AKAI MPD16

PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Hi there,I watched that video on youtube.com of that dude getting dumb on an mpc Linkyand I thought hmm I'd like one. I know that nothing really beats the mpc 2000xl but I wouldn't really like to fork out ??500+++ as I may not use it that much and be able to get the best out of it. What do you guys think of the baby mpd16 is it weak or actually alright for your money, it's only around ??150 new.Views would be much appreciated.Thanks!

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I used to have the MPD 16 and I'm sorry to report that it's garbage. Other people on here can probably cosign for that, because I know it's come up on here before. If you're really trying to do it, just go all out for the real thing.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    the mpd16 doesnt have a sequencer, sampler, or anything other than pads and a midi connect right?

Looks like garbage. I have a 2000xl, but would love to get a 4000. You could probably find a 2000 pretty cheaply though.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    uggh. I hate this question. It seems like I'm the only one here that will stick up for the thing.

It's not an mpc. The pads do not feel like mpc pads. They are much thinner. The velocity curve on them sucks and unless your soft sampler lets you set the curve, you are always going to be recording at full level. When I want the velocities perfect I use my keyboard. If you are buying it for the feel of the mpc pads you will be dissapointed. If you are buying for the idea of using a computer like an mpc and for the best layout for triggering samples/drums I think you will be as happy as I am. I don't know how I would make music without it.

I bought mine almost 5 years ago before the m-audio trigger finger came out. You might want to look into that. I've never seen one in person but from the pics the pads look spongier and there are a couple more sliders, which I'm sure will come in handy. How can you front when turntablelab blesses us with a review like this?

We recently overheard Marley Marl saying he was going to buy a Trigger Finger to run Reason. If that's not a strong endorsement for improving your drums, we don't know what is.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    every person i know who has used both has given trigger finger a better review. i have trigger finger and it does its job but i got a new mpc so i dont really use it as much. check this shit out though: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KPC1&category_id=8

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    every person i know who has used both has given trigger finger a better review. i have trigger finger and it does its job but i got a new mpc so i dont really use it as much. check this shit out though: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KPC1&category_id=8

I guess I'll have to buy your trigger finger then.

yeah?

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Yea, the pads on the mpd are not of the same quality as the mp series.
    Go TF just like dudes said.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    what about these?

• what about these?

They actually just released a new version of this that has a few slightly nicer features but I don't like the design quite as much. I think it's called the korgKontrol49 or something like that. Anyway, I have the one pictured above and it's treated me pretty well, although I admit that I haven't spent enough time to really use it to it's full potential. My only complaint about the pads is that the velocity sensitivity is only so-so and the pads are a little bit too small. However, they still work pretty well overall and given that I got the thing for $200 I can't complain at all. It's a nice all around midi controller.