Aloe Blacc - Shine Through

djcommiedjcommie 31 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Listenin to this album--not bad, it's growing on me too just in the last 30 minutes.A couple cuts: "One Inna," one of the soul cuts with a light sample (Madlib). "Untitled II," one of the Latin-tinged songs.One InnaUntitled II

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    word i heard some new single while on vacation (It might be the latin joint-REAL DOPE!)

meandmymanhavetwotrackscomingoutwithhimhopefullybythesummer

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    These are dope. Two completely different styles. I'm digging it.

• i can't get down with any of his stuff.
    thanks for the mp3's though.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    It's fuckin' great stuff.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i really like a good portion of this album. i like more of the soul tracks but this caged birdsong track is cool. the production really stands out on this. please don't let this destroy my street cred.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Wow, those were terrible.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    dont let the stones throw thing fool you, this is actually a good album

• slushslush 691 Posts
    also, the track where he is waiting for the bus is amazing

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

not really sure what this means. i've got nothing but respect for the stones throw dudes. haven't heard this album or these tracks yet, but talk about conflicting reviews!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

not really sure what this means. i've got nothing but respect for the stones throw dudes. haven't heard this album or these tracks yet, but talk about conflicting reviews!
    the album doesn't really fit in with the rest of the stones throw stuff

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    For some reason, I've never been the biggest fan of his singing---but, I'm liking the album anyway. Especially the latin infused tracks..........

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I've heard some of it, I have the single that came out last year and I love the second side.

It's not for everyone, It's different than say something like Dwele - But i'm a fan of Dwele's singing and that smooth RnB shit that would make a lot of people cringe.

• dont let the stones throw thing fool you, this is actually a good album

the album doesn't really fit in with the rest of the stones throw stuff
    True the rest of the Stones Throw Stuff is way better. That does not mean the Aloe Blac Album is not good.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Tip: Download the album legally on emusic (on trial membership if you're not a member. Dance for life is one of my favourite tracks of the year, definitely. I like the album, even though some of the tracks feel more like "this is a beat and I'm singing over it" than complete songs. I support Stones Throws every move, even though I definitely don't celebrate their entire catalogue.

This is really an amazing album. I can't even really call it a rap album though, more like a soul (folk?) electronic album. Dude really pushed himself here and it come right w/o being contrived. This is a million times better than almost any album stonesthrow has ever put out (yes I liked the lootpack, the quasimoto LP, and various YNQ...)

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I really wanted to like this album. I bought it without even listening to it 'cause a buncha folks highly recommended it, and.... I dunno, maybe I need to listen to it some more. But I'm really not feeling dude's singing voice. A few of the beats are real dope but... overall I was dissapointed.

I really wanted to like this album. I bought it without even listening to it 'cause a buncha folks highly recommended it, and.... I dunno, maybe I need to listen to it some more. But I'm really not feeling dude's singing voice. A few of the beats are real dope but... overall I was dissapointed.

you don't like black music, dude!

Where you feelin' Dudley though?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    more like a soul (folk?) electronic album

Is that like folk-funk? And with electronica, you say?

more like a soul (folk?) electronic album

Is that like folk-funk? And with electronica, you say?

the album is really all over place (in a good way). He raps on some, sings on others, does a couple accapella songs (singing), does some latin tracks in spanish, even does some broken-beat stuff.

pssshhh... you KNOW we got different tastes when it comes to this type of stuff.

I was feeling the Dudley a lot! Because:

1)Madlib's beats were super focused on it.
    2)Dudley is just doing him, he's not trying to come off like a serious singer.

pssshhh... you KNOW we got different tastes when it comes to this type of stuff.

I was feeling the Dudley a lot! Because:

1)Madlib's beats were super focused on it.
    2)Dudley is just doing him, he's not trying to come off like a serious singer.

I need to check the 2015 joint. I really liked "YOU SO FONKAY DUDLAAAY" b/w "testin' me". Shit..i'll play it thursday.

yeah... Ima listen to this Aloe again right now at work. I was in a pretty bad mood for the first go around. It deserves another shot...

• "nigga get out the circle..."

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

"nigga get out the circle..."

damn that old shit's on there? i wonder how many of these tracks were old ones. in 97 you could mail this dude 5 bucks cash and he'd send you a few tapes that had to be made on a 4 track. then he got some wax pressed (as emanon with that guy dj exile), which i have and actually kinda like still. now he's on stones throw singing electronifolkyfunk? or should we call this electrofonk? big ups to the dude for finally getting his product out there. i'll have to check this out.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    Will Jneiro Jarel fans like this?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

"nigga get out the circle..."

What, a dude can't evolve? That shit was over a decade ago.
    I would hate to be making the same music over and over again for the rest of my life.

• "nigga get out the circle..."

What, a dude can't evolve?

dude can evolve all he wants he just can't sing that's all.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

dude can evolve all he wants he just can't sing that's all.

Nice capri pants, bro.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like the cut w/ the joyce guitar roop........well I'm just a sucker for that joyce cut though.