Do I buy another Walkman or do I give up?

schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
It is 2006

Comments

• It is 2006

You mean like with cassette tapes???

Get thee to an MP3 player.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Dude.. didn't you get the memo?

Maybe get MD!

Myself.. I'm waiting for sony to come out with portable Blue Ray...

But for real.. Look for something with removable media... I'm betting you see serious jumps in sizes available in the next year. I can already put 2 gigs in my phone.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    somebody posted this a little while back:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    It is 2006

Yeah--and we can't afford to lose any more tape heads!

I rocked my Walkman to work this morning, just like every day. Cassettes Rule Everything Around Me, god.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

There's even an extra headphone jack for a friend???

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i had one just like that. And they cost a fortune too. $100 1983 dollars

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

damn dude, you are old.

get an ipod now.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i have an ipod shuffle now. Im just sayin' it was cutting edge back then. And it only weighed like 5 lbs.

• walkmans? direct drive turntables? it's 2006, we should be driving personalized space ships.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Is that real? I would cop one so quick.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

the model in the ad (TPS-L2) came out in 1979 and went for about....oh, 5 or 6 times that.

i collect those thangs. my friend dug up her grandpa's TPS-L2 and gave it to me. twas a happy day.

Is that real? I would cop one so quick.

I think it might be real, not sure. Here's the thread it came from:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat...true#Post629572

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Yeah, I found it on thinkgeek.com. It's real but $140. I would have bought one were it $50 but $140 is steep considering I don't have many tapes anyway.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

the model in the ad (TPS-L2) came out in 1979 and went for about....oh, 5 or 6 times that.

Yeah, I scanned that pic from a '79 Playboy mag ad. I'm a tadbit younger than Sabadabada, so I grew up with the mid-to-late 80s models. Damn those things were bulky. Can't really say I miss 'em.

I still got my tape deck at home for occasional use (I do love that tape sound), but on the streets I'm not trying to roll with some big ol' Walkman.

• girgir 329 Posts

There's even an extra headphone jack for a friend???

sony's president (or other high up) was insistent that music continue to be a shared experience and thus the second jack appears on the original walkmans.

no one used the second jack though and it was later removed.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    no one used the second jack though and it was later removed

man, we used to run the shit out of the second jack on the school bus!... this was the early 90s, and we all had the yellow "water resistant" sony walkman with the rubber buttons and snap close cover

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• I strongly warn against buying any Sony discmans. They used to make some quality electronics, but in past 5 years or so I find the quality is steadily decreasing. Have owned 2 and they always break. Their headphones, the mid-range ones are also mega-shitty. Fuckin plastic frame breaks without fail, everybody who has ever owned a pair agrees.

However, their new line of MP3 players/Flash USB Keys seem on point. My boy has one and seems satisfied with it.

I'd suggest dropping the $ for an Ipod, but make sure you get extended warranty cause they son you with the battery which can't keep it's charge after a relatively short while.

I copped this one at xmas...

Has worked beautifully thus far...

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    walkmans? direct drive turntables? it's 2006, we should be driving personalized space ships.

i was hoping for a time machine by now too...

folks in japan still rock walkmans, big hooptie walkmans. i think they may have run on D batteries.

no one used the second jack though and it was later removed

man, we used to run the shit out of the second jack on the school bus!... this was the early 90s, and we all had the yellow "water resistant" sony walkman with the rubber buttons and snap close cover

ahhh yes, the SPORT model. Those were rugged. They used to have a radio shack rip off version that didn't actually have the rubber, it was just yellow.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Quick comparitive shopping at lunch shows that you can cop a piece of shit no auto reverse no rewind tape player for ten bucks (not including batteries). Fancy shit is at Radio Shack for 30, Best Buy for 32. Froogle tells me something similar

FYI tape dudes

• walkmans? direct drive turntables? it's 2006, we should be driving personalized space ships.

folks in japan still rock walkmans, big hooptie walkmans. i think they may have run on D batteries.

word I heard they actually still make MIX-TAPES not MIX-CD's. Cra-zay considering that they like re-invent the computer every 2 minutes.

walkmans? direct drive turntables? it's 2006, we should be driving personalized space ships.

word I heard they actually still make MIX-TAPES not MIX-CD's. Cra-zay considering that they like re-invent the computer every 2 minutes.

I just heard this a couple days ago as well, and I bugged out. I don't like CDs, and I don't like having to put DJ mixes on CD when tapes are vastly superior, so the thought that there's still a market for honest-to-god mixtapes is very appealing.

• I don't like having to put DJ mixes on CD when tapes are vastly superior
    how do you figure that?

I don't like having to put DJ mixes on CD when tapes are vastly superior
    how do you figure that?

Analog sound.

Two-sided format.

• I don't like having to put DJ mixes on CD when tapes are vastly superior
    how do you figure that?

Analog sound.

Two-sided format.
    both true but that doesnt make cassettes better than cds. if you said vastly superior to 8-tracks i would be in agreeance. im not saying i think cds are better than tapes either. its the "vastly superior" in your statement that bugs me.

I don't like having to put DJ mixes on CD when tapes are vastly superior
    how do you figure that?

Analog sound.

Two-sided format.
    both true but that doesnt make cassettes better than cds. if you said vastly superior to 8-tracks i would be in agreeance. im not saying i think cds are better than tapes either. its the "vastly superior" in your statement that bugs me.

Point taken--I probably did get a little too overzealous there.

• Hey, what do y'all know about the Walkman Pro.

They still make Walkman Pro digital recorders, but obviously the
    cassette ones are discontinued.

I have a later model that came with a cool mini condenser mic
    and they all had adjustable recording level and LED meters.

This used to be the concert bootlegger's main tool:

• SONY TC-D5 M[/b]

SONY TC-D5 M[/b]

damn that thing got a tube in it or somethin? nice.