KWELI DOO DOO LOGO CONTEST NOW OPENED!

2»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    realized that seeing a black man with equal footing in the world wasn't "keeping it real".

no, it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that dude. sucks. at. rapping.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    c'mon what seems more "real" to most hip hop fans?

this

or this

Somethin' in between

How can you expect one to maintain a painfully simplistic world view when you keep introducing concepts such as "reality"?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How can you expect one to maintain a painfully simplistic world view when you keep introducing concepts such as "reality"?

• realized that seeing a black man with equal footing in the world wasn't "keeping it real".

no, it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that dude. sucks. at. rapping.

plenty of artists that get celebrated her suck at rapping, it's got to be something more than that that makes Talib such a target of the "hatt "mob mentality on this site.

I still say his subject matter and image makes a lot of strutters feel uncomfortable

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    Out of all the fuckers in rap, you people have no one better to hate on than somebody like Talib? Y'all dudes never cease to amaze me, I swear.

When did he go from backpackers delight to the human target? Just wondering. He's a serious punching bag for a lot of cats on here. Wasnt he mad loved a a minute ago?

he's a black man who doesn't rap about selling crack and treating women like hoes. I've even heard him talk about some sell out shit like getting an education, how is a mostly white group of "rap" fans supposed to respect that?

He hardly deserves the respect of a Jim Jones or Rick Ross

True, but werent his early Soundbombing tracks well celebrated by the caucasoids?

yes but those caucasoids grew up, finished college and realized that seeing a black man with equal footing in the world wasn't "keeping it real". I mean how can you make good post-collegiate music? no one wants to hear a rapper talking about surviving without doing illegal shit. Can you imagine an actual black person being able to say something worth listening to about raising a family, or even love? Thats the kind of subject that it feels more comfortable coming out of the mouth of other white people. Its best if we keep black youth relegated to stories of ghetto hustling, especially drug dealing and pimping.

But those grown up caucasoids will suck on P.E. 'till the end of time but will shut down Talib Kwali.

I'm not a "fan" but this cat iz far from doo-doo.

Kweli's not into a stereotyped gangsta thing, and I respect that crazily. But even if he's talking about surviving without doing illegal shit, even if he's able to say something worth listening to about raising a family, or even love... This fucking logo contest is the only reason why I hate him at the moment. Paying a dude $ 1000 for his logo that will belong to a major company isn't fair, isn't talking about love and definitely won't help the dude who made the logo in raising a family! Business rules. Legal shit!

I'm a bit fed up with big companys that are exploiting people like me. At the moment I work stupidly so much to earn a bit less than peanuts. So, learning that Kweli & his major are planning to exploit a dude like me is a deception, that makes me angry.

realized that seeing a black man with equal footing in the world wasn't "keeping it real".

plenty of artists that get celebrated her suck at rapping, it's got to be something more than that that makes Talib such a target of the "hatt "mob mentality on this site.

I still say his subject matter and image makes a lot of strutters feel uncomfortable

KUFIKRYPTONITE

could be. I will cease weighing in here because I have always had a particular aversion to his rapping. Like even when strutters were trading Rawkus 12"s in '96 I always thought this guy was garbage.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    having known and hung out with and performed next to Talib, it's weird to hear yalls theories on why people don't like dude.

To me it's pretty obvious - he's not a great (to some, even good) rapper but he thinks of himself as such. I don't think it's rocket science to figure that such an attitude invites more intense criticism.

That said, I'm not mad at dude. Sometimes his public statements are a bit.... humorous

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Out of all the fuckers in rap, you people have no one better to hate on than somebody like Talib? Y'all dudes never cease to amaze me, I swear.

When did he go from backpackers delight to the human target? Just wondering. He's a serious punching bag for a lot of cats on here. Wasnt he mad loved a a minute ago?

he's a black man who doesn't rap about selling crack and treating women like hoes. I've even heard him talk about some sell out shit like getting an education, how is a mostly white group of "rap" fans supposed to respect that?

True, but werent his early Soundbombing tracks well celebrated by the caucasoids?

yes but those caucasoids grew up, finished college and realized that seeing a black man with equal footing in the world wasn't "keeping it real". I mean how can you make good post-collegiate music? no one wants to hear a rapper talking about surviving without doing illegal shit. Can you imagine an actual black person being able to say something worth listening to about raising a family, or even love? Thats the kind of subject that it feels more comfortable coming out of the mouth of other white people.

IMG SRC=http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/9302/raceprospector3di.gif>

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

yes but those caucasoids grew up, finished college and realized that seeing a black man with equal footing in the world wasn't "keeping it real". I mean how can you make good post-collegiate music? no one wants to hear a rapper talking about surviving without doing illegal shit. Can you imagine an actual black person being able to say something worth listening to about raising a family, or even love? Thats the kind of subject that it feels more comfortable coming out of the mouth of other white people.

Nice to see you hanging around again, Quo!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    This fucking logo contest is the only reason why I hate him at the moment. Paying a dude $ 1000 for his logo that will belong to a major company isn't fair, isn't talking about love and definitely won't help the dude who made the logo in raising a family! Business rules. Legal shit!

I'm a bit fed up with big companys that are exploiting people like me. At the moment I work stupidly so much to earn a bit less than peanuts. So, learning that Kweli & his major are planning to exploit a dude like me is a deception, that makes me angry.

This is bullshit, haven't heard about the contest before this, but isn't opening this up to the public a pretty good look for struggling graphic design guys like yourself? Don't you think Kweli knows tons of graf artists and designers who would do it as a favor? I'm sure the label would pay pro design houses serious bank for a logo, but he's giving everyone a shot, I think landing the logo would be pretty hot on the resume for any up and coming designer, and a g as well? Am I missing something here?

• This fucking logo contest is the only reason why I hate him at the moment. Paying a dude $ 1000 for his logo that will belong to a major company isn't fair, isn't talking about love and definitely won't help the dude who made the logo in raising a family! Business rules. Legal shit!

This is bullshit, haven't heard about the contest before this, but isn't opening this up to the public a pretty good look for struggling graphic design guys like yourself? Don't you think Kweli knows tons of graf artists and designers who would do it as a favor? I'm sure the label would pay pro design houses serious bank for a logo, but he's giving everyone a shot, I think landing the logo would be pretty hot on the resume for any up and coming designer, and a g as well? Am I missing something here?

not exactly,

I'm pretty sure a job like this should carry a much higher paycheck than a "g". This is a great way to exploit talent a la American Idol.

the liscensing amount on potential t-shirt sales alone would make this offer insulting

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    This fucking logo contest is the only reason why I hate him at the moment. Paying a dude $ 1000 for his logo that will belong to a major company isn't fair, isn't talking about love and definitely won't help the dude who made the logo in raising a family! Business rules. Legal shit!

not exactly,

I'm pretty sure a job like this should carry a much higher paycheck than a "g". This is a great way to exploit talent a la American Idol.

the liscensing amount on potential t-shirt sales alone would make this offer insulting

Don't know about the $1000 aspect of this deal, but isn't surrendering the rights to a logo to the client pretty normal? It would seem strange if the graphic artist could retain control of a logo they designed for a client. If that were the case, the artist could require the client to stop using the logo at their discretion, no? Seems that would be a very stupid move for the client to make. I mean, they are not just liscensing a piece of work you (the artist) previously created; this is work done specifically for a client to be used in an ongoing, widespread capacity.

• This fucking logo contest is the only reason why I hate him at the moment. Paying a dude $ 1000 for his logo that will belong to a major company isn't fair, isn't talking about love and definitely won't help the dude who made the logo in raising a family! Business rules. Legal shit!

not exactly,

Don't know about the $1000 aspect of this deal, but isn't surrendering the rights to a logo to the client pretty normal? It would seem strange if the graphic artist could retain control of a logo they designed for a client. If that were the case, the artist could require the client to stop using the logo at their discretion, no? Seems that would be a very stupid move for the client to make. I mean, they are not just liscensing a piece of work you (the artist) previously created; this is work done specifically for a client to be used in an ongoing, widespread capacity.

you could be right. As a show producer I deal with film and television licensing (clips, stills, paparazzi photo etc) there are quite a few cases of the original photographer retaining some of the rights even after they've sold it off to another company, for instance Annie Liebowitz owns at least a portion of the rights to her Rolling Stone Magazine covers and whenever we pay for one we are making out 2 checks.

Not sure how it works in other fields

not exactly,

by this justification sweatshop kids should be thankful to be able to get employment.

A job like this hsould carry a much higher paycheck than a "g"

That's it. If he gives a shot to anyone then why doesn't he pays the price that should cost a logo... This would be giving a real shot to anyone... This underpaid, under-rated, semi-shot makes me furious. Of course, pro design houses won't participate... Yes, the person that will make his logo will emerge from "nowhere"... at $ 1000 the logo for a major company, you'll get all his fanclub participating, point. I presume this is the company that Kweli's on contract with that organized this contest but the fact that it exists makes me presume Kweli cautions this way of getting nice stuff without working on it FOR CHEAP. That's it. Otherwise, I had more respect for him before.

I deleted the picture that brings uncomfortable feelings to some. Once again, this thread was not supposed to reach the rapper's performance and how you like it or not... It wasn't supposed to have any racial reach neither...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I deleted the picture that brings uncomfortable feelings to some. Once again, this thread was not supposed to reach the rapper's performance and how you like it or not... It wasn't supposed to have any racial reach neither...

Ce n'??tait qu'une bonne blague...les gens sur soulstrut r??agissent a tout et cherche a discuter les moindres d??tails et nuances. Je respecte Talib mais je n'ai pas ??t?? offens??. Le d??bat est hors-contexte face a ta blague

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    please re-up that pic g...

not exactly,

you could be right. As a show producer I deal with film and television licensing (clips, stills, paparazzi photo etc) there are quite a few cases of the original photographer retaining some of the rights even after they've sold it off to another company, for instance Annie Liebowitz owns at least a portion of the rights to her Rolling Stone Magazine covers and whenever we pay for one we are making out 2 checks.

Not sure how it works in other fields

Logos are expensive because the artist that creates it HAS to sell it definitively. There is no way to negociate rights of exploitation on a logo as it will not be exploited as a product. This is identity and it costs big $$$ when you're a big company. So, OK for giving a chance to anyone but give the winner big $$$, not $ 1000 plus a day with Kweli on tour, that's ridiculous and looks like the price of a fanclub's drawing contest. Like I said before, this sucks.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Ce n'??tait qu'une bonne blague...les gens sur soulstrut r??agissent a tout et cherche a discuter les moindres d??tails et nuances. Je respecte Talib mais je n'ai pas ??t?? offens??. Le d??bat est hors-contexte face a ta blague

What you say bout my momma?

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts

... But hey !!! He (or his manager) created a logo contest that is really insulting for any graphic designer. $ 1000 plus one day following Talib Kweli... That's it, straight in the ass! Your creation is not yours anymore and belongs to some major record company until eternity... SHIT ! That is insulting. How many is Kweli paid to write 3 rhymes?

i'm no fan of kweli's... matter of fact i think the only thing i own with him on it is jaylib, which i sure as hell didn't buy because of him...

but in all honesty, a $1000 prize for an INTERNET CONTEST is actually the most i've ever seen being offered. didn't dj swamp [BECK's DJ] just have a logo contest 2 months ago which only paid $200? we live in a day & age where people download photoshop for free. anyone who wants to be a designer, can be one... talib apparently isn't trying to go to a professional graphic designer, but would rather "turn to his fans". again, i'm no fan of his, but i don't think anyone should be INSULTED by this. if you consider yourself a true designer and work in the field, than you obviously haven't seen the amount of online classified ads by companies that only offer $100 for a logo. and they too, keep all rights and give you no credit anywhere. at least this fucker actually wants to meet the person that made the thing and get him/her into VIP section for a show & probably some blunts/drinks too. point being, it's really nothing to get your panties tangled up in.

...but please do feel free to submit as many doo-doo on a stick graphics as necessary. shit is cracking me up.

Hey... Internet contest or not, this is a logo and this should cost much more. I wasn't aware this was an usual practice... By reading you, Kweli even seems to pay much more than the common... Shit! Sucks even more than I thought.

About doo doos on a stick, this wasn't my idea. I don't think I'll make anymore of them...

But if I had to make a last one...

That should have been the first doo doo on a stick to make!

exacte.

please re-up that pic g...

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I don't care either way. I just want to see more photoshop doo doo.

I don't care either way. I just want to see more photoshop doo doo.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

That's it, straight in the ass! Your creation is not yours anymore and belongs to some major record company until eternity... SHIT ! That is insulting. How many is Kweli paid to write 3 rhymes?

but in all honesty, a $1000 prize for an INTERNET CONTEST is actually the most i've ever seen being offered. didn't dj swamp [BECK's DJ] just have a logo contest 2 months ago which only paid $200? we live in a day & age where people download photoshop for free. anyone who wants to be a designer, can be one... talib apparently isn't trying to go to a professional graphic designer, but would rather "turn to his fans". again, i'm no fan of his, but i don't think anyone should be INSULTED by this. if you consider yourself a true designer and work in the field, than you obviously haven't seen the amount of online classified ads by companies that only offer $100 for a logo. and they too, keep all rights and give you no credit anywhere. at least this fucker actually wants to meet the person that made the thing and get him/her into VIP section for a show & probably some blunts/drinks too. point being, it's really nothing to get your panties tangled up in.

Exactly, I don't see how this any different than standard hip-hop (or music biz) bs, like 'ghost-producing', or any intern/bitchwork shit. This is an opportunity to try and get on. Is it a relatively transparent attempt to avoid paying real $$$ for the design? maybe, but its also, as i said before, a pretty good look for fans and hopefully not just a way to avoid paying for a logo. i feel like people would be less salty if there was no money, as opposed to a g. Again, this is an internet contest, and people are complaining the prize is not enough?!?!?!? Those who are bitchin should get to work on a hot logo, pocket that g and the credit, and stop playing indignant on the internets.

BTW, i am not a graphics dude at all, but as a producer trying to get on, i submit tracks to any respectable artist I can, and I dont need to know in advance that I'm going to get x amount, I'm lookin for credits at this point, and I appreciate it when people with name recognition solicit material from the masses, regardless.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    having known and hung out with and performed next to Talib, it's weird to hear yalls theories on why people don't like dude.

To me it's pretty obvious - he's not a great (to some, even good) rapper but he thinks of himself as such. I don't think it's rocket science to figure that such an attitude invites more intense criticism.

That said, I'm not mad at dude. Sometimes his public statements are a bit.... humorous

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of a moderately talented, but ultimately humble rapper. Isn't a deluded sense of self-worth like the 12th element of rap or something?