McNair

you batches.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Barbara
    McNair

you batches.

"that era predates the window being discussed here."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The Real Barbara McNair LP was released in 1969. I was looking for Ray Stevens and couldn't find him.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    the marvelettes-the return of...

a*** you NEED this album........the song "after all" is female soul perfection

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    the marvelettes-the return of...

That's wierd that u say that, im pretty sure hes the one who put me up on that exact track and album.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    One of the lesser known LPs from this era:

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Nature Resources - 1970

One really good funky Soul number.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1838

• the marvelettes-the return of...

That's wierd that u say that, im pretty sure hes the one who put me up on that exact track and album.

haha, the circle of life

yeah I got that one, and I have a lot of the other ones mentioned in this thread. The thing about later era motown is there is so much of it and I never really bothered to check for it , now I'm wondering what under the radar gems I might of missed out on

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    the marvelettes - IN FULL BLOOM from '69, a very well-balanced lp

one track i couldn't do without from just one year before, '68, is "he's my sunny boy" by diana ross and the supremes off of LOVE CHILD

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Dancing Machine" originally appeared on Get It Together, which was from 1973. The following year, the song was such a hit that it was the title track of their next album. Motown always used to release the same song on more than one album if it was a hit (look at Jr. Walker), so it may have been the same version. (I said "MAY have...," in case I'm wrong!)

The GET IT TOGETHER version isnt isolated like the DANCIN MACHINE version.J5 were doin' the Norman Whitfield/Psychedelic Soul thang, so many/most of the tracks on GET IT TOGETHER overlapped/Flowed into one another. For about the first 10-13 seconds of Dancin'Machine you hear the spacey sound effects of the previous song YOU NEED LOVE LIKE I DO(DONT YOU). I recommend this version of DM...It's the original intention.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    one of the best to kick off the timeline - from 69:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

YES!!! ohhh shit, this album...

Mahogany SDTRK.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    the post-Diana Ross Supremes in this era is pretty great..."Floy Joy" "Right On" "New Ways But Love Stays" and "High Energy"...all recommended.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Surprised no one mentioned this yet. Great and an ez to find lp. "Ball of Confusion" is

YES!!! ohhh shit, this album...

I like the way they fixed it so that side one was the psychedelic side and side two was the neo-doo-wop side, in case some of their old fans weren't ready for their newer psych-funk phase yet!

"Dancing Machine" originally appeared on Get It Together, which was from 1973. The following year, the song was such a hit that it was the title track of their next album. Motown always used to release the same song on more than one album if it was a hit (look at Jr. Walker), so it may have been the same version. (I said "MAY have...," in case I'm wrong!)

The GET IT TOGETHER version isnt isolated like the DANCIN MACHINE version.J5 were doin' the Norman Whitfield/Psychedelic Soul thang, so many/most of the tracks on GET IT TOGETHER overlapped/Flowed into one another. For about the first 10-13 seconds of Dancin'Machine you hear the spacey sound effects of the previous song YOU NEED LOVE LIKE I DO(DONT YOU).

I THOUGHT so!

When they used to play that song on Soul Train, it started off with the effects...when I bought the 45 as a kid, it started cold with the Jacksons singing "dancin', dancin', dan-cin'!". I was wondering where the effects went! I figured it had to be an "album version" kind of deal.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Surprised no one mentioned this yet. Great and an ez to find lp. "Ball of Confusion" is

Not easy to find in my neck of the woods, or I'd have a copy by now...

I do see his 25 MILES pretty regularly though, and that one's fairly essential

The GET IT TOGETHER version isnt isolated like the DANCIN MACHINE version.J5 were doin' the Norman Whitfield/Psychedelic Soul thang, so many/most of the tracks on GET IT TOGETHER overlapped/Flowed into one another. For about the first 10-13 seconds of Dancin'Machine you hear the spacey sound effects of the previous song YOU NEED LOVE LIKE I DO(DONT YOU).

I THOUGHT so!

When they used to play that song on Soul Train, it started off with the effects...when I bought the 45 as a kid, it started cold with the Jacksons singing "dancin', dancin', dan-cin'!". I was wondering where the effects went! I figured it had to be an "album version" kind of deal.

Yeah, the original has Mike singin' " Ah, baby, Do it baby..." @ the opening of the track.
    Also the Second version seems mixed down differently. It seems like a brighter mix. I'm gonna check tonight.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I THOUGHT so!

Yeah, the original has Mike singin' " Ah, baby, Do it baby..." @ the opening of the track.
    Also the Second version seems mixed down differently. It seems like a brighter mix. I'm gonna check tonight.

Thanks y'all

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    the post-Diana Ross Supremes in this era is pretty great..."Floy Joy" "Right On" "New Ways But Love Stays" and "High Energy"...all recommended.

On the subject of post-Diana Supremes, I've got to give it up for:

Sorry, I'm beyond the timeline again - '76.
    "Come Into My Life" is an old favorite of mine.
    Funky b-boy breakdowns and a synth/voice meshing effect.

Back to 69-75, gotta give it up a little for some of the later albums by The Four Tops,
    before they moved to ABC/Dunhill:

'69, great version of "California Dreamin'.

'72, "Hey Man/We Got To Get You A Woman" medley is a nice slice of 'hip' soul ("HEY LEROY!")

• i need that album in my life....i've been obsessivly listening to the deluxe edition of "i want you" yet i've never even heard that leon ware album

Been wanting to hear their Rare Earth album for a while (although a few people have told me that it's not exactly a lost classic).

i need that album in my life....i've been obsessivly listening to the deluxe edition of "i want you" yet i've never even heard that leon ware album

If I was at home I'd post the 'your balls would sweat like nothing else' graemlin... finally got this recently and it is damn good. doesn't seem to go for much money but I just don't see it around.

Been wanting to hear their Rare Earth album for a while (although a few people have told me that it's not exactly a lost classic).

I'm not sure anything on the label could be deemed 'classic', but its probably the best non-Rare Earth title that I've heard... oof I just remembered the Pretty Things are on there too, lets just say its a good one...

Been wanting to hear (the Messengers') Rare Earth album for a while (although a few people have told me that it's not exactly a lost classic).

I'm not sure anything on the label could be deemed 'classic', but its probably the best non-Rare Earth title that I've heard... oof I just remembered the Pretty Things are on there too, lets just say its a good one...

I'm a fan of their earlier garage recordings (as "Michael & the Messengers" on USA) and I'd like to hear how they survived the seventies. (Doing "Louie Louie" on their one and only album is a good start!)

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

That's recently been bootlegged on a comp of somewhat lesser-known/slept-on Motown joints. Some of the acts mentioned in this thread are on it - Gordon Staples, Barbara McNair...there's a nice OC Smith tune on there, as well as Nolen & Crossley's "Salsa Boogie", which makes me think the boot originates from the UK.

I always thought Tamla Motown was strictly a UK imprint. All the OG US stuff I have is on Motown, Tamla, Soul or Gordy, but, up until around '73/'74, all the UK releases were on the silver-on-black Tamla Motown label with that logo - never saw it on anything non-UK.

• Options

That's recently been bootlegged on a comp of somewhat lesser-known/slept-on Motown joints. Some of the acts mentioned in this thread are on it - Gordon Staples, Barbara McNair...there's a nice OC Smith tune on there, as well as Nolen & Crossley's "Salsa Boogie", which makes me think the boot originates from the UK.

I always thought Tamla Motown was strictly a UK imprint. All the OG US stuff I have is on Motown, Tamla, Soul or Gordy, but, up until around '73/'74, all the UK releases were on the silver-on-black Tamla Motown label with that logo - never saw it on anything non-UK.

Commonwealth?

K in Canada.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Commonwealth?

K in Canada.

Could be - that never crossed my mind, to be honest.