Frontline - The Tank Man

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Perhaps the most powerful image of the 20th century? No picture in the modern era better symbolizes the suffrage and struggle that exists in our world to this day. What became of him?Frontline's piece on the lasting impact of one man's actions, per usual, is exceptional. From the events of that fateful day, to the booming financial hotbed that is China today, the producers have done a masterful job of linking "tank man" as the lynchpin of China's modern evolution.The transformation of China has proven to be a corporate relations' dream. Money has managed to sweep political reforms under the carpet, civil liberties are gladly pawned for Rolexes. The PRC's authoratative grip has adapted astonishingly, with the lucrative assistance of Yahoo, Google and so forth... Our everyday conveniences are inextricably tied to China in so many ways. Watching this gives me insight into the hand I play on the social order of China. Being Chinese myself, it resonates that much more. If you can pry yourself from the gripping drama of the latest marginalized regional rap thread, I promise[/b] you this'll be worth your while, it is truly absorbing.please watch.

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    wow. youre on like a proletariat kick this morning ase man. dude, that chinese cat that stood there is like a superhero of mines. i even credit him on my "myspace page" as my heroes or whatever. anyways, i saw a doc on the tank dude a while back. wasnt sure if it was frontline or not. but the doc eluded to the fact that the he was killed or something? im not sure. anyways, yes, chinese student man, you rule.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    When is this airing on TV? I can't watch at work.

• When is this airing on TV? I can't watch at work.

I thought this was on a few weeks ago...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    When is this airing on TV? I can't watch at work.

I thought this was on a few weeks ago...

Ballz, This is what happens when you stop watching TV.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    wow. youre on like a proletariat kick this morning ase man. dude, that chinese cat that stood there is like a superhero of mines. i even credit him on my "myspace page" as my heroes or whatever. anyways, i saw a doc on the tank dude a while back. wasnt sure if it was frontline or not. but the doc eluded to the fact that the he was killed or something? im not sure. anyways, yes, chinese student man, you rule.

there was a rumour that his name is Wang Weilan and was killed shortly after, however no source has been able to verify this. Watch this though they cover that partially.

larry - The stream quality on PBS' servers are pretty decent, but if you're interested, there is a torrent up that you can dl.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I thought this post was gonna be about a new hyphy song

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I thought this post was gonna be about a new hyphy song

took the words right out my mouth, hahaha!

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

The transformation of China has proven to be a corporate relations' dream. Money has managed to sweep political reforms under the carpet, civil liberties are gladly pawned for Rolexes. The PRC's authoratative grip has adapted astonishingly, with the lucrative assistance of Yahoo, Google and so forth...

Our everyday conveniences are inextricably tied to China in so many ways. Watching this gives me insight into the hand I play on the social order of China. Being Chinese myself, it resonates that much more.
    watch.

Deng Xiaoping decided @ the outset of the '80s that the country would need to embrace a market economy if it would re-assume its role as the Middle Kingdom; in its mad rush to join the developed world, traditional roles and conventions have been displaced - the week long documentation chronicled by the Guardian over a year ago discussed this on a social scale... The momentum of the economy @ this juncture is contingent on the army of migrant workers, mostly from rural origins, poor, and really not in any way, shape or form enjoying the largesse of the fiscal revolution transpiring in the country... Jia Zhangke's 'The World' addresses this last point in a fictional account and the displacement of the soul of the country as it 'modernizes'...

Ask yourself this: what's better? Being able to see bland skyscrapers dotting the skyline or hutongs (which are being torn down in order to make way for the former) rich w/ character - I'm not advocating the previous political doctrine since it encourages a degree of complacency (Marx and Engels failed to account for human folly and behavior in their utopian treatise), but there's something to be said for the (mostly) all-encompassing Iron Rice Bowl policy as espoused by Mao's dictates...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

THEY PROBABLY WON'T BANG IT

(good lookin on the link)

• Thanks for posting this Aser.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts

We all need to be doing this right now.

Cheers for the info. I'm getting the torrent right now.