Ghostface: Fishscale

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
So this joint is officially out.I know a lot of us have already heard bits and pieces.Hate me but I'm really feeling Back Like That featuring Ne-Yo.And like I said the skit that precedes the corporal punishment jawn Whip You With A Strap is very funny to me.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I'm really feeling Back Like That featuring Ne-Yo.

yup - it grew on me after my intial getouttaherewiththatcheese reaction.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm really feeling Back Like That featuring Ne-Yo.

yup - it grew on me after my intial getouttaherewiththatcheese reaction.

That song is hott.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    somewhat related I just got copies of The Champ white label b/w Kilo & Dogs Of War.

NY Heads get at me.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    also feeling the robust Rae presence and the fact that Shawn Wigs only gets a cheezy chorus and no real verses.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    this is good. really good. im surprised doom produced more then a few joints on it... what happened to 'yes we can can' and 'charlie brown'?

ODB's two-bar "verse" was a bit of a disappointment.

good to hear his voice though.

golden arms shoulda been left off that track.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this is good. really good. im surprised doom produced more then a few joints on it... what happened to 'yes we can can' and 'charlie brown'?

You mean Charlie Brown isn't on it??? That was to be my sole purpose for buying this (well, that and assuming the rest of it is good too...)!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    somewhat related I just got copies of The Champ white label b/w Kilo & Dogs Of War.

NY Heads get at me.

NY Heads get at me.

Open to trades for hyphy rap vinyls.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    bought the CD for $6.99 at Best Buy

I'm pretty sure I heard the sound of a mom & pop store going out of business as I forked over the ca$h...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

You mean Charlie Brown isn't on it???

seriously though?!?!?!?!?!?!?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Does the mastering sound f'ed up on a few tracks or is it just my crummy car speakers?

• You mean Charlie Brown isn't on it???

which one was that?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

You mean Charlie Brown isn't on it???

That's what these are for...
    IMG SRC=http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/2for10_1888_74554568>

• bought the CD for $6.99 at Best Buy

I'm pretty sure I heard the sound of a mom & pop store going out of business as I forked over the ca$h...

$8.99 at Amoeba. The list price is under $11.

Sounds great so far.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i paid $10.99 at strawberies with the option to get a 3 dollar mail in rebate. cd's are for the most part 16.99 and over there, when their on sale!!!

as for the music, it's good to get a copy of kilos w/o kay slay yelling over the whole chorus. r.a.g.u , the champ, 9 mili brothers and whip you with a strap are fiyahhhh! underwater has grown on me since the first listen and only ghost could make a song about getting a hair cut sound as dope and hilarious as "barbershop".

it's no supreme clientle but like soulman said they'll never be another supreme clientle, not even ghost could re-create that magic.

peace,xavier

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    it IS better than Pretty Toney though IMO.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

it's no supreme clientle but like soulman said they'll never be another supreme clientle, not even ghost could re-create that magic.

peace,xavier

I have to say: "Fishscale" is certainly the best Ghostface album since SC and while it's too soon to definitely say it's as good (if not...better...) than SC, I'm not at all convinced that SC is some unsurmountable standard that will never be exceeded. That's no disrespect to Soulman or SC but while I think it's a fucking great album, it wasn't as singular an achievement (to me) as, say, "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" which can never be bettered simply because it was a game-changing album. SC did not change the game even if it was a blazing hot album.

To me, Fishscale is pretty fucking great even if it did lose/change a few songs. Just for those keeping score at home:

MIA: Charlie Brown

Altered: Family Affair (now called "Dogs of War")
    The Champ

There might be another one I'm missing.

The more I listen to this album, it's so much more consistent than his last two LPs and there are more than a few amazing songs: "Shakey Dog," "The Champ," "Ragu," "Crack Spot," etc. Even the skits aren't that bad though I wish "the Return of Clyde Smith" had been better than it was.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

That quote is both one of the most insanely stunning things to ever come out of a rapper's mouth...and is just an iamge I never, ever want to have to picture. Oh fuck, I just did. Ew.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts

peace,xavier

I have to say: "Fishscale" is certainly the best Ghostface album since SC and while it's too soon to definitely say it's as good (if not...better...) than SC, I'm not at all convinced that SC is some unsurmountable standard that will never be exceeded. That's no disrespect to Soulman or SC but while I think it's a fucking great album, it wasn't as singular an achievement (to me) as, say, "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" which can never be bettered simply because it was a game-changing album. SC did not change the game even if it was a blazing hot album.

To me, Fishscale is pretty fucking great even if it did lose/change a few songs. Just for those keeping score at home:

MIA: Charlie Brown

Altered: Family Affair (now called "Dogs of War")
    The Champ

There might be another one I'm missing.

The more I listen to this album, it's so much more consistent than his last two LPs and there are more than a few amazing songs: "Shakey Dog," "The Champ," "Ragu," "Crack Spot," etc. Even the skits aren't that bad though I wish "the Return of Clyde Smith" had been better than it was.

cuban linx is on some other shit and supreme clientele is nowhere near it, i agree with you 100 percent there o-dub.

but sc is nearly flawless. it's only sore thumb is "stroke of death" which i beleive ghost did as a joke cause he knew he had so many bangers he could rap over rza lazily/anoyingly "scratching" over a break.

and in all honesty i don't beleive ghost can create another album with sc's consistency.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    No love for Ironman?

No love for Ironman?

I never could get into this album for some reason.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I was really fearing the worst after last year's string of disappointing hyped albums but I've got a feeling that I'm going to have Fishscale on my playlist for a long time. Will have to let the dust settle a bit before comparing it with SC but it's definitely a lot more consistent than Pretty Toney.

Shame about the loss of the fever sample on The Champ though the guitar riff isn't a bad replacement.

I'm really feeling this album but I will not say it surpasses Pretty Toney in my mind YET.

But then, I seem to have a lot more love for Pretty Toney than most of y'all.

(That said, of course, Supreme Clientele is the best Ghost effort and Cuban Linx, well, that's just one of the best albums ever).

• rayray 77 Posts
    The second verse was cut from Barbershop.

I was hoping for a longer version on the final album, but now it's almost just a skit...

No love for Ironman?

Ironman is very, very good. When's the last time you listened to it?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

with the exception of Tush - i love this record.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    No love for Ironman?

Crazy.

I won't say it's his "best" album, but it's still my favorite.

with the exception of Tush - i love this record.

EXACTLY. Tush is the one track I skip every time. The rest of the album? I love it. It doesn't get the respect it deserves on here.