go home and make love!

2»

Comments

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    "At The Hotel" by Eunice Collins always seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Slow jams at the end of the night is probably my fav part.

i wish people our age would slow dance more - i would love to do an all slow-jams night, but i don't trust that folks would let loose.

U'd have to pull this off at a lounge. I've had this idea for years but 21yr olds aint tryin' to hear Freddie Jackson @ midnight. Even grown n sexy cats want some speed. Maybe, Wed night at a jazz club where cats are already settled and drinkin' some cognac out of a snifter without coke or ice. This would probably be my dream gig. And I wouldny feel relegated to play just R&b either.

you, sir, are classier than i. i'm thinking some small neighbourhood bar or basement party with folks from 20 to 65 getting it on on the dancefloor (but nothing too raw - there'd be grandparents in the room). but yea, not just rnb - jazz standards, lovers rock and reggae ballads too.

The neighborhood bar does sound more comfy. I was thinkin' LES, where I used to gig. I find/found once you play reggae or r&b w some hard beat, kids start gettin' antsy. "u got biggie"...... the audience has to be told before hand that its gonna be all slow/mid tempo.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

i wish people our age would slow dance more - i would love to do an all slow-jams night, but i don't trust that folks would let loose.

U'd have to pull this off at a lounge. I've had this idea for years but 21yr olds aint tryin' to hear Freddie Jackson @ midnight. Even grown n sexy cats want some speed. Maybe, Wed night at a jazz club where cats are already settled and drinkin' some cognac out of a snifter without coke or ice. This would probably be my dream gig. And I wouldny feel relegated to play just R&b either.

you, sir, are classier than i. i'm thinking some small neighbourhood bar or basement party with folks from 20 to 65 getting it on on the dancefloor (but nothing too raw - there'd be grandparents in the room). but yea, not just rnb - jazz standards, lovers rock and reggae ballads too.

Kids today...

Love Jams use to kick ass... I remember back in the day (Concert Hall pure sweetness). Mostly young people gettin' their groove on. I don't know why people aren't up on it anymore. I think it has to do with dudes would rather Rep and not look soft or guys getting denied by chicks dancing together has become hip.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I feel you miss bassie. I've found that people start feeling the slow stuff after a really intense set. Obviously though it works better on a more 'hip' corwd. I remeber this funk themed loft party i was spinning. People were dancing their ass off to really hightempo stuff from like 11:20-1:30. Then i was ending with some moder and disco and then switched up into the smooth vibes/grown n sexay it worked to a charm people were (like you descrbed) moving aimlessly, hovering on the floor in a trancelike slowdance. It was a mix of getting some rest from the dancing but really feeling the music. Great night..however it was a case of dj curse for me as all the ladies were dancing and i coulnt join in.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Minnie Ripperton -- Every Time he Comes Around

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I feel you miss bassie. I've found that people start feeling the slow stuff after a really intense set. Obviously though it works better on a more 'hip' corwd. I remeber this funk themed loft party i was spinning. People were dancing their ass off to really hightempo stuff from like 11:20-1:30. Then i was ending with some moder and disco and then switched up into the smooth vibes/grown n sexay it worked to a charm people were (like you descrbed) moving aimlessly, hovering on the floor in a trancelike slowdance. It was a mix of getting some rest from the dancing but really feeling the music. Great night..however it was a case of dj curse for me as all the ladies were dancing and i coulnt join in.
    next time put on I Want You, let it play the whole side, dance with a different girl for every song, flip the thing when it runs out and then repeat.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    At Ali Shaheed Muhammad's weekly last night he played "You'll never find" by Lou Rawls, followed by "I'll be around" by the Spinners,(I think I got both of these titles wrong) at like 12:30 and the place went bonkers.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    At Ali Shaheed Muhammad's weekly last night he played "You'll never find" by Lou Rawls, followed by "I'll be around" by the Spinners,(I think I got both of these titles wrong) at like 12:30 and the place went bonkers.

I fucking love 'ill be around'

bring on the cheese....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

bring on the cheese....

Oh, man, that ain't cheese! "I'll be Around" is gold standard 70s Soul, on par with "Ain't No Woman" by the Four Tops.

People who don't go crazy over these songs need to stay home.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

those tracks were made for each other.

• I've dropped Roger "I Wanna Be Your Man" at the end of the night to great effect.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

bring on the cheese....

Oh, man, that ain't cheese! "I'll be Around" is gold standard 70s Soul, on par with "Ain't No Woman" by the Four Tops.

People who don't go crazy over these songs need to stay home.

OK, when he played that Lou Rawls shit, he was cutting out the fader for like more than half the song and people were singing every word. The grown folks were singing and the younger dudes who wanted to be dancing to chris brown and neyo were just looking at them like, "what is this shit, I wish I knew the words to this shit."

Oh man, I was pretty faded and I almost cried for real it was some serious shit.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    "At The Hotel" by Eunice Collins always seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

Jesus, what a tune. I don't think I could put into words how much I love the vocals.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

Teddy Pendergrass - Come Go With Me

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm gonna go with "After the Dance" by Marvin G as the ultimate
    "send 'em home good n ready" track, and maybe "Let's Straighten It Out"
    by Latimore, as they head for the doors - lyrically not a perfect fit,
    but one of my top slow jams evar...

Also, co-sign on "I'll Be Around" - that would have been a good one
    for me to put in the "songs you never get tired of" thread the other day -
    those opening chords still give me chills every time, even now, just thinking
    about them ... "This ... is our bump in the road ..."

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'm reaching for that Sexual healing remix that was posted here awhile ago at my next gig, I'm telling ya...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Michael Jackson - Can't Help It

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Raelettes - I Want To
    Pointer Sisters - Don't It Drive You Crazy
    Curtis - The Makings of You

• Pointer Sisters - Don't It Drive You Crazy

Perfect one, Missb!

may i suggest:

* almost any version of "give me your love"?

• the_jthe_j 49 Posts
    'Love Song' Lani Hall / Laura Yager
    'The Seed' Roots