Summer Songs - Yer Top 5

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2015 in Music Talk
It's like summer around here in S.F. In fact, I think spring pretty much IS summer for anyone who's ever suffered through a San Francisco summer. It's gotten me thinking about favorite summer songs, especially with Faux's post about what 2006's summer anthems might be. I've always had a hard time separating if I love certain songs because they appear in the summer...or because they remind me of summer - the two are obviously closely related but not the same thing. For example, "Inspiration Infromation" is a song that just says "summer" to me but it's not like I grew up listening to it "in season" or anything. Anyways, here's a Top 5 (subject, as always, to change)(not in ranked order)

1. Shuggie Otis: Inspiration Information

2. Pharcyde: Passin' Me By

3. Sly and the Family Stone: Hot Fun In the Summertime

4. Beyonce: Crazy In Love

5. Roy Ayers: (you know which one)

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

I just discovered Candi Staton earlier this year and 'Summer Time With You' Is THE HOTTEST jam.

I've raved about it before..But Im very excited to have it hold some timely meaning..as I couldnt resist playing it in freaking Feb. Im stoked to have a deeper appreciation.

Some other things that come to mind...

Being from So. Cal. I'd have to say that Sublime makes me feel summerry

Bob Marley : Sun is Shining

Reggae in general makes me warm

The Doors : Indian Summer ( only in August ) but for some reason L.A. Woman has the vibe too

'Dancing in the Streets' og and covers alike

Big Poppa, Tupac and Dre all have some tunes that make me feel like BBQ'in, car washin' and blasting the boom box in the driveway witha cold beer...

I wont even bother mentioning the Fresh Prince issh that goes without saying

And last but not least my newest super summer favorite :

SUNSHOWER by Dr. Buzzards Savannah Band

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    kool & the gang - summer madness
    bob marley - bend down low
    buena vista social club (the whole album)
    city of god (ost)
    digable planets - pacifics

I don't really have a top five but these remind me of the summer

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    #1 in a big way:
    Archie Whitewater (esp the MonkOne re-edit)

Also-
    Eddie Kendricks- Intimate Friends
    Tribe- Oh My God
    Freddie Scott- Don't Let Me Fall
    Los Lobos- Life Is Good
    Naughty By Nature- Feel Me FLow
    Temptations- Keep On Trying (Till I Win Your Love)
    Impressions- Don't Cry, Man Oh Man
    Mos Def- Sunshine (Ricci Rucker Remix) anyone heard this?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Common- Chapter 13
    Dramatics - Hot Pants in the Summertime
    Ice Cube- It Was A Good Day (remix)
    Funkadelic- Can you get to that

and of course...
    Roy Ayers. that one song.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    William DeVaughan--Be Thankful...
    Shango--Sunshine Superman
    CSN--Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
    Nas--Memory Lane
    John Coltrane--Summertine

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Miles Davis - Summertime
    That Roy Ayers one...
    Central line - Walking into Sunshine
    Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Summertime

Playhitty - The Summer Is Magic

HAHAHA I KEED I KEED~!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Marcia Griffiths ??? Children at Play
    Monty Alexander - Monticello
    Main Ingredient - Summer Breeze
    Gerald Wilson Orchestra ??? California Soul (slowed to -6)
    Placebo - Balek

you dont happen to have a MP3 of this you can upload do you?? I'd like to hear it.

• montymonty 420 Posts

I just discovered Candi Staton earlier this year and 'Summer Time With You' Is THE HOTTEST jam.

I've raved about it before..But Im very excited to have it hold some timely meaning..as I couldnt resist playing it in freaking Feb. Im stoked to have a deeper appreciation.

the producer, Dave Crawford, who wrote most of the songs on that lp, hated that song, (envious, i think). he had to include it because he wanted Ollie Brown to play drums on the record, and Ollie made him agree to use one of his songs.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    1) earth wind & fire - this world today
    2) ramp - daylight
    3) boredoms - arrow up
    4) r.e.m. - pretty persuasion
    5) gong - tried so hard

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Justice System - Summer in the City
    Heatwave - Beat Your Booty
    Lauryn Hill - Doo Wop
    The Clifford Gilbert Rhythm Combination - I Wish I Was A Motown Star
    Depth Charge - Goal

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    William DeVaughan--Be Thankful...

^^^^
    summertime bliss right thurr.

a few i dig:
    Minnie Ripperton - Inside My Love
    Outkast - Player's Ball - remix (even though it's a xmas song)

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

you dont happen to have a MP3 of this you can upload do you?? I'd like to hear it.

tis good.

http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B65A5A704C0893A4

enjoy.

-rich

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    1) Odyssey - Our Lives are shaped by what we love
    2) Leon Ware - why i came to california
    3) Arthur Verocai - Presente Grego
    4) Art Farmer - Soul Sides
    5) John Cameron - Swamp Fever

also
    F.B.I. - Love, love, love
    Donald Byrd - Think Twice
    Marlena Shaw - Last Tango in paris
    Oliver Sain - On the Hill

ahhhh, i love summer!

the producer, Dave Crawford, who wrote most of the songs on that lp, hated that song, (envious, i think). he had to include it because he wanted Ollie Brown to play drums on the record, and Ollie made him agree to use one of his songs.

Monty : thanks for the bonus info. I cant tell you how much I like this song. I played it like 18 times in three days when I got it and drove my roomies crazy. I've been holding out for the next soul & funk night and 70 degree day. I love her off key harmonys and deep melodies in the music. Its one of those songs that gives me chills.

rkwpark: Thanks man! Listening now....diggin it I just got the Mos. Def 12'' not too long ago, I'll have to give it a good listen and add it to the summer rotation. Void is a huge Ricki Rukker fan so he will very much appreciate this. Thanks again

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Be Thankful" is that shit. I'd take off the Pharcyde and swap this in. Or maybe lose the Shuggie. Great song, regardless and VERY summerific.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Doug E Fresh & The Get Fresh Crew - THE SHOW
    Akineyle- Put It In Your Mouth
    Run Dmc - Together Forever
    Sade - Paradise
    LL Cool J - Boomin' System

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    last summer, j-rocc's syndromes 2 got played all the time - that mix is just beautiful...summer melancholy and loveliness from start to finish. i'll probably play it over and over again this summer.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    last summer, j-rocc's syndromes 2 got played all the time - that mix is just beautiful...summer melancholy and loveliness from start to finish. i'll probably play it over and over again this summer.

DUDERS:

just wait till you hear my new mix. summer joy/melancholy up the wazoo.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Oliver - you diss Shuggie Otis you diss YOURSELF.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    When it's hot and there's nothing else to do but lounging and beeing contemplative, it's just time to brazilianise a bit with some classics...

1. HOWARD ROBERTS. Dirty old bossa nova (known by everyone here I suppose but however, very much liked by me!).

2. CHICO BUARQUE DE HOLLANDA. Pedro pedreiro (on his first LP on RGE)

3. HERBIE MANN. Me faz recorar (on Brazil, Bossa nova and blues, on UA, with Dave Pike on Marimbas).

4. VINICIUS & ODETTE LARA. Seja Feliz (on their sellf titled LP on ELENCO... Hmmmmm !).

5. WALTER WANDERLEY & LUIZ HENRIQUE. Diane in the morning (Popcorn LP on Verve, absolutely under rated and great LP).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Dog, I'm not dissing Shuggie! I was merely suggesting a swap of his song for William DeVaughn's.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    mega dittoes on the shugie, the leon ware, the main ingredient, the roy ayers, the pharcyde.

I would add Hi Five's "Kissing Game," because it reminds me of the first summer after freshman year college when that joint was on power 99 all summer, along with "Summer time" by the Fresh Prince, which was ubiquitous too. A very good summer, painting houses, late night roof top parties, cold cheap beer, cuties in daisy dukes, pick up basketball, grilling.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

yeah, drop the pharcyde.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Monty -

Would that be the same Ollie Brown who later went on to infamy as part of Ollie & Jerry 'Breakin' (There's No Stoppin' Us)'? I know that Jerry Knight used to be part of Raydio...

• montymonty 420 Posts

Monty -

Would that be the same Ollie Brown who later went on to infamy as part of Ollie & Jerry 'Breakin' (There's No Stoppin' Us)'? I know that Jerry Knight used to be part of Raydio...

"By the time of Raydio's third album, in 1980, Knight had exited the group and was replaced by Ollie E. Brown." JerryKnight

all i remember at this time (1976) is Ray Parker Jr. who played guitar on the dates, (with Jay Graydon), was a housemate of Ollie's.

yeah, drop the pharcyde.

Replace Pharcyde with "Wake Up" Sunshine mix, Brand Nubian. Perfect summer song.

And how can we forget Samuel Jonathan Johnson "My Music."

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    off the top:

Baile Funk Mix
    King Tubby Mix
    The Game "Hate it or love it"
    Nite Liters "Serenade for a Jive Turkey"
    Kool and the Gang "Jungle Jazz"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My AM GOLD top 5 Summer Jamz. These were all in constant rotation on various summer road trips my family made during the 70s.

It's Magic- Pilot
    Fly Like an Eagle- Steve Miller
    I Shot the Sheriff- Clapton
    Horse With No Name- America
    Brandy- Looking Glass

Bonus SHot:

If You Want to Sing Out- Cat Stevens