Motown 1969-1975 whats good?

13»

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Sorry, I'm beyond the timeline again - '76.
    "Come Into My Life" is an old favorite of mine.
    Funky b-boy breakdowns and a synth/voice meshing effect.

I really dig that record a lot.

This one isn't the most consistent, but I do like it:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    That whole Tamla Motown imprint seems to be for almost everywhere except the US, I think most of Europe had it too.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Nolen & Crossley's "Salsa Boogie"

Super modern soul from Motown circa 82 (see avatar for cover image of parent album).

SG

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've seen that white Tamla-Motown label on a Canadian pressing of the live Miracles 2xlp mentioned earlier in this thread... and it was distributed by Ampex?!

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

•   

WHOAH what is that and how come I've never seen it before?

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

WHOAH what is that and how come I've never seen it before?

on VIP from 1970 and produced by henry cosby, almost all covers, but sweet soul sound, for sure. record feels almost anachronistic - in a good way - compared to some of theses others, save one "funky" track, but with some very nice and enjoyable vocal group action. two singles were released: "it's a lonesome road" and "if i could give you the world," but my top tracks are "what does it take (to win your love)" and their version of "you've made me so very happy." i'm not sure how scarce it is these days. i found my copy in detroit on the cheap, and they were playing it at the record graveyard last time i was there, but i've never really seen or heard it anywhere else apart from that.

i don't have a soundclip to post, unfortunately - anyone else got one to share?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    one of the best to kick off the timeline - from 69:

YES!!! ohhh shit, this album...

I like the way they fixed it so that side one was the psychedelic side and side two was the neo-doo-wop side, in case some of their old fans weren't ready for their newer psych-funk phase yet!

lol - yes, very thoughtful. makes it easier at the party, too - one side is the fast dance side and the other is for the slow-dance/make-out portion of the evening.

my copy's previous owner was kind enough to make little notes on the cover beside each member - things like "cuuuute!" and "gorgeous"

• jandarajandara 44 Posts
    GC Cameron
    Sisters Love
    Michael Jackson
    Jermaine Jackson
    Leon Ware
    Motown Sounds
    Motown Magic Music Machine
    Jr Walker
    David Ruffin
    Edwin Starr

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Are we counting records on the Motown subsidiaries? If so, I'll add on:

-"Ruff & Ready"-Jimmy Ruffin (Soul).
    -cosign on the Syreeta, and the Dynamic Superiors (and the other well-known bangers as well).
    -"Smokey"-Smokey Robinson (Tamla).
    -"Fully Exposed" and "The Mack"-Willie Hutch (Motown).
    -"Jesus Christ Greatest Hits"-The God Squad ft/ Leonard Caston (Rare Earth) [I named this one based on its novelty; some funky moments here and there]

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hey,

Are we counting records on the Motown subsidiaries?

So far, we have been (like that Hearts of Stone thing above, on VIP).

You should hear the followup, Pure Smokey, which was a rare experimental move. The songs deal with fairly outrageous subject matter - I don't know if he was trying to play catch-up with Marvin and Stevie or what, but it's a bit of a wake-up call hearing him sing about male virginity, horny widows, child custody, pregnant teenagers. And they have the same honey-sweet melodies as his regular love songs, which makes it even MORE shocking!

I also like Smokey's Family Robinson, where he eases away from the romance and gets on a funk tangent, but that one's from '76 and slightly out of the timeline.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I really like the Smokey Robinson LP "Pure Smokey". Very solid record, great production and very very soulful.

Also the Four Tops "Nature planned it" is worth checking out because "I can't quit your love" is so good!!

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Also how can anyone forget Gordon Staples and the Motown Strings from 1970??
    Don't have the album but I do have the track "Strung Out" on a 7".....one killer piece of blaxploitation funk.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'd like to hear that album by the Black Fighting Men, Guess Who's Coming Home on Motown's Black Forum subsidiary. No music, just a spoken-word album featuring black soldiers in Vietnam speaking freely on-record about various subjects.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Are we counting records on the Motown subsidiaries?

So far, we have been (like that Hearts of Stone thing above, on VIP).

You should hear the followup, Pure Smokey, which was a rare experimental move. The songs deal with fairly outrageous subject matter - I don't know if he was trying to play catch-up with Marvin and Stevie or what, but it's a bit of a wake-up call hearing him sing about male virginity, horny widows, child custody, pregnant teenagers. And they have the same honey-sweet melodies as his regular love songs, which makes it even MORE shocking!

I also like Smokey's Family Robinson, where he eases away from the romance and gets on a funk tangent, but that one's from '76 and slightly out of the timeline.

Yep,

I have "Pure Smokey" has well. Check out the interlude on "The Presence's Always Pleasant with the Essence" (from my Soundclick site), which contains a sample from "Love Someday Soon" from that LP. I was up on the soul back then, ya know? (nothin' new related).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak