Portishead’s New Album....

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Any of you portishead fans still bump this?

is that cinematic orchestra? on Ninja tune?

Such fond memories of loosing my downtempo 'virginity' to this album!

That's right...and we did it

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

what the hell is that? Hell yeah Id buy a new portishead record. I would hope they would be doing something different for 2005, but I would buy it on the strength anyways, and I would definitely care!

Portishead is dope! mabye not enough machismo for faux rills? Not black enough? Why the hate?

Im not saying theivery corporation doesnt suck badly, and im certainly no fan of pottery barn downtempo, but portishead was cool.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

what the hell is that?

Cinematic Orchestra's first album 'Motion' on Ninja Tune. Cool album that seamlessly blends live instrumentation and sample-based 'trip-hop'.

• 1980Beatz1980Beatz 159 Posts
    Anybody own the DVD of Live in NYC?

Pretty fucking impressive if you ask me.

And the video for "Only YOu" is by far the best video ever made.

..and yeah, I would buy a new POrtishead album in a hot second.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I'd check it out too, Geoff Barrow is still doing good stuff....and Beth's voice is always on point too.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I would buy a new Portishead LP as soon as it drops! Wifey and I love both of their LPs. I am pretty sure that they can still come with it on the production side of things. Act like you know folls....

Stephanie Mckay - "Mckay" LP
    Go Beat/Universal (UK), 2003
    production by Geoff Barrow of Portishead
    Track # 5 - "Thinking of you" = BANANAS!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I would buy a new Portishead LP as soon as it drops! Wifey and I love both of their LPs. I am pretty sure that they can still come with it on the production side of things. Act like you know folls....

Good Call on that one.
    Groups like Zero 7 kinda replaced that sound.
    Trip-hop is dead.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Cosign.

I don't have the LP in front of me, but is "Thinking Of You" the hip-house/disco-ish song? That song goes well with Ghost's "Walking Through The Darkness."

Also, that song where she sings over that "Double Barrel" loop is dope, too.

BUT... she's no Beth. Nothing can compare to that, of course.

Herm

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Portishead is dope! mabye not enough machismo for faux rills?
    Not black enough? Why the hate?

young D****l got his finger on the pulse of the black community

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    pottery barn downtempo

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    pottery barn downtempo

thats crazy. i was just about to quote that too.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    pottery barn downtempo

so nice to see it thrice

hi S**

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I'd definitely be checking out a new Portishead album. I was listening to their first album this weekend actually. My friggin' copy of it was missing for a good 2 years. I still had the case, just couldn't find the damn CD anywhere. Then this weekend I pull out my "Something/Anything" CD by Todd Rundgren, open up disc 1 and voila, there's my copy of "Dummy" stuck in the case with the Rundgren disc. Goddamn, I was so happy I immediately put the Portishead album in and listened.

Add onto that the fact that I finally found the 2 discs of the Nat King Cole box set I hadn't been able to find for a few months and it was a good weekend of locating missing music for me. I needed something to make me happy this weekend because my uncle died on Saturday and I have to go to his funeral on Wednesday and I am *not* looking forward to that at all. Funerals get the gas face.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Sorry to hear that about your uncle man. Hang in there.

Sorry to hear that about your uncle man. Hang in there.

Yeah, I'm fine... My uncle and I weren't exactly the closest people in the world. With most of my extended family (aunts & uncles, cousins, etc) it's more of a "see you at Christmas" relationship, so... I mean, it's my uncle so it still affects me, but it's more like an acquaintance dying than a close family member dying. Even so, going to funerals sucks. I could go to a funeral for an absolute stranger and just the mood of it make me shed tears. Growing up and old is a bitch because I know I'm going to be going to funerals more and more frequently as the years go by.

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    Their website says that they are currently working on a new album.

Its said that shit for the past 2 years though.

You guys are dead on their time is passed??????but I am a huge fan and would definitely pick up a new album.

After seeing the DVD I think that Portishead is the only other group (Bjork being the other artist) I would travel to see play live.

You guys are dead on their time is passed??????but I am a huge fan and would definitely pick up a new album.

See, I don't think their time has passed. Their time has only passed if they put out an album that sounds just like the stuff they've already done. If they're just trying to rehash older material then yes, their time has passed. However, they could very well come out with something that still has a Portishead vibe but that takes things in a new direction. Maybe what they do won't sell a few million copies, but since when does sales indicate the quality of music? Hell, most of us on here chase after records that didn't even go aluminum let alone platinum. I'll give Portishead the benefit of the doubt until I hear new stuff from them that sounds like total rehash.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i was lucky enough to see portishead live about 6 or 7 years ago and it was a pretty impressive show complete with psychedelic visuals. the only thing that annoyed me was all the girls in the crowd were singing along with the lyrics. on a side note, if anyone wants an mp3 of the jimi entley 7" that geoff barrow and adrian utley recorded, i will mp3 it and post it in this thread later on tonight...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Cinematic Orchestra's first album 'Motion' on Ninja Tune. Cool album that seamlessly blends live instrumentation and sample-based 'trip-hop'.

"Everyday" and the "Man With The Movie Camera" DVD are dope as well. The MWTMC film was well ahead of it's time, and I think Cinematic Orchestra did a pretty good job on capturing the feel of the footage. Recommended.

And ain't nuttin' but love for Portishead from here. Admitted, I haven't heard their albums for a couple of years due to a triphop (yuk! term) OD, but that doesn't change the fact that it's quality material. If they came with some next level shit, I'd definetely check it out. Big co-sign regarding their concerts as well. Experience that. Nuff Respect.

Speaking of the icons of that period, check out DJ Krush' latest, "Jaku" as well, it's dope in a panflute-and-koto-meets-hiphop kinda way.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I'll give Portishead the benefit of the doubt until I hear new stuff from them that sounds like total rehash.

I can remember saying that about gangstarr too though, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Like i promised earlier, here is "apache" by the jimi entley sound in mp3 format.

http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=13555IQ1ER71M0PMK51IQMUAC3

enjoy.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Growing up and old is a bitch because I know I'm going to be going to funerals more and more frequently as the years go by.

Sad but true hommie.

• the best show i have ever seen was by portishead, i even had to travel to austin and back for it on the same (week)day in order to go to work the next morning. well worth it.
    i would buy a new album from them in a heartbeat.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    i just got a promo of the new album "invisible invasion" by The Coral today - produced by geoff and adrian from portishead.

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    I just think that a new Portishead album wouldn???t make as much as an impact now as it did 10 years ago. I mean you couldn???t go into a college dorm anywhere without hearing that album when Dummy dropped. The Trip Hop thing is over.

Don???t get me wrong I think a new album would sell...especially outside the states but it just wouldnt have as much of an impact as it did a decade ago. Even if they made the hottest shit you could imagine.....the Interpolish groups have stolen their would be new fan base.

Unfortunately the same thing has happened to a lot of talented artists. Massive Attack is a good example. How many people have been introduced to Massive Attack through 100th Window....and gone back and purchased Blue Lines, etc. The majority of their fan base is people who have been with them since their first or second album.

Guess I'm getting of topic....but I hope you know what I mean.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I just think that a new Portishead album wouldn???t make as much as an impact now as it did 10 years ago. I mean you couldn???t go into a college dorm anywhere without hearing that album when Dummy dropped. The Trip Hop thing is over.
    Don???t get me wrong I think a new album would sell...especially outside the states but it just wouldnt have as much of an impact as it did a decade ago. Even if they made the hottest shit you could imagine.....the Interpolish groups have stolen there would be new fan base.
    Unfortunately the same thing has happened to a lot of talented artists. Massive Attack is a good example. How many people have been introduced to Massive Attack through 100th Window....and gone back and purchased Blue Lines, etc. The majority of their fan base is people who have been with them since their first or second album.
    Guess I'm getting of topic....but I hope you know what I mean.

Ditto. Kids dont care.The demograph for a new album would be aged 30-up.
    Sorry old folks. Electronica has really evolved sinc then.
    I was talkin' to this doofus about Moby. This guy thought he could still be relavant in todays pop landscape like he was previously. Moby is done.Go "Play"
    in Vegas!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    i just got a promo of the new album "invisible invasion" by The Coral today - produced by geoff and adrian from portishead.

any good?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

please to describe

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    "Everyday" and the "Man With The Movie Camera" DVD are dope as well. The MWTMC film was well ahead of it's time, and I think Cinematic Orchestra did a pretty good job on capturing the feel of the footage. Recommended.

Speaking of the icons of that period, check out DJ Krush' latest, "Jaku" as well, it's dope in a panflute-and-koto-meets-hiphop kinda way.
    I play "Everyday" at work and I always get customers asking who it is when "All That You Give" is playing. That song is fucking beautiful. I really tried to enjoy the DVD but I think I have ADD or something. I'm a huge fan of Krush but the vocalists he chose to work with for this were trash. "Beyond Raging Waves" is fucking awesome and I really like "Song 2." I was kinda disappointed in his last two projects, but there are always a few dope songs that make it worthwhile.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'd probably give it a free listen and be underwhelmed, like I was after the hearing the tracks that came after "Mysteries" and "Tom the Model" on Rustin Man. "Trip-Hop"/Downtempo is so landlocked that it couldn't go too far. But I'm not going to pretend that I didn't love it when it was new. We weren't all gangsta white boys back in 1994 (has it really been that long?).

Although the chorus of "Sour Times" quickly got grating, Dummy was well produced, and, as far as I'm concerned, one of the most original mainstream albums of its year. I mean, who can really front on liking this album when it dropped? I never really got into Massive Attack besides a few tracks and never saw the point of Thievery Corp., but at the time, I could just listen to Dummy over and over. This, Weezer, Blowout Comb, and In Utero were my shit back when I listened to radio rock in my Sophomore/Junior years at Wheaton North High School. And I was let down when the self-titled effort couldn't measure up, even when I knew that it couldn't.

But come on, though: anyone who fronts on "The Danube Incident" is just not on my wavelength.