Torrent sites for movies

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I want goofy 80s flicks involving summer camp and skiing. Also, I want to be able to dowload some substantial flicks. I'm tired of crappy movies. I want them to be camp or good, not in between. Films are particularly important to me right since I'm into my third week of exams (i.e. third of week of procrastinating). Where should I go to download?

Comments

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    good question... i've been wondering as well.

i'm specifically looking for the old 70's movie "Car Wash"... dunno why i've been wanting to see that again lately.

someone, point us to the ultimate movie site...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I still don't understand what a torrent is and i've tried using bittorrent to download shit but i can never get it to work. any suggestions? sorry i'm no help.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    torrentspy.com is reasonably good and demonoid.com is better, but both will only get you mainstream material and television shows

So I just watched Narnia. It was worth all the whining and silliness for the amazing creatures. I could watch the minotaurs and cyclopses and griffins and centaurs for day and days. That stuff is so cool! I don't need character development (particularing involving ten year olds) or plot; I just want cool and creative special effects.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    http://secret-cinema.com

seems to be the best one I've come across with regards to what you're looking for.

there's got to be something better though?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    http://secret-cinema.com

seems to be the best one I've come across with regards to what you're looking for.

there's got to be something better though?

yeah karagarga is a little bit better. you have to register tho

http://karagarga.kicks-ass.org/

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    little treat:

Female Convict 701: Scorpion

saw some people talking about this yesterday

Hmm I usually use mininova as it has a wide range of torrents, you most likely know about it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    the answer is karagarga.

- spidey

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Think karagarga is too anal on "no mainstream tastes" so I don't think it would have the kinds of films your looking for. I was booted off there for not keeping my ratio up to par so I can't really check though. In any case you should sign up there because it has a lot of interesting films on there.

Other than that I suggest you check out http://www.myspleen.net/

You're blaming KG cause you can't keep your ratio up, so they banned you?
    Too Anal? I can request almost any film, and they'll have it up within the week.

- spidey

the answer is karagarga.

- spidey

Their application form is absurdly pretentious. Defend my tastes in literature? Do I like the mainstream? Fuck you. I want to illegally download films, not posture about being counter-culture.

Why don't you just cut the foreplay and ask for an invite? Pm me. You're welcome. But, I want you to do me one favor. I want you to hit me as hard as you can.

- spidey

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    http://www.mininova.org/ is pretty good. DL Pedicab Driver, The Blade, & Old Boy.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    can someone pm an invite to one of this bitches where i can see some movies ive heard of? Ive never been able to get bit torrent shit working either.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I want to illegally download films

So quit posturing against counter-culture posturing, jump through a couple hoops and get your download on. You don't have to interact with anyone on Karagarga beyond keeping your ratio up, which is easy as pie as long as you spot a swarm early now and then.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

So quit posturing against counter-culture posturing, jump through a couple hoops and get your download on. You don't have to interact with anyone on Karagarga beyond keeping your ratio up, which is easy as pie as long as you spot a swarm early now and then.

COS();

Seriously. KG is amazing. Back a couple months ago when they featured Kinji Fukasaku I learned tons and STILL havn't watched all the flicks I got.

-pj

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    F'get torrents.

USENET, players. (Though it's not as good for vintage films I suppose)

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Too Anal? I can request almost any film, and they'll have it up within the week.

- spidey
    Who's blaming anything? Are you saying that KG is a good source for goofy 80's summer camp films?

- spidey
    Who's blaming anything? Are you saying that KG is a good source for goofy 80's summer camp films?

Also, I want to be able to dowload some substantial flicks[/b]. I'm tired of crappy movies. I want them to be camp or good, not in between[/b].

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Danno, did you see this spoof movie?

Danno, did you see this spoof movie?

You know, I'm downloading it as I type. For some reason I never got around to seeing it. I suppose I was too busy watching Meatballs 4 for the 8 billionth time.

My apologies to fans of karagara. I didn't mean to offend. However, I maintain that asking whether "I understand that NO mainstream tastes will be tolerated on this site" is condascending. It's also fairly absurd. What's mainstream? Gee wiz, I'd hate to fall afoul of the admittions committee. But I do want in so I did fill it out.

Can you imagine if soulstrut had one of these forms?

How many years have you been collecting records?
    Do you like commercial rap?
    How big is your dick?

• Hey Danno,

I need to vouch for KG as well. I never had to go through the application process, but many of my friends have complained about the elitest attitude as well. I could see why it seems a bit over the top. But in honesty, I believe that excluding mainstream movies isn't as much snobbery, as it is a practical way to keep the MPAA at bay. Of course, it's all still technically illegal, but most of their resources are probably better focused on going after rips of Finding Nemo vs. a Criterion version of Wild Strawberries.

The reason why I'm such a cheerleader for KG is because it's well maintained by people who are passionate about movies. There are very few dead links, and a ratio/bonus system in place that encourages seeding. For those who are interested in checking it out, some of the more interesting titles I've seen posted: multiple Sun Ra documentaries, John Peel's Record box documentary, Sonic Youth and Fugazi docs, tons of Asian and European imports, 70's commercials, Fela concerts, Hunter Thompson-When I Die, that Vinyl documentary everyone loves, Broken Flowers, Squid and the Whale, Brian Wilson documentaries, Power of 10 (Eames), Blaxsploitation, and more. I've yet to find stuff like this elsewhere.

There is also a camp/cult section, which may have what your looking for. No Porkies 3 but i'm working on it!

Well put, anasarcasm. I wasn't trying to act all ass-hurt, Danno, I just don't want you to miss out on an assload of great movies. I tried to convince a friend to join the site and he had the same issue with it. Like, "Well, what really constitutes mainstream?" I told him the same thing, "Who cares? Just get whatever you can get and leave the film nerd arguments to those who enjoy that sort of thing."

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The commercial thing is because you can get commercial movies where ever the fuck else on the internet. Most of the movies on KG you can't find elsewhere and you definitely can't find a community of people with all that shit. It's basically just to get a more focused group so you aren't cluttered with crap.

I haven't downloaded shit from KG in a while but I really haven't had time to even watch shit lately. Anyone got any recommendations?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I never bothered going forward with KG
    because I assumed they would expect me
    to already have some quality films to
    share, and I haven't built anything up yet.

If I were set up to store my own DVD & VHS collection
    on my hard drive I would be able to contribute -
    I've got some goodies. But it didn't seem like the
    kind of spot I could show up to empty-handed, looking
    to score.

If anybody has a downloadable copy of "Friends of
    Eddie Coyle" I'll be your personal butler for 6 months (noayo)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i haven't uploaded shit on kg and i have a decent ratio

• autezautez 404 Posts
    what movies are good on karagnana? ive gotten the following

eraserhead
    double indemnity (havent peeped yet)
    Neco z Alenky AKA Alice (havent peeped yet)

I recently DLd/watched Fukuro no shiro (AKA Owls' Castle) and the OG Assault on Precinct 13. Both were awesome. I also finally rented Sha Po Lang. It was as good as everyone claimed it was.

Are you saying that KG is a good source for goofy 80's summer camp films?

Kg is not about films you can rent at blockbuster, but you could always request it.

- spidey

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    can someone be cool enough to invite me to KG? i promise i'll keep my ratio above average... i just really don't feel like filling out the forms. much appreciated.