Jamiriquai??

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Just wondered what people on here think of this dudes music..I heard some stuff the other day and although I used to dismiss him,I found myself diggin it a bit..pause?

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    you spelled "pause" wrong

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    you can't be serious

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

• guess i'll crawl under a rug now...

• Options
    take that Loyal Order of Water Buffalo's-hat wearing fuck with you.

K.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Paging Vitamin

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'll say there's been a couple of tracks I like.

I sometimes wonder what things would have been like if he joined Brand New Heavies. But then I come to my senses and I'm glad they didn't take him on.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    People hate on the dude, but he & his band often sound really close to the classic boogie/disco/jazzfunk sounds that those same people really dig. It's the syndrome of a talented artist writing, performing and most of all PRODUCING music that sounds like the classic stuff a lot of us like, but whose image and media persona is seen as "mad corny," so their music gets thrown out with the bathwater.

SEE ALSO: Lenny Kravitz

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    dude has tracks that are(or at least were) heat for the dance floor there's no denying that

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Just like this guy

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hot chicks ALWAYS like Jamirodude, and that's a fact of life.

Hot chicks who like cocaine ALWAYS like Jamirodude, and that's a fact of life.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Hot chicks who like cocaine ALWAYS like Jamirodude, and that's a fact of life.

My girl loves jamiroquai.

I hate Jamiroquai.

Sometimes she plays it to annoy me!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    guess i'll crawl under a rug now...

I, for one, applaud your candor.

As for me, what little I've heard falls in the category of stuff that sounds ok at first but rapidly becomes tired upon repeated listening. That and dude trys a little too hard to sound like Stevie Wonder.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Hot chicks ALWAYS like Jamirodude, and that's a fact of life.

You know some things are a little different south of the border (and in Europe)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    People hate on the dude, but he & his band often sound really close to the classic boogie/disco/jazzfunk sounds that those same people really dig. It's the syndrome of a talented artist writing, performing and most of all PRODUCING music that sounds like the classic stuff a lot of us like, but whose image and media persona is seen as "mad corny," so their music gets thrown out with the bathwater.

I second that emotion!

I haven't followed Jamiroquai's music in a good ten years, but when his first album dropped, one of my coworkers was playing it on the regular. At that time, the retro-funk craze was just getting started but it was primarily a record thing - not many artists were actually PERFORMING new, original funk at the time. Jamiroquai seemed like a breath of fresh air then.

But then I saw them live. And there was Jai Kai (or whatever the lead guy's name is), in the funny-looking hat and telling incomprehensible jokes between songs.

And I remember thinking: "musically, they're on the money, but if they EVER break in the States people are gonna get tired of that lead singer with the quickness."

Judging by this thread, they have.

Somehow, I never got around to buying those early albums, but I'll bet they'd sound really good if I were to hear them now.

But that "mad corny" comment (re: the lead singer's personality) nails it.

I second that emotion!

Thanks Stacks.

But that "mad corny" comment (re: the lead singer's personality) nails it.

Case in point: I was going to recommend that the hatters check the band's "Space Cowboy" track at the iTunes store to see how good the band was, and how close they got to a lot of Strutters' beloved jazzfunk sound. That was until about 2 seconds into the clip when dude gives his rap about "Now you know I got that cheeba cheeba kinda Space Cowboy vibe" at which point I threw up in the back of my mouth.

I second that emotion!

Thanks Stacks.

...and in his birthday thread, Stacks called Jinx "Herm"

what's going on around here??

I second that emotion!

Thanks Stacks.

Sorry Pickwick!!!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I second that emotion!

I haven't followed Jamiroquai's music in a good ten years, but when his first album dropped, one of my coworkers was playing it on the regular. At that time, the retro-funk craze was just getting started but it was primarily a record thing - not many artists were actually PERFORMING new, original funk at the time. Jamiroquai seemed like a breath of fresh air then.

Somehow, I never got around to buying those early albums, but I'll bet they'd sound really good if I were to hear them now.

I was once really into the acid jazz sound (yeh, suspect!) and enjoyed the first 2 Jamiroquai LPs when they came out...I still think they hold up well when compared to a lot of other similar stuff released around the same time. However, the group certainly dropped off in terms of *quality* IMO- and gained a shitload of popularity - with their 3rd album (featuring that "Virtual Instanity" cut which got a fair amount of airplay on MTV)...it was at this point that their music became more Pop than Funk or Acid Jazz or whathaveyou. It was also at this point that JK started taking more control over the group's musical direction.

*quality" is a subjective term, though.

SG

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was once really into the acid jazz sound (yeh, suspect!) and enjoyed the first 2 Jamiroquai LPs when they came out...I still think they hold up well when compared to a lot of other similar stuff released around the same time.

After his MTV video, It was a wrap.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

SEE ALSO: Lenny Kravitz

Shit, so you're saying if I don't like Kravitz I'm a hater jumping on the hater-bangwagon?

*runs to Amoeba to cop reissues of Kravitz*

guess i'll crawl under a rug now...

I, for one, applaud your candor.

As for me, what little I've heard falls in the category of stuff that sounds ok at first but rapidly becomes tired upon repeated listening. That and dude trys a little too hard to sound like Stevie Wonder.

Dude looks fucking mad stupid in his oversized hats. There, it's been said. Music aside. Dudes fashion is a joke.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I second that emotion!

Thanks Stacks.

Nah, not that, I need one of those Southwest Airlines vacations. I've been burning the candle at both ends and in the middle professionally. I go up for tenure next year. No disrespect to Sir Jinx or Hotsauce. And, I pretty much agree with Pickwick's and Marco's positions on Jamiroquai.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I second that emotion!

I was once really into the acid jazz sound (yeh, suspect!) and enjoyed the first 2 Jamiroquai LPs when they came out...I still think they hold up well when compared to a lot of other similar stuff released around the same time. However, the group certainly dropped off in terms of *quality* IMO- and gained a shitload of popularity - with their 3rd album (featuring that "Virtual Instanity" cut which got a fair amount of airplay on MTV)...it was at this point that their music became more Pop than Funk or Acid Jazz or whathaveyou. It was also at this point that JK started taking more control over the group's musical direction.

*quality" is a subjective term, though.

SG

Let's face it. The music video (which was very cool) was primary and the music (which, according to a lot of you was cool as well) was secondary. Had he not had such an awesome music video his music never would have blown up the way it did. Think also Lucas of "Lucas With the Lid Off". Pretty good track with an awesome music video. Otherwise probably would have never blown up the way it did (in both cases). Yes, and I realize Lucas didn't blow up the way Jamiroquai did but I still loved that music video (heading towards youtube right now)...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I heard a story told by Roy Ayers about Jaykay. He was mad bitchy about Jamiroqui's name appearing in a much smaller font, underneath Roy's on a poster for a Jazz Cafe show in the early 90's. So not a good rook.....

I've combined two of Marco's favourite artists in one post. w00t!

ps: I still rike Brand New Heavies, yes I'm asking for my kufi to be yoinked.

Dudes fashion is a joke.

Not saying Mr. Bullhorn Hat is Eugene Record or anything, but if chuckle-inducing fashion were a factor, we'd be hating on these guys too:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Wots not to rike? If people start hating on them, I'm handing in my badge.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Dude they were fuckin dope too...N'dea Davenport can SANG!

I saw Jamiroquai 2 times in like 95-96 at the Metro in Chicago...and those fools were INSANE. Jai has a dope voice imho and the band back then was super fuckin tight and funky...I saw them a few years later at a big festival type concert and wasn't feeling them at all. I like the funky disco vibe on a lot of the shit from Synkronized, and when that 12" remix of Cosmic Girl came out, that song was THE SHIT to me.