plus whatever the height of the shelf they're on) of wiggle room in case of a flood. Personally I'd be more worried about humidity/mold/etc. but I imagine a good dehumidifier could keep things under control.

• Options
    ...and make sure to crank the dehumidifier if you're working out with Patrick Ewing-type people.

K.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Yup. My friend in Philly just lost EVERYTHING when his water main broke and flooded the basement. His entire record collection, his computer, his album on his computer, his keyboard, his sampler... everything. I don't fuck with basements.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I've heard some real horror stories about basement disasters (my boy Gary up in CT losing multiple copies of big stuff like the Marva Whitney album and lots of rare soul / funk,

He just got hit again a little bit.
    ...and cosign on the dehumidifier, an absolute must regardless. Invest in a workhorse.
    Vaccuum out them spiders too at least once a month. They will try to take shit over.

I've heard some real horror stories about basement disasters (my boy Gary up in CT losing multiple copies of big stuff like the Marva Whitney album and lots of rare soul / funk,

He just got hit again a little bit.
    ...and cosign on the dehumidifier, an absolute must regardless. Invest in a workhorse.
    Vaccuum out them spiders too at least once a month. They will try to take shit over.

I don't know how much of a dif it makes as far as dehumidifiers and spiders and all that, but this basement I'm relocating to is totally finished and has been a full service hair salon for the past 7 or 8 years. Big huge air conditioner, windows, tiled floors, drop ceilings (that are still probably at least 8.5 feet high), etc. Lots of space. Not your typical damp dungeon with dirt floors and all. Had a cracked stack pipe earlier this year that got totally replaced from basement to 2nd floor. The water heater sprung a leak and caused a minor flood about 2 years ago, but those drains I spoke about before handled that situation pretty good and there was no significant damage. So although anything's possible, I'm not too worried about losing everything in a flood. Knock on wood.

Daaaam, Gary got it again??? That's too fucked up.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Could be a helpful tip...

Go to a hardware store/Home Depot/whatever and get yourself some heavy duty locking casters to fix to the bottom of the Expedit.
    This will:

1: Make it easier to move the shelves if needed.
    2: Keep the shelves OFF the ground in case of flooding - wood soaks up water like a sponge so don't just rely on the thickness of the bottom piece of the shelving.

I'd recommend at least 6 per case, maybe 8 for the bigger Expedit.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Stop derailing this thread. This was supposed to be on that HG TV "Trash to Treasure" type steez.

Listen, I was thinking about this at work today. What the Expedit really really really needs is something for the ladies. I'm sure some of you East-Coast renters are familiar with the Murphy Bed. I am sayin', bolt a bigass featherbed to the back of that bitch. Man, you could even have some trumpets blaring as the thing lowers like a goddamn castle drawbridge on gold dookie ropes and shit. Feel me? If you really wanna take this thing higher, you would install some temperature gauge type of thing in there, which would, according to the temp, select a record that suits the mood (programmable by you, of course). A seismograph could even be thrown in there, so when you're thrashing the piss out of the headboard and it's hot as fuck, the song of your choice would be accompanying it all.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    so when you're thrashing the piss out of the headboard and it's hot as fuck, the song of your choice would be accompanying it all.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Yup. My friend in Philly just lost EVERYTHING when his water main broke and flooded the basement. His entire record collection, his computer, his album on his computer, his keyboard, his sampler... everything. I don't fuck with basements.

Reading that made my nuts crawl up into my bellybutton.

Hi Ayers!