WEEKEND FINDS...

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    YOU DON'T SPEAK DIPSET? COME ON NOW. "not on the level of that other level" was a direct reference to that dipset in london video, no?

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

dude
    you are either super being funny or you slept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ65lhGIfls&search=dipset%20london

It's late and I can't tell. good night.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    all were found at fleas and thrifts for 25 cents to a buck each.

orig. thelonious monk blue note's in really nice shape, art blakey's "drum suite". also a really nice peruvian/ andes mountain guitarist lp from a guy named gaspar andia fajardo.

still sealed original copy of a love record

these are perhaps my fave finds of the weekend.
    lots of really great latin records. that manteca is extremely funky and also goes for lots of dough. the carlos ramos & his orquesta lp is a soundtrack to a movie called "tecato" which is noted on the back of the lp jacket , most songs being pretty good salsa but some songs are straight up psych with a little latin funk. i also finally found a non-trashed copy of that colon lp and that barretto "head sounds" is really good.

this is a pretty decent/fun nyc power pop band from 1980 and this 7" is autographed by all the band members. i know the mullet talk is out, but i couldn't help but notice that these guys had them. the only other mullet i have seen on an album that is that early (and this is even earlier) is bruce foxton on the jam's "snap" compilation lp.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    found a Nathan Davis 'IF'- FINALLY![/b] this was my #1 want, feels great to cross it off the list. cheap copy too.
    i'd say my collection is finally starting to shape up in this department :

other finds:
    Herbie Mann- Just Wailin (Status) sealed
    -Live at the Whiskey (Atl)
    Sonny Rollins- What's New (rca)
    Mary Lou Williams- Keyboard History (jazztone)
    Eddie Harris- Plug me in (atl)
    William Devaughn- Be Thankful... (Roxbury)
    Calvin Jackson Quartet (Columbia)
    Booker T + the MGs- Hip Hug her (stax)
    Jacob Miller- Greatest Hits (RAS)
    Rev. CL Franklin- Lord's Prayer (Jewel)
    Caprells- Dotty's Potty/What you need baby 45 (Bano)

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Is the 12" on the top left Blair - Nightlife?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the 12" on the top left is two man sound "que tal america" on the miracle label. it's really good. i had higher hopes for the flip side "brazil o brazil", but "que tal" definitely makes it worth keeping or searching out.

Is the 12" on the top left Blair - Nightlife?

• Options
    Different colored label...and comes with a pic cover.

K.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    the 12" on the top left is two man sound "que tal america" on the miracle label. it's really good. i had higher hopes for the flip side "brazil o brazil", but "que tal" definitely makes it worth keeping or searching out.

i've been looking for "que tal america" on 12" for years! nice one...if you wanna trade let me know. that rational youth is a nice one too...a solid $30 or more on ebay.

Different colored label...and comes with a pic cover.

K.

What about the UK version? I'm pretty sure that one is on the red miracle label with a plain 12" sleeve. It's also more common than the pic sleeve US pressing, and from what I hear, sounds better too.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Joe Pass "Better Days"

CHEAP!!!!!

• Options
    Never knew of the UK release. Was it released later?

Patrick, I see that Que tel all the time up here, I'll hold one for your next trade.

K,.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    1.THE PARANAS 2.MARK RADICE 3.OHIO PLAYERS 4.BILLY PRESTON 5.THE CRUSADERS 6.EGO 7.QUINCY JONES 8.ROBERT PALMER 9.TOWER OF POWER 10.SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE

Not sure, I had one on my watch list ended items for a while, but it's been deleted. I would say it's a safe bet that it was released after the US version though.

Patrick, I see that Que tel all the time up here, I'll hold one for your next trade.

K,.

thanks bro...it's definitely more common in canada, the uk, maybe south america. there's another 12" by them that is common here...called "capital tropical" or something...it's bad.

Not sure, I had one on my watch list ended items for a while, but it's been deleted. I would say it's a safe bet that it was released after the US version though.

yeah, the UK version does sort of look like the Que Tal America...the UK "Nightlife" seems to pop up on ebay fairly often (once a month or so). the OG is much more scarce. and the LP is rare too and from what i've heard it has plenty of niceness on there.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    YOU DON'T SPEAK DIPSET? COME ON NOW. "not on the level of that other level" was a direct reference to that dipset in london video, no?

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

dude
    you are either super being funny or you slept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ65lhGIfls&search=dipset%20london

It's late and I can't tell. good night.

sorry to interupt the finds, but is this interviewer the same dude that started going apeshit on necro over the phone?

• Options

yeah, the UK version does sort of look like the Que Tal America...the UK "Nightlife" seems to pop up on ebay fairly often (once a month or so). the OG is much more scarce. and the LP is rare too and from what i've heard it has plenty of niceness on there.

One of my fav's. Great listen throughout.

k.

what a dope cover! what is he doing...standing on top of the empire state building? living it up no doubt.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    that sleeve is hilarious

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    heres mine from 4 different stores this week (last week, respectively)

Breakout - Karate on muza

Impuls on Panton from Czech Republic

Fred Wesley Horny Horns US OG from 77 for cheap

The New Birth - Blind Baby

The New Birth - Comin from all ends

Weldon Irvine - Sinbad

King Bee - Back by Dope Demand

Mouth and McNeal - How do you do US Pressing

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    king bee!! lol

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    king bee!! lol

Hey, he was huge over here and recorded with kool keith dunno what cats from philly think about him though

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

sorry to interupt the finds, but is this interviewer the same dude that started going apeshit on necro over the phone?

Nah, it's Tim Westwood.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

k.

RAER!

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    some finds from the weekend (stores/pcc swap)
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    some great 78's like Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Big Maceo, Memphis Slim, Little Walter, Stomp Gordon, Tiny Bradshaw, etc. I also found some great gospel 45's. It was also great doing the roscoes thing with Guzz, and Dstil. We need to have a west coast strut bbq smokeout as soon as possible.

• fountain16fountain16 93 Posts
    I went to the Bi-monthly record show at the Chzech Hall a couple blocks from my apartment. Their were not nearly as many sellers as in March. That said I got a copy of Badfinger, No Dice for 50 cents along with a Sweet record and a Eddie Harris record for the same.

I found a guy from Cleveland with some decent 45s

Neal Creque - Rafiki (on Cobblestone)
    Ebony Jam - Ride On (I'm pretty sure these guys are white)
    the Feathers - Tryin To Get to you (sunshine of your love meets get ready)
    Cookie Do - Dream Girl
    Lyn Collins - Me And My baby Got A Good thing Going

also the Litter, Emerge Lp
    and a 12" of that Steely Dan Do It Again/ MJ Billie Jean mashup/medley from the 80s.

anybody near St. louis, this is a pretty decent record show, next one is sunday july 9.

also Herbie Mann and Tamiko Jones doing Lee Morgan's Sidewinder with vocals on 45.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Man Oh Man I want that Lou Courtney LP. If you want to trade...

Nice finds as always - I heard that Carlos Ramos not long ago and
    it instantly became a heavy want, some fantastic tracks on there.

• Options

k.

RAER!

Who IS Blair - Blair

K.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    found a Nathan Davis 'IF'- FINALLY![/b] this was my #1 want, feels great to cross it off the list. cheap copy too.
    i'd say my collection is finally starting to shape up in this department :

aahhhhh! me too! i got that nice price sealed og out ain the park 4 blocks from my house! i had never even seen a copy before. stayed sealed for about 18 seconds when i got home.

whats the review on the other nathandavises? anything similar to IF?

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Hydeparkrecords has quality goods, and is related to a well-known strut member (if he's not on here himself)

word, i was VERY pleased and surprised at the selection. Hadn't seen so many staple soul, funk, and even some strata-east records in one shop ever. i guess location probably helps inventory too, as i saw a lot of doubles and triples of things.

HPR was started by my brother, and two of his buddies. My bro recently "got out the biz", but the 2 guys that still run it are doing a fine job. Very solid soul funk jazz disco and rapps always arriving over there. They just got an Asteroids machine in recently too, which is bringing in the kiddies by the droves.

pickups going throu milwaukee and chicago. big ups to lotus land for the better part of the pull!!! i checked out hyde park records, too; while the quality of titles definitely impressed, the quality of the vinyl was, to be honest, often , so just make sure to use the useful listening station before purchase. and give that asteroids a try too...

LP's
    jorge ben - ben (philips)
    syl johnson - diamond in the rough (hi)

45's
    bataan - the bottle/when you're down (funky mambo) (salsoul)
    b.w. souls - marvin's groove (round)
    eddie bo - hook and sling/pt. 2 (scram)
    cymande - the message/zion i (janus)
    the dapps - there was a time/rabbit got the gun (king)
    freedom of choice - doctor tom/fat man (wand)
    esquires - let me build you a new world/stay (new world)
    darrow fletcher - now is the time for love/instr (genna)
    little sister - somebody's watching you/stanga (stoneflower)
    magic tones - together we shall overcome/it's better to love (mah's)
    pamoja - ooh baby / jewel - paradise (lotus land, re)
    jean plum - here i go again/mono (hi)
    foster sylvers - hey, little girl/i'll get you in the end (mgm)
    young hearts - i've got love for my baby/takin' care of business (minit)
    meters - chicken strut/ hey! last minute (josie)
    bobby williams - funky super fly/ pt. 2 (mtvh)
    sugar billy - super duper love/pt. 2 (fast track)

• slotbeggazzslotbeggazz 288 Posts
    my digi cam fucks up so

LPs i got off fleamarkets over the weekend:

--------
    The Manhattans - st

Asha Putli - The Devil is loose

"Orgue Hammond" par Karl Federer (frenchy 1976ish nice cover)

Ruben Rodriguez & his Guadalajara Kings - Viva Mexico (german label, 70ish record, label location is near to my small ass hometown in the middle of nothing lol, nice find for me personally)

Golden Gate Quartett Vol.2 - Live in a Church (german label, gospel)

Juliette Greco - st (impact records france)

Gap Band - III (the jackets on the back cover are fuckin priceless lol)

Nini Rosso - Il Silenzio (german label)