The week in sports

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Candace Parker is SICK ! homegirl dunked, baseline,one-handed,off the dribble,contested. Devean Geroge cant even do that.....this Barry Bonds shit is pissin' me off.......they NEVER fuckin questioned McGwire or Clemens or Kevin Brown and it's well-known they did it tooIsaih Thomas is an idiotKobe's not getting any foul calls these days....James Toney was robbed !Big Chan's final four picks are hilarious !U.S.A baseball got put on blast this week ...everyone around the world knows the best ball is being played in Cuba & Japan ...players that dont want to or can't play in the U.S. ...we looked pitiful out thereT.O is dancing on the star......if him & Parcells can co-exist they will be a great team ....just need one more playerand the Eagles..... The Dolphins....Culpepper .....LJ Shelton .....Lavar Arrington Detroit is starting to look bored....Miami is coming

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    oh yeah.....Go Bruins !!

and i'm tired on Roy Williams crying...the fuck is his problem? ..pressure already?

and also .....The Boys basketball team i coach played for the city championship on saturday ...THATS RIGHT BITCHES !......

we lost by 5

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not sure if I'm on board with the Drew Brees experiment. I think I would have gone with Matt Leinart, although now the Saints can grab D'Brickasahw Ferguson or AJ Hawk in the draft. I sure wouldn't mind either of them.

I'm left wondering what is to become of Aaron Brooks though.

As for the Runnin' Horns...so far so decent. AJ Abrams came up big against NC State. Now if Lemarcus Aldridge could just keep up his offensive tenacity, we might be in good shape.

Nice to see LSU hanging around as well.

• this Barry Bonds shit is pissin' me off.......they NEVER fuckin questioned McGwire or Clemens or Kevin Brown and it's well-known they did it too

I'm surprised this story never came up here, but I'll weigh in. I think they shoud do a thorough investigation of the entire era, and wipe out the records of anyone found guilty (and, before you say, "steroids weren't illegal," under the constitution of baseball, the commisioner can say that anything that hurts the integrity of the game can result in a ban...not to mention, Faye Vincent said steroids were illegal in baseball in 1991. It is a bullshit technicality that keeps coming up.)

But, you have to understand that at this poing Bonds is the biggest target in the game. Going for the most hallowed record in baseball, and with the most and most damning evidence against him. And before you say, "well, he never admitted anything," well, neither did Pete Rose, and most people judged him long before he released his book in 2004.

Finally, I agree that McGwire is seen as a done deal (Best. Testimony. EVAR.) But K. Brown and Clemens are a little murkier, esp. Clemens. I'd need a more thorough investigation of them before judging.

• Man, I want the one hour back that I spent watching Rahman/Toney. Lame. Surely you jest, EP. "Draw" was the best possible outcome one could ascribe to that "boxing match".

Did you go to TO's website and listen to the rap TO made about being a Cowboy now? Hilarious.

Get ready for my Tigers to shock the world on Thursday. Dukies goin' down.

Mavs need to get healthy or suck it up or get left in SA's dust. Houston will be good fodder tonite to get back on track.

Eff the Dolphins. They didn't wanna pony up for Brees and got stuck w/ Mepepper, and as a Saints fan, I thank them. Still, they gon' be good, cos Saban is getting close to coaching godhead status.

• Not sure if I'm on board with the Drew Brees experiment. I think I would have gone with Matt Leinart, although now the Saints can grab D'Brickasahw Ferguson or AJ Hawk in the draft. I sure wouldn't mind either of them.

It's a roll of the dice for sure. I like it though. It gives the Saints ultimate draft day flexibility, and they have a commodity in the #2 pick. They should trade down, as they currently hold only two first-day picks (#2 and #34). The Saints have signed two LBs already, so I'm cooling on Hawk, who will probably play WLB in the pros, not middle. D'Brick would be nice, but you can get Tackles. I've settled on Haloti Ngata, the massive DT from Oregon as my wish for the Saints first round. The middle of the Saints D-line has been puddin' for a minute now. He'd shore that up.

Who cares what happens to AB? So through w/ that cat. It looks possible he could go to DA RAIDASSSSSSSS. AB could make some of the most amazing throws you've ever seen a QB make on one play and then come back the next play and throw a fifteen yard behind the LOS pass to his Left Tackle.

• Candace Parker is SICK ! homegirl dunked, baseline,one-handed,off the dribble,contested. Devean Geroge cant even do that.....

this Barry Bonds shit is pissin' me off.......they NEVER fuckin questioned McGwire or Clemens or Kevin Brown and it's well-known they did it too

Isaih Thomas is an idiot

Kobe's not getting any foul calls these days....

James Toney was robbed !

Big Chan's final four picks are hilarious !

U.S.A baseball got put on blast this week ...everyone around the world knows the best ball is being played in Cuba & Japan ...players that dont want to or can't play in the U.S. ...we looked pitiful out there

T.O is dancing on the star......if him & Parcells can co-exist they will be a great team ....just need one more player

and the Eagles.....

The Dolphins....Culpepper .....LJ Shelton .....Lavar Arrington

Detroit is starting to look bored....Miami is coming

I hope Arrington goes to Miami or Jacksonville as opposed to the Giants. I haven't heard anything definite. He would be sick with either of those teams.
    The Eagles signing Jabar Gaffney was tepid at best. They haven't really done anything serious that I can think of. Maybe they're waiting for the draft.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Candace Parker is SICK ! homegirl dunked, baseline,one-handed,off the dribble,contested. Devean Geroge cant even do that.....

this Barry Bonds shit is pissin' me off.......they NEVER fuckin questioned McGwire or Clemens or Kevin Brown and it's well-known they did it too

Isaih Thomas is an idiot

Kobe's not getting any foul calls these days....

James Toney was robbed !

Big Chan's final four picks are hilarious !

U.S.A baseball got put on blast this week ...everyone around the world knows the best ball is being played in Cuba & Japan ...players that dont want to or can't play in the U.S. ...we looked pitiful out there

T.O is dancing on the star......if him & Parcells can co-exist they will be a great team ....just need one more player

and the Eagles.....

The Dolphins....Culpepper .....LJ Shelton .....Lavar Arrington

Detroit is starting to look bored....Miami is coming

Candace is the shit today...but WATCH out....Brooklyn Pope of Fort Worth Dunbar is comin... she's been dunking since the 8th grade !!!!!!!! Best High School player in the country.....yep...better than Epiphany!!

If Bonds breaks Aaron's record there better damn well have an asterisk next to it in the books.

Isaih and Kobe are pretty irrellevent at this point of the season

James Toney should have knocked Rahman's ass out early so he could get back in line at the Buffet!!

I wanna see those International Teams play 162 games with a 5 man rotation

T.O. will get on his knees and kiss the Star after his first touchdown in Texas...bank on that.

If the Dallas Mav's are at full strength they will take the crown this year.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Big Chan's final four picks are hilarious

I told ya'll I was actin' a fool when I put those brackets together! Gonzaga might really win it all hommie.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Who cares what happens to AB? So through w/ that cat. It looks possible he could go to DA RAIDASSSSSSSS. AB could make some of the most amazing throws you've ever seen a QB make on one play and then come back the next play and throw a fifteen yard behind the LOS pass to his Left Tackle.

I've stuck with AB through it all. Yes, he always makes at least one idiotic play per game. But he was basically the fall guy for an organization screwed up far beyond what a single QB could ever do.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dude, get in line to slam Chan picks. The huskies suck balls. But he's right, Gonzaga has all the pieces.

AS for Bonds, the was no steroid policy, stop the witch hunt. It's the ultimate in hypocrisy that these dudes who looked the other way for the sake of higher revenues in 90s will now comeback and jack Bonds (or others). I'm the last guy to defend Bonds as human but this is bullshit. Plus, I guarantee nothing is going to happen here. Way too complicated legally. Never heard that Clemens used, any proof?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I still think the funniest part of the whole Bonds saga is all the hardcore Giants fans around SF living in denial. "He wasn't using anything--he was just lifting weights!" Uh-huh. Because weightlifting absolutely does make your head expand like a fucking balloon.

• AS for Bonds, the was no steroid policy, stop the witch hunt. It's the ultimate in hypocrisy that these dudes who looked the other way for the sake of higher revenues in 90s will now comeback and jack Bonds (or others). I'm the last guy to defend Bonds as human but this is bullshit. Plus, I guarantee nothing is going to happen here. Way too complicated legally. Never heard that Clemens used, any proof?

Yeah, but it ceases to be a witch hunt when there is a mountain of evidence. Now, there is cause for an investigation- reams of documents detailing what illegal substances he took, when he took them, and what other substances he took to avoid getting caught. That is no longer some McCarthy shit- that is cause for investigation and punishment. And, if evidence exists for a crime, should we not investigate it for fear of starting a witch hunt? NO! It is the duty of police, prosecutors, investigative reporters, and others to find out if there is evidence of wrong doing, and bring that to light. That is an investigation, not a witch hung.

Also, below are two links to baseball memos from 1991 that pronounce steroids an illegal substance. There is no punishment tied to their use, but to say there was no steroids policy is not true. (these are all over the net as PDFs, but ESPN edited out the like 50 other pages of non-steroid related material.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/format/memos20051109?memo=1991&num=2
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/format/memos20051109?memo=1991&num=1

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm only down for this Bonds shit if a lot of other folks are brought to light. To focus on one man, when juicing is pretty rampant, IS the definition of a witch-hunt. And for MLB to act as if they didn't know this shit was going on, I mean come the fuck on. Watch these players start singing like early christmas carollers if they expand the scope of any such investigation.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Dude, get in line to slam Chan picks. The huskies suck balls. But he's right, Gonzaga has all the pieces.

Damn foolio! You just hate the Huskies cause you live in Oregon! Where is an Oregon team in the tournament?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I still think the funniest part of the whole Bonds saga is all the hardcore Giants fans around SF living in denial. "He wasn't using anything--he was just lifting weights!" Uh-huh. Because weightlifting absolutely does make your head expand like a fucking balloon.

Sure his head is huge dat's because he lifts weights wit his head. You should try it except you won't because you are a flabby man.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Candace Parker is SICK ! homegirl dunked, baseline,one-handed,off the dribble,contested.

she is 6' 4" and it is much easier to dunk one-handed with a girl's ball.

i have never been able to watch women's basketball. not only are they lacking in athleticism, but for whatever reason, and unlike sports like tennis, swimming and golf, the skills just aren't there either. i'd rather watch two middle school boys teams play than a wnba game.

• I'm only down for this Bonds shit if a lot of other folks are brought to light. To focus on one man, when juicing is pretty rampant, IS the definition of a witch-hunt. And for MLB to act as if they didn't know this shit was going on, I mean come the fuck on. Watch these players start singing like early christmas carollers if they expand the scope of any such investigation.

I agree that any investigation that is done should focus on the ENTIRE sport, and not just Bonds. But, for whatever reason (that he is an asshole, that the media hates him, that he is a black man threatening the most hallowed white man in sports) there were people looking in to his past. And, they found a whole lot of incriminating evidence. And that is HIS fault- he used it, and now he has to deal with that. Also, those were local, baseball and beat reporters- these sorts of investigations are their job. If baseball won't do it, why shouldn't they.

Similarly, though, Palmiero, McGwire, Brady Anderson, Sosa, both Giambis, Sheffield maybe K. Brown, should be investigated. The whole era should have an asterisk.

I grew up near Cincy, a Reds fan...and I heard way too much about how Pete Rose had to be banned to preserve the 'integrity of the game'. Fine. I agree. But, if you want a game with integrity, you can't pick and choose. It takes work and the tough decisions to ban the all time hits leader, as well as the man who may become the HR leader. But, that should be a no brainer in the long haul.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Candace Parker is SICK ! homegirl dunked, baseline,one-handed,off the dribble,contested.

i have never been able to watch women's basketball. not only are they lacking in athleticism, but for whatever reason, and unlike sports like tennis, swimming and golf, the skills just aren't there either. i'd rather watch two middle school boys teams play than a wnba game.

Dude, you need to be quiet and work on your perimeter defense. .

• mallardmallard 452 Posts

i'm kinda torn on this. im not the biggest women's bball fan, by any means. i watched a couple wnba games in it's inaugural season to hold me over, but it didn't really do the trick. but at the same time, you can't hate on homegirl for dunking and it's definitely not a good reason to launch into an anti-women bball diatribe.

I'm only down for this Bonds shit if a lot of other folks are brought to light. To focus on one man, when juicing is pretty rampant, IS the definition of a witch-hunt. And for MLB to act as if they didn't know this shit was going on, I mean come the fuck on. Watch these players start singing like early christmas carollers if they expand the scope of any such investigation.

Ummmm... Rafael Palmiero was effectively kicked out of MLB.....lots of folks had to testify(but not Bonds...what's up with that??)....players have been suspended in both the majors and minors.....don't give me this "They're picking on Barry crap".......just not true.

Man, I want the one hour back that I spent watching Rahman/Toney. Lame. Surely you jest, EP. "Draw" was the best possible outcome one could ascribe to that "boxing match".

although Rahman was the more aggressive fighter alot of his punches were blocked...Toney's punches were more clean ....

Ummmm... Rafael Palmiero was effectively kicked out of MLB.....lots of folks had to testify(but not Bonds...what's up with that??)....players have been suspended in both the majors and minors.....don't give me this "They're picking on Barry crap".......just not true.

I don't see them talking about taking away any of those players' achievements.

• I'm only down for this Bonds shit if a lot of other folks are brought to light. To focus on one man, when juicing is pretty rampant, IS the definition of a witch-hunt. And for MLB to act as if they didn't know this shit was going on, I mean come the fuck on. Watch these players start singing like early christmas carollers if they expand the scope of any such investigation.

Baseball, as in MLB, has been pretty mum on the whole subject, BBonds included. There is only talk of an investigation at this point. Things like asterisks are waaaaay down the road.

the only person in that organization with balls is the head coach...they dont have the mental toughness to get out the second round of the playoffs

The most outspoken person I've heard about Bonds acheivement's being bogus due to roids is Hank Aaron himself....and I'm down with whatever O Henry has to say on the matter.

the only person in that organization with balls is the head coach...they dont have the mental toughness to get out the second round of the playoffs

This reminds me of a guy that called the local radio sports show here and went on a 5 minute rampage about how "foriegn" players didn't have the toughness to win it all in the NBA......after the host let him rave through his whole theory, trashing Dirk Nowitzki, he said ..."San Antonio seems to be pretty good and their THREE BEST PLAYERS ARE FORIEGN!!!!!!!!!!"

Never heard that Clemens used, any proof?

when the talk about Kevin Brown started (which was years ago,before all this Bonds mess) Clemens' name was out there a few times,but with no proof...he hasn't been injury prone like the obvious users ..so maybe he's clean

• Never heard that Clemens used, any proof?

when the talk about Kevin Brown started (which was years ago,before all this Bonds mess) Clemens' name was out there a few times,but with no proof...he hasn't been injury prone like the obvious users ..so maybe he's clean

His dominance in his early 40s aroused some suspicions. but, he has been known his whole career for his workout regimine, and he did switch to the NL Central and stopped travelling with the team. I mean, that could seriously inflate your stats as a pitcher coming from the AL East.

The most outspoken person I've heard about Bonds acheivement's being bogus due to roids is Hank Aaron himself....and I'm down with whatever O Henry has to say on the matter.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Of course Hank Aaron is outspoken... alls I'm saying is, if they're gonna do that to Bonds there better be some other players getting asterisk'd...

10 Darrell Armstrong G ..hasn't won a big game in his life

25 Erick Dampier C ........soft

6 Marquis Daniels G ...... young

7 DeSagana Diop C .......soft

44 Adrian Griffin G-F .....please

34 Devin Harris G .......young

5 Josh Howard F 6-7 .....young

28 Didier Ilunga-Mbenga C .....who?

1 Rawle Marshall G-F .....rookie

41 Dirk Nowitzki - C F ......soft

33 Josh Powell F ....rookie

42 Jerry Stackhouse G-F .......cry baby

31 Jason Terry G .......Has he ever been in the playoffs ? because he has to face Sam Casell in the first round ....and Sam is ready

2 Keith Van Horn F ..... soft

These are your champions ??[/b]