Ghostface: Fishscale

Comments

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    you were probably actually -ified by the album since all the DOOM beats haev already all been released. kinda a lame move for ghost since so many people had been eagerly awaiting the whole overhyped doom&ghost collab... personally, i think the wu haven't had anything with over 3 good tracks on it since FOREVER came out...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    you were probably actually -ified by the album since all the DOOM beats haev already all been released. kinda a lame move for ghost since so many people had been eagerly awaiting the whole overhyped doom&ghost collab...

I think Ghost probably underestimated the degree to which his fanbase and that of MF Doom are the same in 2006, and didn't realize how familiar those tracks would be to a lot of his fans.

• No love for Ironman?

I never could get into this album for some reason.

Ironman is very, very good. When's the last time you listened to it?

I don't doubt it's a great album but there are some albums, that, despite whatever finer qualities they have, just don't appeal to me. Like Brand Nubian's "In God We Trust," or Gangstarr's "Daily Operation." I literally go back, every year, to listen to these albums (Ironman too) to see if my feelings have changed towards them but for whatever reason, that chemistry isn't there.

I'd never say that "Ironman" was wack since I know that my not thinking it's the best thing ever has very little to do with the album and has more to do with me. My ranking of my favorite Ghost albums would be:

Supreme Clientele
    Pretty Toney
    Fishscale (though this is too early to be in a firm position)
    Bulletproof Wallets
    Ironman

This is just like picking Gangstarr albums. I thought Bulletproof was his worse, and even that had bangers like "The Juks", "The Sun", etc. I also think Ironman should be bumped up some notches (The horns of "260" are blaring as I type this), but like Puff Daddy says, "That's neither here nor there".

No doubt it's too early to rank "Fishscale", but I'm feeling major rotation on this one ala last year's "Thug Motivation". Also, ODub peaked my interest on "Bullet Proof" to check it out as a book, instead of the piecemeal listening I did over the years. I'ma cop that along with the $6.99 Fishscale.

Respect to Starks for another Wu-Banger.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    No love for Ironman?

I never could get into this album for some reason.

Ironman is very, very good. When's the last time you listened to it?

I don't doubt it's a great album but there are some albums, that, despite whatever finer qualities they have, just don't appeal to me. Like Brand Nubian's "In God We Trust," or Gangstarr's "Daily Operation." I literally go back, every year, to listen to these albums (Ironman too) to see if my feelings have changed towards them but for whatever reason, that chemistry isn't there.

I'd never say that "Ironman" was wack since I know that my not thinking it's the best thing ever has very little to do with the album and has more to do with me. My ranking of my favorite Ghost albums would be:

Supreme Clientele
    Pretty Toney
    Fishscale (though this is too early to be in a firm position)
    Bulletproof Wallets
    Ironman

Please listen to "Camay" this weekend from Ironman, just the lyrics.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ahh, perhaps if bulletproof wallets had been released as an accapella album it would have been better. The beats on that thing (save for one wich was funky as shit) were a snooze fest.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Fishscale is not that dope... and I would hardly put it up there with any of his previous releases, a few burners on it, but besides that it's whatever.

and sorry ghost for being ghost does not get a pass.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    album is awesome. bought it today and love it

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Bulletproof Wallets
    Ironman

!!!

yeah like what?!!?

I bought Ironman the day it came out and damn if it didn't leave my deck for 3 weeks.

you smokey man?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Bulletproof Wallets
    Ironman

!!!

yeah like what?!!?

I bought Ironman the day it came out and damn if it didn't leave my deck for 3 weeks.

you smokey man?

Let me repeat: said list is not a reflection of the inherent QUALITY of the album. For reasons that defy easy explanation, I just never got that into "Ironman" compared to Ghost's later albums. If you were to ask me which are Ghost's BEST albums, than "Ironman" would probably be #2 in my book. I can respect an album without wanting to put that shit on constant rotation.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm almost starting to feel bad for you

Ha, I'm kicking it with Hsulu right now and he's so incredulous at my ranking that he just went and is playing "Ironman" AS WE SPEAK.

• I bought Ironman the day it came out and damn if it didn't leave my deck for 3 weeks.

yup, looking back I'd have to say that's probably one of the last rap albums I listened to repeatedly. Wasn't mad at the gatefold cover neither!

• Bulletproof Wallets
    Ironman

!!!

yeah like what?!!?

you smokey man?

Jesus I love Ironman. Supreme Clientele is great too, but Ironman changed my fucking stoned teenage brain. I still have vivid memories triggered when I listen to it. Good shit. Oh and the Hilton is my favorite song on Bulletproof Wallets. The first song on the Theodore Unit album is really good too. If Shawn Wigs didn't exist that album would be so much better.

Just b/c it's late and I'm rocking out to Ghost old and new right now:

Ironman

vs.

Liquid Swords

vs.

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Discuss.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Only Built 4 Cuban Linx > Liquid Swords > Ironman

• rcbreaksrcbreaks 28 Posts

only built 4 cuban linx > Ironman > Liquid Swords

Mercury raps is roughed then God just shown like taps
    Red and white Wally's that match, bend my baseball hat
    Doin forever shit, like pissin out the window on turnpikes
    Robbin niggaz for leathers, high swipin on dirt bikes
    Voice be metal like Von Harper radio bubble
    Murder sleep away camp, the fly lady champ
    The arsonist, who burn with his pen regardless
    Slaying all these earthlings and fake foreigners
    In the Phillipines, pick herbal beans, bubbling strings
    Body chemical CREAM, we burn kerosene
    The conviction of my tape is rape, wicked like Nixon
    Long-heads inscriptions with three sixes in
    Kiss the pyramid experiment with high explosive
    I slapbox with Jesus, lick shots at Joseph
    Zoomin like binoculars, the rap blacksmith
    Money's Rolex, with sparkles, Chef ragtop is spotless
    I'm Iron Man no cheap cash metal I'm steel alloy
    True identity hidden inside secret tabloids
    Breathe oxygen both sides of my jaw carry oxes
    The track hit like the bangers, in hundred watt boxes
    Yo jostling these cats while Little J be deli-ing
    Sip Irish Moss out of Widelians

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• i think it is safe to say that bulletproof wallets would be viewed in a completely different light if it were released with all the stuff that was supposed to be on it. without "the watch" and "the sun", that album definately wasn't anything worth listening to too often.

IMHO pretty toney is ghosface's best record. i love it because it DOESN'T sound like supreme clientele. what makes pretty toney so great is that it DOESN'T follow any rules that people have for ghost or other wu shit. why do people expect an artist to keep doing the exact same shit and recreate previous masterpieces? that shit doesn't work.

fishscale, by the way, is a solid release. i am very impressed with how they salvaged "the champ" with the live instruments.

even though many of his great tracks don't make release, we still get ahold of em. ghostface has one of the finest "unreleased" song catalogs from any artist out there. to me, this only adds to his appeal.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

EXACTLY.

But just so we disagree on something, Lubavitchers can't drive.

• Just b/c it's late and I'm rocking out to Ghost old and new right now:

Ironman

vs.

Liquid Swords

vs.

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Discuss.

How about:

Supreme Clientele

vs.

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

• Only Built 4 Cuban Linx > Liquid Swords > Ironman

I listen to Cuban Linx more than any Wu-Tang release, including the full group efforts.

If you really want something to get up in arms about, my favorite Nas verse EVAR is the one he drops on "Verbal Intercourse". 'From the womb to the tomb, presume the unpredictable.'

• If you really want something to get up in arms about, my favorite Nas verse EVAR is the one he drops on "Verbal Intercourse". 'From the womb to the tomb, presume the unpredictable.'

How about the way he opens it?
    "Through the lights, cameras, and action glamour glitters and gold
    I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe"

• If you really want something to get up in arms about, my favorite Nas verse EVAR is the one he drops on "Verbal Intercourse". 'From the womb to the tomb, presume the unpredictable.'

How about the way he opens it?
    "Through the lights, cameras, and action glamour glitters and gold
    I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe"

Yeah, the whole verse is just . "Props is a true thugs wife."

Well, looks like I know what I'm listening to when I get home...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fishscale is a classic, IMO.

Too early, thun.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I listen to Cuban Linx more than any Wu-Tang release, including the full group efforts.

If you really want something to get up in arms about, my favorite Nas verse EVAR is the one he drops on "Verbal Intercourse". 'From the womb to the tomb, presume the unpredictable.'

That's a pretty common opinion--I don't think anybody's going to get up in arms about it.

That's a pretty common opinion--I don't think anybody's going to get up in arms about it.

What I was bugged out about, in reading XXL's "Making of Cuban Linx" story from a few years back, was how Nas was trying out different rhymes for the song and kind of kicked that verse out ofh is rhyme book randomly and Ghost and Rae was like, "oh shit - do that one, do that one!" I've heard a variation of the same verse on an older demo cut by Nas. bugged.

Too early, thun.

What does that mean?

Cant you tell when shit iz good? Plus, It's just a MindGarden opinion.

I could care less what magazines deem as classics.

Batmon,

This goes back to a thread from the other month but seriously - the album came out three days ago. Annointing it a "classic" just feels premature. And mind you: I REALLY like this album. But I also really liked "Pretty Toney" and then, a month later, I wasn't listening to it any more and I probably haven't listened to it since then. I never thought PT was a classic of course, but I'm just wary of slapping down that label without the passage of time to allow some reflection on it.

Too early, thun.

What does that mean?

Cant you tell when shit iz good? Plus, It's just a MindGarden opinion.

I could care less what magazines deem as classics.

Batmon,

This goes back to a thread from the other month but seriously - the album came out three days ago. Annointing it a "classic" just feels premature. And mind you: I REALLY like this album. But I also really liked "Pretty Toney" and then, a month later, I wasn't listening to it any more and I probably haven't listened to it since then. I never thought PT was a classic of course, but I'm just wary of slapping down that label without the passage of time to allow some reflection on it.

I agree w/ the rush factor, but sometimes albums drop and u just know.

It didnt take a season or a year to know Supreme Clientele was that shit.