guru and premo no more?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
i was just listening to some toronto college radio station and guru was on phone promoting his new album that's on his new indie label, 7 grams records or something. anyhow interviewer asked him the question of whether we'd see another gangstarr album and he was like "not unless its on 7 grams records". he seemed to elude the possibility of another gangstarr album, saying that he wants to move forward and stuff, and he made this funny comparison (i found it funny) about how there's the dynasty of snoop and dre, and then there's snoop with pharell, and so to him, snoop and dre was like him and premo, and now with his current dj (who i forget at the moment) he feel's like he's going to the next level. that's cool. gangstarr has to be one of the most consistent groups ever, but has the sound really evolved at all?anyhow i think its probably for the best, i really hate bands/groups that stay together too long and ruin sheit. like when public enemy did "give it up give it up now", i mean its kind of grave, but im glad nirvana ended as soon as they did. maybe even hendrix...like what if hendrix was doing songs with lenny kravitz today, that would suck. but on a serious tip, i think it takes courage and decency to have a nice career with a crew and say, ok that's the end of that. then again, some peeps have a chemistry that can't be touched. would i even listen to guru if the beats didnt back him?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    guru's next album cover makes me never want to check for anything he releases in the future

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    guru's next album cover makes me never want to check for anything he releases in the future

jpg?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    nah, not that one. it was some matrix jumpoff. shit was mad corny.

• feelin those handstyles!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hmmm, that cover is kinda good.

I totally respect them putting gangstarr to rest. I hope its because they have that same respect for their own groups legacy and not cause of some silly beef between guru and preem.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    nah, not that one. it was some matrix jumpoff. shit was mad corny.

Tru dat.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    is that a Bart Simpson tatoo on Guru's arm??

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Really tho, premo and guru pairing up brought out the best in both of em. I can't imagine what guru's going to do now, he's been doing the same thing lyrically for 15 years. Can you really see him mixing it up??? Premo on the other hand will probably at least get work.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    why 7.0?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Really tho, premo and guru pairing up brought out the best in both of em. I can't imagine what guru's going to do now, he's been doing the same thing lyrically for 15 years. Can you really see him mixing it up??? Premo on the other hand will probably at least get work.

yeah but that chemistry is pretty well over with. did you listen to the ownerz? Yeah. so its probably better that they put it away. you know?

Just a guess.... maybe the 7th album of his (counting the gangstarr ones)?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

nah he's had way more than 7 -

No More Mr. Nice Guy
    Step Into The Marina
    Daily Operation
    Hard To Earn
    Moment Of Truth
    Ownerz
    all three jazzmatazzesess
    and didn't he have another crappy solo record?

nah he's had way more than 7 -

No More Mr. Nice Guy
    Step Into The Marina
    Daily Operation
    Hard To Earn
    Moment Of Truth
    Ownerz
    all three jazzmatazzesess
    and didn't he have another crappy solo record?

Naw but I'm saying ONLY counting the gangstarr ones, it makes sense. His website is gurugangstarr so maybe he's doing some confusing claim that he's the one behind gangstarr?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Naw but I'm saying ONLY counting the gangstarr ones, it makes sense. His website is gurugangstarr so maybe he's doing some confusing claim that he's the one behind gangstarr?

oh i see... kinda... fuck that dude.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    After peeping the snippets on Guru's website, here's some thoughts.

Guru's ear for beats is still on point.
    More emcees should do albums with one producer.
    It's probably pretty nice if you don't focus on it too much.

Some of the sample choices are just corny.
    The hooks are bad.
    Guru still isn't much of an emcee.
    Guru needs to stop trying to be 'current'.

All in all, I think this Solar guy's best beats beat the bulk of Premier's new shit.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    why 7.0?

from the website

"...seven is a divine number. So we see seven as the representation of perfection, a perfect number, or the seventh letter of the alphabet - which is G, which represents GOD. And grand means something of a large or extraordinary measure..."

ok that makes sense

• Options
    So 7.0=1000?

K.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    So 7.0=1000?

K.

Do the math, god.

• Options
    I gotta finish this list soon,

K>

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    So 7.0=1000?

K.

Do the math, god.

Dope! Supreme mathematics.

• Options
    Please paypal 21.0 (or $3000 US cash) to [email]soufriere1@yahoo......[/email]

K>

P.S. Sun Ra was a much more accomplished word scientist.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

nah I think it's this

I think I'd prefer Bart Simpson.

nah I think it's this

I think I'd prefer Bart Simpson.

Looks like baldhead slick is doing the pee pee dance.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    So 7.0=1000?

K.

Do the math, god.

Dope! Supreme mathematics.

It ain't no mystery [/b]

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    So 7.0=1000=how many copies this record will sell

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    isn't 7 the most random number in the world?
    Kev?

• Options
    I've never heard that. How can anything be the most amongst random? Does not compute drops glasses.

K.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    isn't 7 the most random number in the world?
    Kev?

"most random" = high brow oxymoron

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Here it's a big joke amongst certain Math professors...guess we have bad humor!?