KING OF DIGGING (Another Toronto Show Thread)

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
As we've already read in several posts, the Toronto show was tonnes of fun. I got to meet many new strutters and nerd out with old friends. A highlight was having a table beside the one and only Beatdawg, whose crates were filled with next level Japanese heat and, of course, ILL DRAMA STABZ RARE. Much respect. Sadly missing was Soufriere, whose table I appropriated for my extra crates. The show was made particularly noteworthy by the presence of the King of Digging. The King and I spent a good fifteen minutes determining who sampled the records in my three dollar crates. Fortunately, we were aided by his sample guide. It was such an illuminating experience that I was only a little miffed when, after all our time together, he decided not to anything. This feeling was slightly offset by the satisfaction of his book demonstrating that no, I hadn't lied when I claimed that Tom Scott and Donny Hathaway had been sampled. Here is a little photographic essay.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The show was made particularly noteworthy by the presence of the King of Digging. The King and I spent a good fifteen minutes determining who sampled the records in my three dollar crates. Fortunately, we were aided by his sample guide. It was such an illuminating experience that I was only a little miffed when, after all our time together, he decided not to anything. This feeling was slightly offset by the satisfaction of his book demonstrating that no, I hadn't lied when I claimed that Tom Scott and Donny Hathaway had been sampled. Here is a little photographic essay.

CLASSIC

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude's vest is

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The show was made particularly noteworthy by the presence of the King of Digging. The King and I spent a good fifteen minutes determining who sampled the records in my three dollar crates. Fortunately, we were aided by his sample guide. It was such an illuminating experience that I was only a little miffed when, after all our time together, he decided not to anything. This feeling was slightly offset by the satisfaction of his book demonstrating that no, I hadn't lied when I claimed that Tom Scott and Donny Hathaway had been sampled. Here is a little photographic essay.

WOW.

"hmmm... Tom Scott...that sounds familliar..."

It's a damn shame. Doesn't that take all the fun out of it?

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

It's a damn shame. Doesn't that take all the fun out of it?

I remember before the internet really took off, there was a dude in town who was selling the book the kid is reading from for 100 bucks. The show sounds hype. wish i could have made it out.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts

X infinity

A new Soulstrut classic is born.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Is he using that yellow-covered softcover sample book published by the japanese?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is he using that yellow-covered softcover sample book published Holy Bible used by the japanese Spirit of Truth??

X infinity

I think this dude might be Le Troupe

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    As my man Chadski would say: "STUDYMASTER"

• This feeling was slightly offset by the satisfaction of his book demonstrating that no, I hadn't lied when I claimed that Tom Scott and Donny Hathaway had been sampled.

Sample Love... that book is dope. There are two versions, of which I only got the Orange (organized by sampling artists)... the Blue (organized by sampled artists) is infinitely more useful, and also out-of-print.

Kinda surprised the King of Digging didn't already have those two (the records, not the books)!

Peace...
    FNM

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    did the dude buy any records?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

he's got that new RAER guide that tells you whether or not to purchase DONNY HATHAWAY LPS.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo player, don't sleep on donny hathaway for 3 bucks. that tom scott has a nice break, you're sleeping.

• mojoworkinmojoworkin 283 Posts
    I didn't hit this show as it was held in a part of town that is being reclaimed by hipsters.

I can't fucking stand hipsters.

I decided yesterday would be a good time to drop $100 at Cosmos West though!

They have a copy of 'S.O.U.L.' and 'Hot Chocolate' on the wall there now for all you beatdiggaz/breakz/samplez folks!

Ari still run Cosmos? How much was Hot Chocolate?

I didn't hit this show as it was held in a part of town that is being reclaimed by hipsters.

I can't fucking stand hipsters.

I decided yesterday would be a good time to drop $100 at Cosmos West though!

They have a copy of 'S.O.U.L.' and 'Hot Chocolate' on the wall there now for all you beatdiggaz/breakz/samplez folks!

I better get over there right now, I read somewhere that S.O.U.L has mad samples on it, I've never heard of Hot Chocolate, that's a really common record isn't it... on the wall?

Aki still runs Cosmos. How much was Hot Chocolate?

$1000 I think?

I am content to buy Japanese Emarcy/Savoy jazz titles that no 'beatdiggaz' want. And at low prices!

I love how Aki still mans the 'original' store and lets his employees describe records to him over the phone for pricing!!!

Works for me!

I better get over there right now, I read somewhere that S.O.U.L has mad samples on it, I've never heard of Hot Chocolate, that's a really common record isn't it... on the wall?

Sarcasm?

Sarcasm?

we could have kept this going, but you've ruined it now.

Sarcasm?

we could have kept this going, but you've ruined it now.

yours for the bargain price of $750. On the wall at Cosmos for $1000.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I never leave home without my printed copy of the whole Popsike site

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Ha... looks like fun. Glad to see you back, Dan. Has Rory "StopandCop" Johnstone retired from digging?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    did the dude buy any records?

Not from me. Apparently he reserved ten LPs from beatdawg for the duration of the show and, after consolting his bible, opted only to buy one.

Ha... looks like fun. Glad to see you back, Dan. Has Rory "StopandCop" Johnstone retired from digging?

I didn't see Rory there. I think I heard he was a hollertronix style DJ now or something like that. Librairies were a big ticket item at the show.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I posted a pic in another thread. He's got 3 of each at the shop. I just walked in an did a pull from the shelf and pulled out some crazy heat. There's so much not even out yet. Its really nice...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

X infinity

Amazing!!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    This reminds me of last show up here. Some young doud was listening to impressions "this is my country" on his portable, dropped the needle on the title track and then did not buy the record. minty for $5. Apparently not up to snuff. Shit I bought a copy of curtis "america today' that same day. But why would you needle drop on an impressions LP you don't have??

Another odd thing I noticed at the show was the intensity with which people scrutinised the condition of my $3 jazz records. They were there bucks a pop! Come on! I got the sense that if I had been charging $10, no one would have cared so much about whether they were VG+ instead of NM.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    As we've already read in several posts, the Toronto show was tonnes of fun. I got to meet many new strutters and nerd out with old friends. A highlight was having a table beside the one and only Beatdawg, whose crates were filled with next level Japanese heat and, of course, ILL DRAMA STABZ RARE. Much respect. Sadly missing was Soufriere, whose table I appropriated for my extra crates.

yo son! CALLING ALL JAPANEESE DUDES WHO BUY RECORDS "MURO" IS A REALLY GOOD FUCKING LOOK!

MMM..OKAY! O'RLY! BARRAGE OF GRAEMLINS!

JUST START CALLING EVERY BLACK-DUDE WHO BUYS RECORDS "SOULMAN" AND EVERY LATINO DUDE DIGGING "SUPREME"