How many folls on here don't collect records? (rr)

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Someone mentioned this a while back, but never followed up with a thread. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with posting on here and not being a collectro, I actually think this site is made alot more interesting by the nrr content and the wide variety of nerds who post. So, is anyone on here willing to own up to not having a record collection, or is it some kind of secret shame thing? I'm guessing that this will get no replies, but I've BEEN wanting to ask...Big Chan?AlienNDN?Grafwritah?Anyone...anyone...

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    sorry to bust in on this question, but where is Graf?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I can be a big enough man to state that I'm no longer a master collectro. It's no big thing... When I think, I've probably bought and sold more records in my lifetime, than about 90% of the people on the board. My last collection I sold off when I moved down to Arizona and thought I would give up on records for good. Though, when I moved back I ended up opening a store...

Anyone that really knows me, knows the deal.

And I, like almost anyone else on this board. Could probably buy a a really dope starter collection tomorrow with a phone call.

But let me just end with this:

I get no burrito dawg!

PS- That is not to say, I don't have any records at all... Just a few that I couldn't live life without!!!

PSS- To whom it may concern. I hope you enjoy the gift from Sat. night PUNK!!!

• PS- That is not to say, I don't have any records at all... Just a few that I couldn't live life without!!!

I'm striving to stay as close to this ideal as possible. With the exception of hip-hop records that are kept for the sake of sentiment and completist tendencies, if I don't listen to something I get rid of it.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i havent been collecting nearly as much this year.

a. i haven't had a lot of extra money lately as it is all invested in my business.

b. serato is killing it and i spend a lot of my time finding new music on the internet to play out.

that said, i havee been fiending to get out to some shops and find some new shit on wax. I love the idea of having a "record collection." not because i think it is cool to have a record collection, but i think its cool to have my music in the form of a hard copy. and records are just sweet.

my friend is doing a paper on the idea that music in the form as mp3s doesnt really exist. at least not the way a record does. you can hold a record. you cant hold an mp3. all those files could just up and be gone forever. with records, you can hold that shit in your hand. you can see the needle moving through the groove and know that it actually exists in a tangible object.

kind of interesting line of thought...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    to whom it may concern,
    i've been enjoying it already!

thank you so much dude.

Good!!!

I know you will actually enjoy it!!

PS- H*l*n thinks ur top notch!!

Side note: With the above said. I really come here because the witty banter is quality stuff. And the fuse of it with something that use to be a big part of my life since the age of 5 is really great stuff. I'm really amazed by things posted on the strut. There are so many people here, with so much knowledge or talent that blow my mind. I could really care less if you have a million records or none.

That said, when I hear great music posted, I really feel like starting to collect again.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Side note: With the above said. I really come here because the witty banter is quality stuff. And the fuse of it with something that use to be a big part of my life since the age of 5 is really great stuff. I'm really amazed by things posted on the strut. There are so many people here, with so much knowledge or talent that blow my mind. I could really care less if you have a million records or none.

That said, when I hear great music posted, I really feel like starting to collect again.

^^^5 STARS!!!!!!!

my friend is doing a paper on the idea that music in the form as mp3s doesnt really exist. at least not the way a record does. you can hold a record. you cant hold an mp3. all those files could just up and be gone forever. with records, you can hold that shit in your hand. you can see the needle moving through the groove and know that it actually exists in a tangible object.

I think it's really all relative tho. I mean... I would probably find that having my Ron Nelson 88.1 tapes (Which 100 were stolen from me by a gurl) from the mid 80's to the early 90's more valuable to me than say, owning all the records that were played on that show. It's all what is really valued by that particular person. We all have different needs & wants. While, the tapes are a tangible product and I can hold on to it. It still doesn't mean anything. The problem I think we will start seeing, is people won't respect the music with so called "MP3 collecting". So many are worried about what is hot or good out there, that they are no longer really[/b] listening to the music. It now seems that there are, more people out there telling you whats good, than say people who are trying to find that out themselves.

PS- I like cake

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm at the tail end of selling off my collection. I've got a couple crates left to sell, some 45s and the rest is crap that will probably end up at good will. My goal is to keep less than 100 records (just the ones I really love). I've always been a collector, even when I was a kid. I used to collect any sort of trading card they came out with. Baseball cards, Garbage Pail Kids, even those crappy movie trading cards like Dick Tracy. I collected G.I. Joes, He-Man, comic books (I was big into comics for years), stamps, yes I even collected fucking stamps. I think that guy in the Vinyl documentary was right. Some people only collect because there's a chance that completing a collection might give them added self-worth. It's pointless and I'm done with it.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

One with which I agree with totally, I have no problem with "Digital" DJing but find it hard to accept that people share the same commitment to mp3s that they download as they do to records that they buy with their own cash...Not to mention the nightmare of some sci-fi type of EMP event that wipes out all the hardrives...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    the fuse of it with something that use to be a big part of my life since the age of 5 is really great stuff. I'm really amazed by things posted on the strut. There are so many people here, with so much knowledge or talent that blow my mind. I could really care less if you have a million records or none.

Huge Cosign. I have now 500 posts, upgrading (hell yeah!), plan to collect some more records, get rid of some as well and I'm just happy to be a part of all this here. Glad I found this place. Ironically, the guy who introduced me to the strut just gave me a call and I haven't seen him in years...will invite him again to come here, ha..."things move in cycles", as the abstract said...dunno when I will stop this record thing, don't plan to do so in the near future, ha!!!!

• meshmesh 925 Posts

I think it's really all relative tho. I mean... I would probably find that having my Ron Nelson 88.1 tapes (Which 100 were stolen from me by a gurl) from the mid 80's to the early 90's more valuable to me than say, owning all the records that were played on that show. It's all what is really valued by that particular person. We all have different needs & wants. While, the tapes are a tangible product and I can hold on to it. It still doesn't mean anything. The problem I think we will start seeing, is people won't respect the music with so called "MP3 collecting". So many are worried about what is hot or good out there, that they are no longer really[/b] listening to the music. It now seems that there are, more people out there telling you whats good, than say people who are trying to find that out themselves.

PS- I like cake

good post. i like cake too.

and i feel you on having the tapes, not the actual record. something special about those shows, im sure.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    I'm Not a record collector I'm a Record Bomber!

It's not about the best or cleanest record it's all about Breaks and MORE Samples!

Even if you where filming the movie, it would of went Kick, Snare & Hi Hat!

I don't call it Record Collecting I call that Fairy Flying!

Instead of stopping the record I just let it spin, like that....

• i havent been collecting nearly as much this year.

a. i haven't had a lot of extra money lately as it is all invested in my business.

b. serato is killing it and i spend a lot of my time finding new music on the internet to play out.

that said, i havee been fiending to get out to some shops and find some new shit on wax. I love the idea of having a "record collection." not because i think it is cool to have a record collection, but i think its cool to have my music in the form of a hard copy. and records are just sweet.

What's interesting is that I think you used to have to be a record collector to be knee deep in music and aquire the knowledge. Now you can be ripping, burning, torrenting, streaming, podcasting and DLing a grip of albums everyday, and still have no record collection. I feel like this is the direction I'm going in, because I have never been a real collectro, and in school, and without a car, it's so much easier pile up the mp3s. That said, I am planning to triple my digging efforts this summer.

Also, I think CDs are about as intangable as mp3s. Those shits just fall apart sometimes, even without rough treatment. I heard that the library of congress tries to get everything on vinyl because records last longer and sound better than CDs, tapes, ect, and because digital music file formats are bound to change soon.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

What's interesting is that I think you used to have to be a record collector to be knee deep in music and aquire the knowledge. Now you can be ripping, burning, torrenting, streaming, podcasting and DLing a grip of albums everyday, and still have no record collection.

true. i think this is why some djs get ass-hurt about the serato revolution. but personally, i still think you are gonna have to put in time to be a good dj. you could have the illest mp3 collection ever and still be a REALLY shitty dj. you will just be able to be a shitty dj quicker nowadays.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    edit.

I don't know how to find new music via mp3s. you have to know what you are downloading to download it right? Out in "the field" you can be like "this looks interesting" and then ta-da, you have found new music to listen to. You can't really do that with mp3s. I mean, I guess you could browse around the web and shit, but then the music already has to exist as an mp3. 90 percent of my records do not exist as mp3s, so if i didn't have the records i would never have heard the music.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    edit.

I don't know how to find new music via mp3s. you have to know what you are downloading to download it right? Out in "the field" you can be like "this looks interesting" and then ta-da, you have found new music to listen to. You can't really do that with mp3s. I mean, I guess you could browse around the web and shit, but then the music already has to exist as an mp3. 90 percent of my records do not exist as mp3s, so if i didn't have the records i would never have heard the music.

i feel that. totally. thats what i like best about buyin records. [littledude]but i bet a lot of the stuff i buy is already an mp3...[/littledude]

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you'd be surprised to realize 90% of the records you have show up on slsk already.

get familiar

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    you'd be surprised to realize 90% of the records you have show up on slsk already.

get familiar

Remember what kind of records Dizzy collects...

Slsk raer?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i'l never deny it if u ask me, i dont collect records. i do know why people love them and appreciate them and that's cool. my PRIMARY love is music, that's all i give a phuck about. i just want to hear good music. i've admitted that prior threads and got slack for it, and i can understand why, but i was asked why i even bother coming to the site...well its because of the discussion of the music that i really like/am liking and want to find out about. i remeber Stacks made a thread awhile ago that was really introspective,asking is this site about love for vinyl or love for music? i myself side with music, i dont care about the medium. if the music i loved was only available on 8 track, id get an 8 track player, if it was only available as a nintendo game cartridge, then i'd buy a nintendo, if its available as an mp3 player, then i'l rock it in my iriver.

of course i really respect the record game and all that, because its all of those people that have "dug the crates" and put in time and effort, that have exposed me for some beautiful knowledge. now did i earn that knowledge by me doing a mere click of a button and downloading a track or buying a cd/cd compilation? probably not, but i feel the true reason people discuss music is so others can hear it, and by me repeatingly listening to it for the rest of my life, i am repeatedly thanking you. so thanks.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

i have a question about your dildo.

the "records" look like long players, butt do they have a nice wide groove 12" version of the "records"?

i like my shit loud.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

i have a question about your dildo.

the "records" look like long players, butt do they have a nice wide groove 12" version of the "records"?

i like my shit loud.

you dont look at it like that with the dildo. you can actually change the volume of each track within the software. so instead of having low level album cuts that you would have to crank up in the mixer, thereby producing feedback if youre on a stage with subs underneath, you would actually adjust the level within the software, so every time you open that cut, it comes in the same level you left it at the last time.

wow thats a long sentence.

anyways, its pretty handy. i never played LPs out because they werent loud enough. now i can play all the LP cuts i want, and loud as fuck.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

get familiar

Slsk raer?

He's correct. trust me... the shit i got is not on slsk... nor should it be, really.

• slotbeggazzslotbeggazz 288 Posts

One with which I agree with totally, I have no problem with "Digital" DJing but find it hard to accept that people share the same commitment to mp3s that they download as they do to records that they buy with their own cash...Not to mention the nightmare of some sci-fi type of EMP event that wipes out all the hardrives...

if ure a piss poor f'er like i am (or were the last 2 years now im back in a halfway decent job luckily) and youre only buyin records of fleamarkets etc. youre happy to get your raer/expensive records on mp3 at times...but i always prefer to get a real copy of it if its payable...

get familiar

hehe most definetly

get familiar

Slsk raer?

He's correct. trust me... the shit i got is not on slsk... nor should it be, really.

all depends on what ure lookin for...

What's interesting is that I think you used to have to be a record collector to be knee deep in music and aquire the knowledge. Now you can be ripping, burning, torrenting, streaming, podcasting and DLing a grip of albums everyday, and still have no record collection.

true. i think this is why some djs get ass-hurt about the serato revolution. but personally, i still think you are gonna have to put in time to be a good dj. you could have the illest mp3 collection ever and still be a REALLY shitty dj. you will just be able to be a shitty dj quicker nowadays.

very true ...and mp3 djing is the gayest shit ever!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fuck a motherfucking record. Get money.

Peace from somewhere outside of Minneapolis, 6 magraritas deep and still master of my freestyle bowling league,

the Talented Tenth himself,

C motherfucking MoRockWell.

2006 bitches and I forgot more about records than you herbivores ever even knew.

ONEHUNNED.

Oh yeah, you thought I forgot?!?!?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Fuck a motherfucking record. Get money.

Peace from somewhere outside of Minneapolis, 6 magraritas deep and still master of my freestyle bowling league,

the Talented Tenth himself,

C motherfucking MoRockWell.

2006 bitches and I forgot more about records than you herbivores ever even knew.

ONEHUNNED.

Oh yeah, you thought I forgot?!?!?

you're typing is too neat, you need more drinks!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Get on my motherfucking level.