10 most important moments in soulstrut history?

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    dreidel came back on under a different name....he told me some of yall came at him with that, your a newjack loser attitude..never been back since. hes doing his thing tho..

Didn't somebody pull the newbie card on you or your partner Amir (david_wingate) when you started posting here too? People are too quick with the cute attitude sometimes.

Wow, when did reynaldo switch from this relative verbosity to his current deadpan one-syllabisms?

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    #11: emo psych offshoot called Dermy

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    definitely big parts of soulstrut history...

- Bean dip offa Stark, son.

I would say we need to save THIS THREAD as a remedy
    for whenever people talk about the "good old days" of the Strut -
    despite the comedy of bean dip, I think it shows the board has come a
    looooooong way.

Highlights:

one guy wants to buy all the Herb Alpert records and burn them
    so nobody will see them in thrift stores anymore.

another guy defends Herb Alpert because he "found an open kick
    & snare" on whipped cream & other delights.

someone else wants to buy "it's becasue i'm black" (?) by Syl
    Johnson and a copy of Skull Snaps that he would sample and then
    sell for "$1000"

yet another guy says "it's becasue i'm black" isn't a very good
    album except for the title track and thank god he only bought the repress.

so basically soul strut 2002 reads like thebreaks.com 2006

Yeah, its so much better now that losers like you are here. GTFOOHWTBS!

Old Soulstrut Threads > Your life.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Can't take a joke, doggie?

You could always eat a dick.

SMH @ YBS.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Can't take a joke, doggie?

You could always eat a dick.

SMH @ YBS.

nah, just playing man. But you did diss the beandip thread. You know?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    But you did diss the beandip thread. You know?

Never that, son - beandip is classic, I know.

Just having a little fun with the old threads.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    there never was another beat off was there? someone should set it off.

There was another beat off for Whipped Cream And Other Delights. It was good.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    "I pay to post here" & the subsequent banning was a pretty big moment.

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    To the dude that asked about mingering mike.... it's a LONG story, and yeah, it really is interesting. You could google it though and find out all about him.

Okay, I remember reading about that guys stuff in a newspaper. So which strutter posted his work? What happened then?

As I understand it, Secret Chimp first posted it up, then he and Fatback went back to obtain more MM items. The finds were picked up by outsider art fans and communities and created a buzz online. The NY Times later did an article on it. I don't know the chronology very well, but at some point Chimp and Fatback tracked down Mike and got him involved in displaying the art in galleries. Dori (aka Secret Chimp) has been working on a Mingering Mike book, as well as releasing original Mingering Mike reel to reel recordings (hopefully through another strutter's label).

That's the highly condensed version and I'm sure I missed something.

Thanks man.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Respect is due to the "Break in the Road" thread and CD for Katrina victims. If it doesn't equal HeatRock it's almost there.

Other memorable moments are the James Trouble vs Dcarfagna beef, and Phil Most's photo-thread where his kids ruin his raers.

Peace

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Respect is due to the "Break in the Road" thread and CD for Katrina victims. If it doesn't equal HeatRock it's almost there.

Other memorable moments are the James Trouble vs Dcarfagna beef, and Phil Most's photo-thread where his kids ruin his raers.

Peace

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    As with most things, the important moments aren't always the best, and some of the best moments, sadly, end up being not that important.

My votes for best: AI's "People...Hold On" movement. Mingering Mike. Let A Heat Rock Loose. Maybe the chains + black exhaust tracklisting thread. Most of what is good about soulstrut is a variation on one of those themes.

• iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
    le toupt was great, but when Iron Monkey made those fake le toupt posts about his bike, etc. those had me crying they were so funny.

awwww, thanks dood...

those were the days....

• iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
    4. MISS SHINGALING TELLS US TO DRINK A 40, SMOKE A BLUNT, AND GET LAID. It may have been the first of the million page threads. They happen all the time now, but I swear that was the first. And it was hilarious.

5. MONTY STARK SHOWS UP.

you're not going to believe this, but Miss Shing-a-ling, herself, was in my studio for a couple hours, one afternoon, sharing a bong with me, (but none of that other stuff). She got on-line, and the first site she hit was Soul Strut. i swear that's the truth... and then the "bean dip offa Stark" google thing happened days later.

heatrock is #1

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    LETS GET THIS UNTWISTED ONCE AND FOR ALL. FOR THE RECORD DIZZYKKKUNT BULL NEVER WON THAT BATTLE.
    HE POSTED A 30 SECOND SPOKEN WORD GOOF TRACK THAT WAS ALMOST FUNNY BUT MUSICALLY VOID OF ANY RAEL BRAEKS OR CONTENT.
    HE NEVER WAS ABLE TO OUT DO THIS[PRE EMOTICON I MIGHT FUCKIN ADD]

http://evolverov.com/killinit.mp3

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Wow....I forgot all about Le Toupt. That guy was the raddest thing ever.

What about the dude with the unibrow and the red adidas jumpsuits - didn't he coin breakbeat raer? What was his name again? This was all so long ago I can't remember nothing.

Hittin the Somerville (?) fair in Boston with Ashrock was fresh! Early morning masshole dealers in full effect! Got a sealed Black Belly of the Tarantula there for $8.00. Them's were the days.

There was the time I was in London and Ill Bill Brewster took me to a pub to meet with a bunch of the UK Soulstrut team - I can't remember any of their names though....forgive me - it was a minute ago.

Having Bill on here was the shit though! He had me over to his crib when I was out there and dude showed my crraaaaaaazzzzzyyyy no wave records and put me up on a lot of game - including how to cook a salmon filet juuuuust right (dude was trained chef before he blew up in the book world) Homie also took me to the London premiere of Maestro - seeing that shit on the big screen was

I remember all of us at one time or another just posting "hey - I just got a weird message from Monty Stark." I saw this was covered earlier - but no one mentioned how he started as a lurker - just PMing people every time they gave him props. ILL.

Met Raj and Iron Monkey out in NY too at WFMU. Shit was fun. I think that was the time that Damo Suzuki was the special guest there and maybe even sang a little? That was bugged. I remember SWEATING some dude for his jumbo print Gang Starr Mass Appeal shirt (the cover of the 12" BLASTED across a tee shirt - on some outisde the concert the shit - FRESH).

Lotsa memories on the board....lotsa em.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I must admit that soulstrut gave me some unforgetable moments...My top 5 would be
    -The pap day : you know y'all made me loose a friend!!! I mean i knew Pap before and when this shit went down, he disapeared off the Net. Y'all literraly chased him out the web with this shit. he was a cool dood. But y'all killed him. Literally. He didn't forgive me for posting here so i stop receiving emails. At the same time, i really laughed hard back when the pap thing exploded.
    -Let a Heatrock loose : the reason why i stay tuned in. I only check three boards on the Net and Heatrock made me think again about the human kind and his possible generosity. It was touching and useful. Major props.
    -Boma Funk : sorry but i prefered that one over mingering mike. I did a couple of covers myself.
    -Real Headz Sekshun :

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    y'all killed him. Literally.

Rest in peace

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    -The pap day : you know y'all made me loose a friend!!! I mean i knew Pap before and when this shit went down, he disapeared off the Net. Y'all literraly chased him out the web with this shit. he was a cool dood. But y'all killed him. Literally. He didn't forgive me for posting here so i stop receiving emails. At the same time, i really laughed hard back when the pap thing exploded.

FALSE

http://derpap.blogspot.com/

• dayday 9,611 Posts

b/w

noz, you deserve a P.I. license. I didn't even know...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

ill personell such as Miroslav Vitous and Alphonse Mouzon.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

ill personell such as Miroslav Vitous and Alphonse Mouzon.

http://derpap.blogspot.com/2007/05/may-4th-official-pap-day-over-at-breaks.html

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

- The Original SoulStrut Erotic Diggin Fiction back in 2001? 2002?

- Puto Bong Bong VS AP Rap Battle

i forgot about Puto Bong Bong...that was a good one too.

• Other memorable moments are the James Trouble vs Dcarfagna beef, and Phil Most's photo-thread where his kids ruin his raers.

Can the Ghost Bumper find these two????

• LETS GET THIS UNTWISTED ONCE AND FOR ALL. FOR THE RECORD DIZZYKKKUNT BULL NEVER WON THAT BATTLE.
    HE POSTED A 30 SECOND SPOKEN WORD GOOF TRACK THAT WAS ALMOST FUNNY BUT MUSICALLY VOID OF ANY RAEL BRAEKS OR CONTENT.
    HE NEVER WAS ABLE TO OUT DO THIS[PRE EMOTICON I MIGHT FUCKIN ADD]

http://evolverov.com/killinit.mp3

I DESTROOOOYYYYYYED YOU!!!!

MUHAHAHAH!!!

AND NEXT I WILL DESTROY THE WOOOOOORRRRRLLLLLDDDDD WITH HUGGGGSSSS!!!!!!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The week-long board crashes where everybody starting wreaking havoc on The Breaks, Stones Throw, Vinyl Vulture and Okay Player

Your Favorite Popeye's Side Order: The longest running and largest thread that didn't involve race debates, beef or whatever. I'm amazed that such an out-of-blue topic struck such a enthusiastic chord with so many people here. Love that Cajun rice!

• -Let a Heatrock loose .

what was this?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    -Let a Heatrock loose .

what was this?

For Katrina, we all decided that we would all sell some of the most valuable records in all of our collections, like SERIOUS pieces like Stark Reality and East Of Underground. We all had a little bidding war up on here, and in the end all the money that was raised was donated to a charity (or charities.) Deep Stank had his company match the donations and I think we all in all raised over 100 grand. It was Bambouche who facilitated it.

Definitely Soulstrut's finest hour, without question. Nothing else comes close.