TrannyRock or Really Gay Music Appreciation Thread

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited May 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
Anybody else really into outrageously camp music, but not in an ironic way?I'm listening to Soft Cell's THIS NIGHT IN SODOM and the incredibly melodramatic, gloomy, and bitchy scenarios are themes that 95% of hetero bands would never dream up. So what are some more records that seem to be primarily aimed at a gay audience (and more specifically a transvestite audience) but have a universal appeal to anybody who enjoys crying into their drink past closing time at the local cabaret? Records like...Loleatta Holloway: "Greatest Performance of My Life"Melba Moore: "Miss Thing"Pretty much anything by Shirley BasseyPretty much anything by Soft Celland of course Lou Reed's TRANSFORMER and BERLIN albums.Disco, house, synthpop, goth and glam obviously will be the main contributing genres in question, but I'm looking for the real outrageous shit. I'm "curious" to hear about your favorites.

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Anything Liza Minelli or Twisted Sister

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not really related to the music but this tranny has been coming into my cafe for the past three days and has been hitting on me everyday and she/he is scaring the shit out of me. that is all.

edit: if depeche mode is considered "gay music" then i enjoy gay music.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Dean and the Weenies "Fuck You"

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Sylvester got that gay disco fire like cooked crack son!

• I'm really feeling trannys lately... I'm really getting into them.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

This woman, (La) India, sings on the Masters at Work song When You Touch Me, which is a so-so song with a fantastic dub. I am sure that I own more overtly homosexual records, but this one is the gayest. She has that total 1991 sultry grit style vocal, and they chop up her voice and put these pulsing synths all over the track; totally faux-lush.

She has recorded salsa albums recently; working with Tito Puente, Eddie Palmieri and Celia Cruz. She was also married to Louie Vega for a minute

• paging Ovulationist

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

This woman, (La) India, sings.

She has recorded salsa albums recently; working with Tito Puente, Eddie Palmieri and Celia Cruz. She was also married to Louie Vega for a minute

One of my favorite cds is Llego La India Via Eddie Palmieri. Let me know if any of this is on vinyl.

She was also in a hip hop electro group, TKO? TRL? I can't remember now.

She has a bunch of forgetable dance 12s, but generaly the MAW stuff is all worth a spin.

Dan

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Labi Siffre is probably the only outted musician I am aware that I listen to. Hm.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    like pet shop boys? that kind of stuff?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Sylvester got that gay disco fire like cooked crack son!

"You Make Me Feel Mighty Real" is the shit[/b].

I remember seeing Sylvester on TV when I was kid and thinking WTF?!?!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    By the way, is there anybody gay on this entire board? If not, id say thats kinda weak.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

So what are some more records that seem to be primarily aimed at a gay audience (and more specifically a transvestite audience) but have a universal appeal to anybody who enjoys crying into their drink past closing time at the local cabaret?

PC Police Here: Um, Marco, can I just say that all music is gay/transgendered music? I mean, you of all people should know that! I heard you and the inimitable Candis Cayne tear it up at Barracuda on Monday nights!

Barracuda
    275 W 22nd St
    212-645-8613, 4pm-4am, free
    Retro-glam hot spot with stern cocktails, great DJs, fierce drag shows, musical appearances. Happy hour 4-9pm Mon-Fri, 2-for-1 drinks. Mon: Candis Cayne, DJ Marco[/b].

By the way, is there anybody gay on this entire board? If not, id say thats kinda weak.

Of course there are gay people on this board...But I doubt they will ever out themselves on this bastion of homophobia known as the 'Strut.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    I must admit to owning a few gay anthems in my collection and I like Sylvester
    (Do you wanna funk 12" is the shit.)

Love hangover-Diana Ross
    Love sensation-Loleata holloway

Are classic tunes regardless who listens to them.
    It's raining men -weather girls is another story

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i bought a whole crate of records off a former lesbian DJ (well she's still a lesbian.. no longer a dj)

chick had some interesting records and one can't help but wonder about the symbolism of the lyrics:

Prince Charles & The City Beat Band - In The Streets - chorus: "THERE'LL BE WARRRRRRRR.... IN THE STREETS" ... she had 2 copies, wonder if she juggled the break?

Phyllis Nelson - Don't Stop the Train

Lydia Murdock - Superstar - classic billy jean response record

Jesse Towers - Give Me Your Body While We're Dancing

Cheri - Murphies Law

Chantel Condor - Hands Up

People Like Us - Midnight Lover

bunch of moby dick stuff.. and loads of quebec jammies.. including the super wigged out IKO 83 - Digital Delight...

i bought a whole crate of records off a former lesbian DJ (well she's still a lesbian.. no longer a dj)

Back in the day, when I frequented lesbian bars, these were some of the dance floor staples:

AC/DC "All Night Long"

Faith Hill "Breathe"

Monifah "Touch It"

DMX "Party Up"

Juvenile "Back That Ass Up"

Melissa Etheridge "Does She Rock You"

Cher "Believe"

Joan Jett "I Love Rock n' Roll"

...There were lots of other tunes that struck me as strange and undanceable, but people were tearin' the club up anyway.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well this chick im not sure her exact story.. she had about 6 crates of records.. two were of jsut LPs and pretty uninteresting the rest of the crates were 12"s... about half were old '79 / '82 and the there was a droppoff of no 12"s until a big grip of crazy lesbian tecno records on shit like "clit records" and stuff.. really heinous early 90's rave type shit... so i think lady was a dj back in the day.. got out of it.. and then got back into it. not sure.. i also think it was her ex girlfriend sellign the records cause this lady was merciless everythign was 25 cents a pop.

but yea hit seems like these days lesbians just wanna listen to crap like white snake and ironic hard rock..

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts

Monifah "Touch It"

That was a guaranteed gay floor filler

NO! But my boyfriend is

Aretha - Think
    Barbara Mason - Another Man
    Carl Bean - I Was Born This Way
    4 To The Bar - Slam Me
    Alice Clark - Maybe This Time

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I have a spare Southshore Convention LP if anyone wants. Play Free Man in the right club and you'll cause a riot.

Also, last warehouse party I played I got props from the tall-hairy-knuckled trannies for playing Celi B and The Buzzy Bunch - Superman. That set managed to please both the trannies and the lone Jay Z fan.

Basically Disco is very gender-flexible. Which is cool.

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts
    I have a spare Southshore Convention LP if anyone wants. Play Free Man in the right club and you'll cause a riot.

Also, last warehouse party I played I got props from the tall-hairy-knuckled trannies for playing Celi B and The Buzzy Bunch - Superman. That set managed to please both the trannies and the lone Jay Z fan.

Basically Disco is very gender-flexible. Which is cool.

If you can get one of those Southshore Commission T-Shirts the man is wearing on the cover i'll have one in each colour.

Yeah, but I only have 2 sizes: Sexy and Extra-Sexy

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Of course there are gay people on this board...But I doubt they will ever out themselves on this bastion of homophobia known as the 'Strut.

I'm gay. So is my mom (Cosmo, holler!). So is my sister. So is my butch dyke cousin. And I have a rather smashing tranny/gay music collection. A few recommended records:

Anthony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

(The critically acclaimed new album featuring the Johnsons plus special guests Julia Yasuda, Lou Reed, Devendra Banhart, Rufus Wainwright and Boy George. With photography by Peter Hujar, Don Felix Cervantes and Josef Astor.)

http://www.antonyandthejohnsons.com/index.html

Breathless - Somewhere Between Happiness & Heartache[/b]

Dominic Appleton of Breathless (This Mortal Coil fame) is the best lisping homosexual man singer next to Moz. I love his heartbreaking shit.

About this time of day, I start to wonder about this dream we chase. You and me, now. Well I can never make you happy so I shoudn't even try. I'll only make you suffer Looks like we should kiss this dream away. Looks like we should kiss this dream away. Well, I never make you happy so I shoudn't even try I'll only make you suffer Looks like we should kiss this dream away. I telling you now, telling you now, only a fool would trust me Only a fool would trust me. Only a fool would trust me Only a fool would trust me. I can see it in your eyes Proving my worst fears. I can see I'm hurting you..... I warn you now, I'm obsessive and I'm jealous, I've a need for love That's all I ever think about. But day by day and dream by dream my taste for belongingness is being Choked be distrust and fear.

Even though most folks wanna tart him up, I've never heard him say one way or another. Still, here's to all those die-hard Mexican fans who just know he is. The only dude who can rock a hearing aid, gladiolas in his back pocket, a chest-revealing satin shirt while memorializing serial killers in song.

"I TOOK UP WITH FAGGOT DADAISTS WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN FACES!"[/b]

Prolly my favorite suicidal homo-poet. Sucked dick for pocket change. Lived a life that's still getting sorted out. My dude just called and said he found the album on wax, complete with one sheet. Curious to see how they describe this record? FIND A HURT PLACE AND DONT EVER LET IT HEAL...

If you dare condemn his life it will come after you with a sharpened rake...

I'm really into a lot of that riot grrrl dyke rock shit as well. They got some good stuff to say. The shows are always energetic. Spitboy in the '90s playing Oakland warehouses where the toughest of dudes were scared to hang out. I've seen more than one drunk dude crumble in front of Adrianne after calling her a "cunt" or "bitch" or "dyke." Good times.

(You guys are probably joking. But I ain't.)

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

Prolly my favorite suicidal homo-poet. Sucked dick for pocket change. Lived a life that's still getting sorted out. My dude just called and said he found the album on wax, complete with one sheet. Curious to see how they describe this record? FIND A HURT PLACE AND DONT EVER LET IT HEAL...

If you dare condemn his life it will come after you with a sharpened rake...

I'm really into a lot of that riot grrrl dyke rock shit as well. They got some good stuff to say. The shows are always energetic. Spitboy in the '90s playing Oakland warehouses where the toughest of dudes were scared to hang out. I've seen more than one drunk dude crumble in front of Adrianne after calling her a "cunt" or "bitch" or "dyke." Good times.

(You guys are probably joking. But I ain't.)

Bam, who is this?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Bam, who is this?

Face
    by Steven Jesse Bernstein[/b]

The following is pure fiction. Actually, I have been handsome and popular all my life.

There has always been something wrong with my face. "Look in the mirror, Stevie," my mother said, holding me up so I could see my face. "See? There's Stevie!" The little ears stuck out. That was the first thing I noticed. The two ears. And though the hair was pasted down with suave, and brushed neatly into a regular boy's hairdo, a few springy locks had popped loose - curly hair. Aagh. The nose was a pale blob of cold putty. Had the police already gotten to me? No, I was born like that. At two, my face already looked like the face of a convict. But the eyes and chin were pretty! Pretty.

When I was four, I got polio. I was paralyzed from the neck down. I could barely turn my head. My flesh withered. I didn't see my face again until I was five and a half. The cheeks had collapsed. A young death's head: taut, boney, unlined forehead, the chin had turned hard like a frozen lily. The eyes glowed the color of green figs. I opened my mouth; a blood-soaked bird's nest in which the mother bird had been killed and her fetal offspring left to die in their unhatched eggs. A mouth full of meat and feathers and tiny white coffins. A fat pink worm snarled from the red gash in my face. I watched my tongue moving in the mirror, enthralled.

Red was my favorite color. I took a tube of my mother's red lipstick and made big red Xs on all my dad's business stationary. My father hit me in the face hard. I always wanted a red face and black hair. Strait black hair, dark crimson face. Instead I had curly mouse hair and a bleached pink face. I thought of cutting my face up with a razor and pouring shoe polish on my head, slicing off my ears. I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. The blood was a pathetic little dribble. I cried.

When I was six I got glasses. The glasses' temples pushed my ears out even further and made them swell and blush a painful pink. Other kids made fun of me. I was the scrawniest kid in the whole school, too. I walked with my toes pointed in because of the polio and I had to wear big, bulbous, orthopedic shoes. My face mirrored my self- consciousness and embarrassment, probably even in my sleep. All through my school years I was one of the ugly kids. My mother bought me a pair of stylish black horn- rimmed glasses. They only enhanced my pallor. Other kids' faces turned brown in the summer. Mine looked like a cheap mask of blistered pink rubber from a joke shop.

In the fifth grade, I proposed to a girl named Denise Johnson, out on the lunch court. White blobs of seagull and pigeon shit rained form the sky. Denise said she wanted me to propose properly, between the gym and the cafeteria, after school. I combed my regular boy's, and wiped my modern glasses. At ten after three, I met Denise between the two buildings. I was shivering and my mouth was dry and tasted horrible. I got down on my knees on the shit-splotched blacktop in front of Ms. Johnson. My mouth was just level with her groin. I looked up at her pretty brown face and long, strait, black hair. She looked down at my damp cheeks and smiled benignly. "Denise, you are the prettiest, smartest girl in the whole school. Will you marry me?" My insides chattered against each other as I spoke the words. My face was livid and silly. I could feel my eyeballs bulging in their bone sockets, my knees ached. "Ha ha ha ha ha! You're too ugly! You look like you've been whooped with an ugly stick! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!" Her face had changed to a contemptuous snarl. Misty lavender donuts of shame appeared in front of my eyes. Suddenly a mob of snickering boys and girls jumped out from around the back corner of the cafeteria. They surrounded us, laughing and jeering. I stood up, wobbling, a lump in my throat, my asshole pinched tight. Denise joined the circle of snapping cruel children. She stood next to Rudy Stoltz, the handsomest most popular boy in the school. They held hands. "Fuck you, Jew-ass Bern-butt!," said Rudy. I put my huge, clumsy hands over my face. A cantaloupe skin hit me in the ear. I could hear the kids wandering away, giggling and guffawing. When I took my hands away from my face, I was alone. There was a thin white and green drool of seagull shit on my tan jacket. I walked home through a network of alleys.

Finally, because of my face, I quit school in the eighth grade. I spent my days hiding out in the dark, humid garage doing chemistry experiments and writing in secret codes. Sometimes I'd sneak out the side door, walk to the nearest storm drain opening, squeeze in, and walk around in the complicated black maze of tunneling underneath Los Angeles. There were rats and black widow spiders down there. I imagined myself dead from spider bites, my face being chewed off by rats. I derived a mysterious feeling of solace from this prospect. No one would ever find me down there, and even if they did, I wouldn't have a face anymore.

My mother took me to some psychiatrists. They agreed that I was a very disturbed young man. I had taken to wearing a red-hooded sweatshirt with the drawstring on the hood pulled tight, so there was just a little hole, like a squinched up anal sphincter muscle, for me to peer out of. I wore a black Beatles wig over the red hood. I ate my meals alone in the garage. My mother would sometimes stand in the doorway crying. Finally, I threatened to cut her throat with a butcher knife and smear her blood all over my face if she didn't stay the fuck away from me. I poured a pint of black lacquer on my head and had to have my scalp shaved. I hadn't bathed or changed clothes in months. The doctors felt that I need to be hospitalized. My mother signed some papers. There was a brief court hearing during which I was declared insane and my custody handed over to the state of California. Nearly bald, laughing hysterically, and muttering, I was hand-cuffed and delivered by the Sheriff's Department to a gruesome state hospital in California's citrus belt. There, I discovered that there were people with far uglier faces than mine. Some of these people were so ghastly I couldn't look at them without wretching. After a few months though, I got used to them. Still, I couldn't make peace with my own dreadful visage. The doctors put me on medication, they talked to me. Nothing did any good.

Six months was the longest they could hold me legally. I was released and immediately hit the streets. I took up with faggot Dottists who didn't believe in faces. I tried makeup, I tried turning into a woman. [/b]I straightened my hair and dyed it black. I wore a monk's cowl, so that all I could see was the sidewalk and no one could see me at all. I never returned home. Never went back to school. Never saw Denise Johnson or Rudy Stoltz again.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Still, here's to all those die-hard Mexican fans who just know he is.
    What IS the deal w/ Mexican folks and Morrisy?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Really "gay" records that I love:

Erasure "Oh L'Amour" and "Chains Of Love"
    Wayne Wonder "Glad You Came My Way" (don't believe me? listen for yourself)
    Noel "Silent Morning"
    Lisa Santiago "Feels So Good" (even though Kingmost hates this song, I lose it when that synth part kicks in at 1:15--and I bet Coselmed would love it, too)
    Sonique "Feels So Good" (guess this is just a gay title, but this shit is kinda my jam)
    Alice DJ "Better Off Alone" (maybe it's because I dated a Swede for two years who was way into this song, but I still dig it. Side note: It translates really, really well as a ringtone)

Hi, Bambouche!

PS I'll be spinning hip-hop at a Gay Pride tent this summer. HATE ME NOW ('cause you hate yourself).

Still, here's to all those die-hard Mexican fans who just know he is.
    What IS the deal w/ Mexican folks and Morrisy?

The rebel hair. The romance. The sensible shoes.

Lisa Santiago "Feels So Good" (even though Kingmost hates this song, I lose it when that synth part kicks in at 1:15--and I bet Coselmed would love it, too)

You're right, I do like it. What year did this song come out? The synth sounds an awful lot like Moby's "Ain't Never Learned," but the pitch is different. (It sounds like someone was trying to mix in Rhythm is a Dancer at the end, which is not the best choice; I would have chosen Jocelyn Enriquez "A Little Bit (of Ecstasy)).

I don't think I can ever listen to that Sonique song again...Between the radio and gay clubs, it got way too much play.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

You're right, I do like it. What year did this song come out? The synth sounds an awful lot like Moby's "Ain't Never Learned," but the pitch is different. (It sounds like someone was trying to mix in Rhythm is a Dancer, which is not the best choice; I would have chosen Jocelyn Enriquez).

I don't think I can ever listen to that Sonique song again...Between the radio and gay clubs, it got way too much play.

Umm...1996? I think that's right. It was BIG in Austin (Latin Freestyle and all). The 12" I have has a different mix on it that starts with just the kick, then her voice, THEN that synth line. Far superior to the mix I linked to.