• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Nice stuff Dakar, can't beat that price

I bought a bunch of non raers this weekend, blah blah blah. Highlights:

Yesterday:

This morning:

holla!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I bought a bunch of non raers[/b] this weekend

???? Is there a possiblity you could report to dermists with these trails? I missed it when it was posted during the raer MP3 orgy many moons ago.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    ok-- here are records i picked up from a nice young woman who was selling her ailing mothers record collection. i was amazed at how incredible the collection was, and the excellent minty shape all of them were in. i have never come across a collection with as much quality jazz heat as this at one time.
    there was apparently some other 'record guy' that looked at the collection before me. i am supposing from the lack of miles, blue notes (i did get some og blue notes), and some of the early-mid 50s titles that the person probably scooped up some of the cream of the crop, but he obviously didn't pick up all of the goods.
    these were 2 bucks each, and i was happy to pay for it. ALL OG copies.[/img]

If he left all those at 2 bucks each, he aint a 'record guy'

nice finds!

you'd be surprised what "record guys" leave behind
    especially if they're of the beatles/stones/oldies rock collectible variety

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

you'd be surprised what "record guys" leave behind
    especially if they're of the beatles/stones/oldies rock collectible variety
    I live this sentiment. Welcome to Alberta.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

This morning:

holla!

CHECK PM'S ASAP.

• Options

Does anybody K in Canada or JP know if there is a
    dub/instro of the track "Civilize Reggae" from this album??

Mr. Rodney does a fine job over the top, but that backing track
    is absolute pure scorching FIRE, and I would love to hear a dub...

Yeah, there's a dub LP (containing) and a 45 for that track.

Nice Find, K in Canada.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yeah, there's a dub LP (containing) and a 45 for that track.

Nice Find, K in Canada.

Thanks! The combo of spacey keyboards and tough horns
    on that track is phenomenal...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    NICE stuff!

Are & be has gone for $ in the past. Personally I can't stand it, but it does right by some people.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Are & Be-
    had it maybe 3 years ago. harry whitaker and khaliq al-rouf are on it.
    musically it is truly bad. i think calling it "modern" or "boogie" would be hard-pressed. the recited poetry over it is bad if i remember correct.

but the black renaissance/al-salaam connection transplanted a guilty $150 in my palm a day before a parisian vacation. a copy sold after for $80 and then another for less.

perhaps it's been long enough that some have forgotten how bad it is and will pay again.

• a few joints this weekend:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Are & Be-
    had it maybe 3 years ago. harry whitaker and khaliq al-rouf are on it.
    musically it is truly bad. i think calling it "modern" or "boogie" would be hard-pressed. the recited poetry over it is bad if i remember correct.

but the black renaissance/al-salaam connection transplanted a guilty $150 in my palm a day before a parisian vacation. a copy sold after for $80 and then another for less.

perhaps it's been long enough that some have forgotten how bad it is and will pay again.

while i'm not 100% certain of definitions--I guess I'd call it a modern soul/boogie cut, because it is basically early 80s r&b mixed with a electro-funk synth sound and while the recitation of the poetry may be bad, the lyrics themselves are taken from frederick douglass--so i can't call that bad.
    plus, there is a dub/sort of instro cut of it, as well as a smoother ballad type soul song. not really good at all, but not the worst of the moder i've heard.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    Had a real good time at the Omaha show today...easily the best show in a couple years (which unfortunately isn't saying much). Some fun records to look at:

Stone mint Byrds first press in shrink...OG Starsailor (super clean)....Who bootleg...sealed private metal...second Willie and the Bees (it's sealed...is it worth opening?).

Lots of 45s at this show but I'm always checking the LPs first...did come up with a few nice singles though...Ram Rodriguez is a tough latin funk 45 from Texas...Liverbirds is classic girl garage/beat...nice soulful garage tune from Rockin' Devils...Soul Shakers on Loma

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Yesterday:

What's this about? How does it sound?

Yesterday:

What's this about? How does it sound?

Fun pop-psych "intepretations" i.e. songs about Paul Klee's work. At times annoying, at times rad. A little like the folky "Oregon-ian" version of Free Design.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    wurd thanks

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    That Pete Peterson is a terd... really bad lounge music. Not a single redeeming moment...

I was stoked when I found it, disappointed when I put it on.

couldn't have said it better myself.