Plaese to recommend a Samurai movie

LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
or other solid Japanese action flicks. There was a thread about this a long time ago, and I didn't pay much attention.This is a genre I'm kinda feelin' right now. Much appreciated.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Lone Wolf & Cub Series is essential

As is the Zatoichi series

For crazy misogynistic over the top shit with funky soundtracks, can't miss the three Hanzo flicks:

And of course Kurosawa can't be fucked with

(inspiration for a Fistful of Dollars)

(inspiration for Magnificent 7)

• Kurasawa did the ultimate in these films

Check out Seven Samurai, yojimbo, Sanjuro, Hidden Fortress, and Rashoman

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    So do you want a Samurai Flick Or a Japanesse Movie??? Samurai can't go wrong with the classic 7 samarui or Baby Cart action... Azumi was nice and Battle Royal 1... But you can't go wrong with NINJA SCROLL..... but what do I know!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Paul Nice is one of the masters of this genre - especially Kung-fu flicks.

I'm a big fan of Akira Kurosawa...peep the Hidden Fortress. It was definitely influential to George Lucas.

• Gotta love the work Criterion does. I do have Seven Samurai and Sword Of Doom, both great.

The Shogun Assassin series will probably be next.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I'm sure the hommie Big Chan has some knowledge in this area

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Paul Nice is one of the masters of this genre - especially Kung-fu flicks.

"I've Been Known" Ladypink

• In addition to the classics listed above I really enjoyed this box -

The four films are also available individually.

For some straight up Japanese exploito/gangsta shit I also recommend these -

MCF

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I'm on the same kick right now. Incredible stuff.

"Lady Snowblood" will be an eye opener to anyone who saw "Kill Bill." I preferred the other Meiko Kaji movie I saw this week, "Scorpion Female Prisoner" cause it's crazier and operates in the real world and the insane cartoon world (like Kill Bill) whereas Snowblood is basically one big revenge cartoon, but they're both essential. Scorpion isn't a samurai story, by the way, but whatever.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    next rainy day weekend i'm gonna try to watch all 6 lone wolf and cubs in a row and see what happens. best shit ever. the kid who plays daigoro has got to be the best actor i've ever seen. not a comic book guy myself but read some of them after i was told that they absolutely destroy the movies. they're slowly putting out the sort of prequel to lone wolf and cub called samurai executioner.

love lady snowblood. thanks for the scorpion prisoner tip.

not samurai but for an amazing japanese ghost movie on a similar vibe check kwaidan

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Might as well check out LS2 - Love Song of Vengeance also.

There's a ton of flicks to watch. A lot have been named already.

In the last few years there have been some brilliant films released. Tho, if your looking for violence, you might want to skip them. But, for really amazing films check out: *NOTE: Very little violence*

The Twilight Samurai

The Hidden Blade

When the Last Sword is Drawn

• "San Biki no Samurai", "Three Outlaw Samurai" in English...

Dope.

And definitely all the other shit recommended here.

Oh, and "Yaji and Kita's Midnight Pilgrimage"

If you watch it, it'll possibly be the craziest movie you'll see this year. Not a samurai movie perse, but theres a bit of sword play, and it takes place in a Edo Period/Modern times parallel universe. Two gay dudes take off on a motorcycle from their village to go on a pilgramage to a famous shrine, in hopes of helping one of them kick their pill-popping habit. It's got hip-hop, schoolgirls, drugs, OL's, crossdressing, magic, stand-up comedy, genitalia that stretches up to 5 feet, the Bearded Courtesean, psychdelic mushroom trips, etc.

It's a little

Granted, knowing a bit of japanese culture and comedy really helps one appreciate this joint.

Peace...
    FNM

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Oh yes!

In addition to that, this has long been one of my favourites. Just your run of the mill existential gangster musical........

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I;d recommend the original ('67?) One Armed Swordsman. End fight's incredible. I haven't seen the new one yet.

• Azumi was surprisingly good.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Azumi was surprisingly good.

I thought it was great also. A few thought it was corny.

Which was true of Azumi 2. I don't know how they fucked that up...

• Cosign on all Kuroswawa samurai flicks (on a whole other level), as well as classic Zatoichi and LOne Wolf & Cub....

• I;d recommend the original ('67?) One Armed Swordsman. End fight's incredible. I haven't seen the new one yet.
    One Armed Swordsman trilogy is awesome, especially the Return of... But i wouldn't call them samurai movies because they are by Shaw Bros

Can anybody recommend any Hanzo Hattori movies?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    If you want solid japanese action/yakuza flicks, you could explore the Kinji Fukasaku filmography.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    If you want solid japanese action/yakuza flicks, you could explore the Kinji Fukasaku filmography.

HELL YES! Fukasaku's older Yakuza films are INCREDIBLE! The "Yakuza Papers" series is like the Godfather series of Japanese cinema. Get the series in this box set:

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

HELL YES! Fukasaku's older Yakuza films are INCREDIBLE! The "Yakuza Papers" series is like the Godfather series of Japanese cinema. Get the series in this box set:

'Okami to buta to ningen' from '64 is Fukasaku's earliest exploration of the Yakuza genre (although it enjoys more of a neorealist aesthetic than the films of the '70s) - his fame outside of that particular theme derives from the camp 'Black Lizard' and, of course, 'Battle Royale'... The Yakuza material is unflinching and relatively unsentimental in a cloying/trite manner...