Starting a jazz collection....

2»

Comments

• vocal jazz is worth a try, too

e.g.

"marlena shaw - live at montreux"

please give me a starter copy of this

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

some good ones to start with that are worth keeping throughout your jazz venture.

waste at least $100 on dollar bin shit though to make sure you know what you like.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

Big cosign on this one.

Which reminds me that Joe Henderson is always one to check out.

Ron Carter
    Louie Armstrong (Hot Fives and Hot Sevens - always good to start at the roots!)
    Mingus - Cosign
    Monk - Cosign
    Hank Mobley
    Lee Morgan - Cosign
    Lester Young
    Eric Dolphy - Cosign

And if no one mentioned it yet, Atlantic is a label to check as well...

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Jimmy Smith shoulda got a mention before page 3, anyways Jimmy Smith

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Thelonious Monk

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    A lot of great stuff mentioned already, but this album is a must.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    For vocal jazz, check out Nancy Wilson meets Cannonball Adderly. That's just a gem. Also Lee Morgan's 71 sessions are very good. Anything joe Henderson did in the 1960s is nice. When buying Miles definitely find out which of his groups you like best. The late 50s early 60s group with trane is the definition of classic, but the group with Herbie and Wayne Shorter is my favorite. Monk's stuff is all great, but I am partial to his columbia recordings from the 1960s. Trane's stuff is all great, but he gets very difficult to listen to around crescent, when he starts playing sheets of sound. A good comp is the gentle side of coltrane. Clifford Brown's catalogue is all good. I also recommend Fats Navaro, who had a similar style.

Stay away from boots randolph, most 1970s herbie mann and anything on the GRP label.

Also in the 1970s, there is a series of double albums dedicated to masters like Lee Morgan, Horace Silver etc.. they are usually much cheaper and have choice cuts on them. definitely dollar bin.

Clifford Brown's catalogue is all good.

how could i forget. the men who set the bar for chops on a trumpet. bad motherfucker all around. celebrate the catalogue.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    If you're coming from the funk end, Eddie Harris might be a good transition.

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    Thanks to all for the suggestions!!!!

If you're coming from the funk end, Eddie Harris might be a good transition.

Fuck with Turbulence. Kinda rare and really nice 2xLP, the title song is very necessary. from rock to funk to avant and back again for 8 or 9 minutes. Loved it.