whats good/new in RAP

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i don't care how lame this post title looks, this is a sincere postmy main gig is playing a blend of hiphop/80's synthpop/electro/funk old/new...everything. the audience is mainly college kids, being in ohio i can get away with being out of touch with the new shit. i might only drop 3 new hiphop songs a night.this other club in town aproached me about taking over their saturday night slot. they arnt just college kids, they also have plenty of under age/high school kids that come thru and it's all mainstreem hiphop. i know the slightly older stuff i'll bring to the club...but i know i'm missing some NEW SHIT. The audience probably gets most of their new music from MTV/BET....i don't even have a TV, so what am i missing.my DJ friend tells me there's a willy wonka "i don't like the look of that" sampling song.i'm all about that julez santana "mr. postman" sampling track. i kinda like that will.i.am/sergio mendes song too.Soulstrut, please help me get my microwave onplease post:-yousendit links-digiwaxx track recomendationsplease don't:-hate

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

my DJ friend tells me there's a willy wonka "i don't like the look of that" sampling song.

someone asked me for this on saturday night. track id?

• I haven't got much in terms of new shit, but I've come across some older hip hop that you might not have heard of and is .

InI - Center of Attention This album is gold from start to finish, smooth pete rock productions throughout. I might be delusional but I think this album is somewhat obscure.

Asamov - And Now... This album is also sick, think it's quite well known, maybe you don't know of it.

If you dunno Boot Camp Clik look into album "For The People"...

There were 4 tracks posted here on April 19th which are all .

If your down with any of those albums lemme know and I'll hook u up with a link, figured I wouldn't bother unless interest was shown...

Holla

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I haven't got much in terms of new shit, but I've come across some older hip hop that you might not have heard of and is .

InI - Center of Attention This album is gold from start to finish, smooth pete rock productions throughout. I might be delusional but I think this album is somewhat obscure.

Asamov - And Now... This album is also sick, think it's quite well known, maybe you don't know of it.

If your down with any of those albums lemme know and I'll hook u up with a link, figured I wouldn't bother unless interest was shown...

Holla

I don't think these will help him with the kiddies.

• I haven't got much in terms of new shit, but I've come across some older hip hop that you might not have heard of and is .

Holla

I don't think these will help him with the kiddies.

Maybe not, just trying to contribute...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

my DJ friend tells me there's a willy wonka "i don't like the look of that" sampling song.

Da Backwudz - "I Don't Like The Look Of It".

It's pretty cool. Been around for a few months now, I think.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This is the only time I have ever heard anybody say anything good about this album.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

thanks for the link. i don't like the sound of it.

Holla

thanks for the contributions, but i don't think i could get away with dropping unreleased pete rock projects from the 90s....i could probably get away with "be easy" though

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Hahaha! That Oompa-Loompa sample does get people asking what it is, though.

• thanks for the umpa loompa Backwoodz track. i like it enough to play it

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Pretty much anything T.I. or Dem Franchize Boyz or anything that sounds like either

And of course G-Unit

Rap's real sleepy right now

I don't think they've even stopped playing "Touch It" yet, and I was tired of that the first time I heard it

"Tell Me When to Go" might go over

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    This should keep you crowdpleasing for about 45 minutes:

Control Myself (Featuring Jennifer Lopez) 3:54 LL Cool J & Jennifer Lopez

What You Know 4:33 T.I.
    (and whatever song just got released as the next single)

Lean Wit It, Rock Wit It (Explicit Version) 3:50 Dem Franchize Boyz Featuring Peenut & Charlay
    Poppin' My Collar 2:56 T hree 6 Mafia
    Fresh AZIMIZ 4:31 Bow Wow, J-Kwon & Jermaine Dupri
    Touch It (Remix) 3:57 Busta Rhymes Touch It
    Unpredictable (Main) 3:39 Jamie Foxx & Ludacris
    Touch the Sky (Featuring Lupe Fiasco) 3:56 Kanye West
    Young Jock - It's Going Down
    Lil Wayne - Hustler Muzik
    Rick Ross - Hustlin
    Rihanna - SOS

The Three-Six, Mobb Deep, and Project Pat singles are very good (and popular)

Hopefully the Dj Khaled track will cause everyone to forget that LL/J-Lo song ever existed

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    Here are a few of my suggestions (PM me if you need assistance tracking these down):

R&B:

T-Pain-In Luv Wit Stripper (LP version/remix version)
    Chris Brown-Yo (Excuse Me Miss)
    Chris Brown/Lil Wayne-Gimme That (remix)

Club Bangerz:

D4L-Laffy Taffy
    DFB-I Think They Like Me (remix)
    Nelly et al.-Grillz
    Shawnna-Gettin' Some Head
    D4L-Betcha Can't Do It Like Me
    DFB-Lean Wit It, Rock Wit It
    Busta-Touch It (LP version/remix version)
    Bubba Sparxxx-Ms. New Booty
    Gucci Mane-Go Head
    Chamillionaire-Ridin Dirty
    Juvenile-Rodeo
    Juvenile-What's Happenin'
    Young Dro/TI-Shoulder Lean
    Yung Joc-It's Going Down
    Rick Ross-Hustlin' (LP version/remix version)
    Lil Wayne-Money On My Mind

STL hot trax:

Baby Huey-Pop Lock N Drop It
    Gena-Dope Boy Fresh
    Potzee-Dat Gurl

I'd also suggest getting copies of Thug Motivation (Young Jeezy), Tha Carter 2 (Lil Wayne) and King (T.I.) cause most pre-21 yo's know these discs song for song and will request random tracks that aren't necessarily "radio-friendly".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

you're not ready.

I started to make a list of hot shit, but then realized that it was way too local for SS.

Dj Khaled - Holla at me feat Fat joe, Paul Wall, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne.
    Young Joc - Going down
    Yound Dro - Shoulder lean feat TI
    Lil Jon - Snap ya fingers
    Rasheeda - Get this money
    Shawnna - Getting some & remix
    Bohagon - Wuz up feat the chics from Crime mob
    Ray Cash - Bumpin my music
    Kinfolk Kia Shine - Respect my fresh
    TI - Why you wanna
    TI - What you know
    TI - Front back (maybe that's just Houston)
    Lil Boosie - Ratchet (UGHHH STILL!!!)
    Lil Webbie - Like that
    BG - Move around
    Lil Wayne - hustler music
    Crime Mob - Rock yo Hips
    Trap squad - What "ha'nanen"

Local shit bonus tracks:

Lil Keke - Chunk up the deuce
    Wino - Pop my trunk
    Mc Qua & Hi-C feat Master P - Guitar wit it

Local shit bonus tracks:

I haven't really been paying much attention to whats going on, but this better get some national play when its actually released as a single cuz its one of few good rap records to come out this year...

Local shit bonus tracks:

I haven't really been paying much attention to whats going on, but this better get some national play when its actually released as a single cuz its one of few good rap records to come out this year...

Its definitely a club banger on the slow side. I wonder if all the southern "backlash" (for lack of a better word) will kill off some of the actually good songs coming out of the south this year and beyond?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    chunk up the deuce is a banger
    i remember hearing some mike jones track featuring pimp c and someone else and pimp c completely ripped the shit out of the track. i know the title of it had something to do with drank. anyone know what im talking about?

Local shit bonus tracks:

Its definitely a club banger on the slow side. I wonder if all the southern "backlash" (for lack of a better word) will kill off some of the actually good songs coming out of the south this year and beyond?

The backlash hasn't happened yet.

But don't worry, If my lizard sources are correct, it will be coming soon. Perhaps this fall.

i remember hearing some mike jones track featuring pimp c and someone else and pimp c completely ripped the shit out of the track. i know the title of it had something to do with drank. anyone know what im talking about?

I just noticed today there's a new single from Pimp C titled "Pourin Up" ft Mike Jones & Bun B... haven't heard yet but I assume thats what you're asking about

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

I just noticed today there's a new single from Pimp C titled "Pourin Up" ft Mike Jones & Bun B... haven't heard yet but I assume thats what you're asking about
    ok that's it
    i thought it was a mike jones track but i guess it was wrong. pimp c completely RIPS that shit

• If you dunno Boot Camp Clik look into album "For The People"...

This is the only time I have ever heard anybody say anything good about this album.

LoL, I have to admit I haven't listened to it, although I was told from what I thought was a good source that it was good?

Guess I'll have to re-assess his authority in these matters...

Which ones are good?

all-time favourite. can't believe that album is now close to 10 years old.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

LoL, I have to admit I haven't listened to it, although I was told from what I thought was a good source that it was good?

Guess I'll have to re-assess his authority in these matters...

Which ones are good?

No, it's trash, and effectively ended their careers.

The only two BCC projects anyone needs:

And some people--though not me--might recommend the Heltah Skeltah album.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

I HATE THAT SONG!!!!!!!! Straight Garbation people! I don't like the sound of it! LOL

• gnarles barkley

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Soul Position - Things Go Better With RJ and AL.
    Mobb Deep - Blood Money.
    Scarface Presents The Product - One Hunid.
    Sub-Con - Sub Talk.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Scarface Presents The Product - One Hunid.

yes.

• Rix22Rix22 67 Posts
    What's the vibe on that Trae ft/Pimp C "Swang" locally and nationally? STL is starting to play it along with the Lil Keke.