New York City Tourist Attractions? (NRR)

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going sight-seeing in NYC for seven days in August (first time there). Already booked. Rockefeller center hotel. Now I need to do some more specific planning.What is to see, do, take-in, soak up, imbibe?What's underrated/overrated?Help a tour??st out.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    5 pager rager

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    Word i am in NYC for 4 days in june, i want to know some shits. gonna goto the MEMA, the fiancee been bugging about that,..

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I actually enjoyed the harbor um boat tour that circles around the bridge, etc last summer. Ellis Island if you've never been, maybe? I went years ago though.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    what's the MEMA?

every Saturday during the Summer there's a nice party at the Moma in Queens...always good dj's and tons of people dancing outdoors...and art of course.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    i thought gettin the statan island ferry was ill. she got to see the statue and i goto to tell my friends i've been to the place wu tang come from.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    what's the MEMA?

Museum Ef Modern Art

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    cpr is referring to ps1. When the weather is nice, it is a good way to spend a lazy afternoon people watching while listening to some music outdoors.

moma meanwhile has free admission on Friday afternoon from 4:30pm I think. You save $20, but expect large crowds. Not that rey rey can't afford to pay the $20 for a more grown and secluded experience.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    head to Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

designed by Olmsted and Vaux (who did Central Park), it was considered by them to be a superior creation.

also the site of one of the major battles of the Revolutionary War.

"A battle was fought in Brooklyn...much of the fighting took place in what is now Prospect Park..."

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'll be there in a couple weeks. So far all I know is that we're going to see The Lion King on Broadway.

Herm

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    head to Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

designed by Olmsted and Vaux (who did Central Park), it was considered by them to be a superior creation.

also the site of one of the major battles of the Revolutionary War.

"A battle was fought in Brooklyn...much of the fighting took place in what is now Prospect Park..."

I spent a lot of time as a child at Prospect Park....are the Botanical Gardens still nearby??

My earliest memories as a kid in Brooklyn was living in a place called the Vanderveer Apartments/Projects.....are they still there and what is that area like these days???

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Ellis Island & Lower East Side Tenament Tour (these two should appeal to your "hustler" mentality, Rey)

Ground Zero

Shop in Soho (they might be selling taste by now, not sure)

Take a list of top restaurants and eenie-meenie-minie-moe them shits

Central Park on the nicest day, lay out in the meadow

Coney Island (one of the last real NY attractions)

NY Yankees game

Go to Difara Pizza (best slice in NYC) and walk around Midwood (real NY/different shit)

Good Records NYC
    The Sound Library
    A-1
    Academy
    Gimme Gimme
    Deadly Dragon Sound
    etc

• TenyuTenyu 30 Posts

Go to Difara Pizza (best slice in NYC)

Been years for me, last time I went waited 45 minutes with no one ahead in line. Dude took 10 minutes to slice the prosciutto and onions.

• QT hotel off times square - Sat nights see the indoor pool by the bar getting fresh with asian girls in bikinis dancing on tables while the DJ throws down early 80s electro....

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Go to Difara Pizza (best slice in NYC)

Son, Difara's is in BK right? That's not NYC mayne. BEST pizza is at Lombardi's in Manhattan. Here we go with the pizza wars again! LOL

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Chan,

NYC consists of all 5 borough, brudah.

Take a walk through the park at riverside drive, and walk down to the hudson for sunset. most relaxing thing in NYC.

Oh, and my pick for pizza is Carmines on Graham Ave in BK... a swift walk away from Brooklyn Acadeny Annex, which, sorry johnny, has recently been the best record shop in the city. ESPECIALLY for pricey, South American, Psych.

Chan,

Take a walk through the park at riverside drive, and walk down to the hudson for sunset. most relaxing thing in NYC.

Really? BK is it's own city right? So all 5 boroughs are part of NYC? I thought NYC was just Manhattan. In the 1950s Brooklyn was the third largest city in the U.S. Sorry JP, Not trying to discredit your geography skills mayne.

Brooklyn Acadeny Annex, which, sorry johnny, has recently been the best record shop in the city. ESPECIALLY for pricey, South American, Psych.

Tom you've never spent much money with me and I don't expect you to start now, but there's really no need to have a record shop competition within this big city. We all do our thing.

Reynaldo -

There's really no telling where you'll find your shit. Of my many customers, I can't really say there's one store over another where everyone swears by. You have your A-1 guys, your TSL guys, your Academy guys, and so on. One of the few cities in the US with a bunch of world class shops.

Chan,

Really? BK is it's own city right? So all 5 boroughs are part of NYC? I thought NYC was just Manhattan. In the 1950s Brooklyn was the third largest city in the U.S. Sorry JP, Not trying to discredit your geography skills mayne.

Just checked with Ma Dukes, A Brooklyn native and she said she thinks Brooklyn was its own city until the mid 1800's when it became the borough of Brooklyn and part of NYC. I think I was confused because whenever people say "The City" they are referring to Manhattan.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    and walk around Midwood (real NY/different shit)

But watch out: Midwood boasts one of the higher concentrations of hassidic Jews outside of Boro Park and Crown Heights. I hear they're bad drivers.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Chan,

New York City (also known by the initials NYC), officially the City of New York, is the most populous city in the United States and the most densely populated major city in North America. Located in the state of New York, New York City has a population of over 8.1 million [1] within an area of 321 square miles (approximately 830 km??). [2]
    The city is a center for international finance, fashion, entertainment and culture, and is widely considered to be one of the world's major global cities with an extraordinary collection of museums, galleries, performance venues, media outlets, international corporations and financial markets. It is also home to the headquarters of the United Nations.
    The New York metropolitan area has a population of about 22 million, which makes it one of the largest urban areas in the world. [3] The city proper consists of five boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. With the exception of Staten Island, each of these boroughs is home to at least a million people and would be among the nation's largest cities if considered independently.
    Nicknamed "the Big Apple", the city attracts large numbers of immigrants, with over a third of its population foreign born. Moreover, it attracts people from all over the United States, who come for its culture, energy, cosmopolitanism, and economic opportunity. At present, the city has the lowest crime rate among the 25 largest American cities.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_New_York

and walk around Midwood (real NY/different shit)

But watch out: Midwood boasts one of the higher concentrations of hassidic Jews outside of Boro Park and Crown Heights. I hear they're bad drivers.

You're right, I live one neighborhood away and it's a constant menace to peaceful living!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Buick Minivans for DAYS!

Buick Minivans for DAYS!

Lanes and lights do not apply!

• Chan,

Oh, and my pick for pizza is Carmines on Graham Ave in BK... a swift walk away from Brooklyn Acadeny Annex, which, sorry johnny, has recently been the best record shop in the city. ESPECIALLY for pricey, South American, Psych.

Carmine's pizza is average in all respects. Not a terrible place to have around your spot - especially as there isn't that much else around - but their pizza isn't even the best in neighborhood, let alone the borough or the city of New York. And, to recommend it to a tourist is

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    have you been their recently? i'll take it over lombardi's any day, but thats just me.

trying to son people about pizza recommendations =

• Yo, if you find that the city is getting to you and you need a break, I recommend catching a flick at the Ziegfeld Theater. It's quite a sight and if you go at an off hour, you can find yourself sitting alone in a palace.

In the summer, there is always something interesting going on in one of the parks for free. Look at schedules for Summerstage and Celebrate Brooklyn to start.

If you go to the tenement tour suggested by Johnny, don't miss out on Guss' pickles down there. I don't know if it is part of the tour or not, but it's right around the museum and you don't want to miss it.

If you want to blow a wad of cash on dinner, I suggest Il Mulino. I'd venture to say it's the best Italian food outside of Italy and is an experience in and of itself.

The best things about New York are its neighborhoods, you'd be better served by steering clear of places like Times Square and Canal Sreet - two locations that are like mosquito lanterns to tourists.

• Up until 6 months ago I used to eat there at least twice a week, more out of necessity than anything else.

The Ziegfield is tight.

They should also be starting up the nightime flicks in Bryant Park pretty soon.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    if you are there the first weekend of the month, i HIGHLY reccomend checking out the rub... i had a blast at that shit

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Fifty cent franks at papaya's, (now 75 cents). Definitely walk central park. If you like pastrami, hit up katzs. And for the record, best slice pizza in manhattan is sal and carmines, 101 and broadway...