dare I say ... WEEKEND FINDS???

124»

Comments

• Not nearly as good as the Willie Mitchell-produced Denise LaSalle LP, though, which can be had much more readily and cheaply.

which denie LaSalle? Is it one of the ones on Westbound?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Not nearly as good as the Willie Mitchell-produced Denise LaSalle LP, though, which can be had much more readily and cheaply.

Yeah--first one. Second one features members of the Hi house band on some cuts, but it's just not the same.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Not nearly as good as the Willie Mitchell-produced Denise LaSalle LP, though, which can be had much more readily and cheaply.

Interesting - I've had a grip of her Westbound 45's for years, and recognize
    their dopeness, but never noticed (or forgot) that Willie Mitchell had produced
    them. I wonder if there are any tracks on the "Trapped.." LP that aren't on 45,
    seeing as how I have about 10 tracks by her on Westbound 7" all 1974 or earlier...
    Certainly that material beats the Johnny Robinson, as does his work with Otis Clay,
    Syl Johnson & O.V. Wright, IMO - but being at the bottom of that totem pole, it still
    stands above alot of other soul LP's of the time...Willie's touch is just that good...

Certainly that material beats the Johnny Robinson, as does his work with Otis Clay,
    Syl Johnson & O.V. Wright, IMO - but being at the bottom of that totem pole, it still
    stands above alot of other soul LP's of the time...Willie's touch is just that good...

No doubt--I just mentioned that particular LP because it seemed like we were talking about albums that Mitchell had done outside of the Hi fold and I can only think of a handful: Johnny Robinson, Denise LaSalle, that Jimmy McCracklin LP on Stax, O.V. Wright's Memphis Unlimited and, later on, Kenny Doss.

• Not nearly as good as the Willie Mitchell-produced Denise LaSalle LP, though, which can be had much more readily and cheaply.

Yeah--first one. Second one features members of the Hi house band on some cuts, but it's just not the same.

I'll be rechecking that when I get home. Been really feeling the Female soul as of late

Here are some weekend pickups courtesy of Soulstrut folks and trading

this one was supposed to be Joann Garrett "Just a Taste" (Cadet)

I'll be rechecking that when I get home. Been really feeling the Female soul as of late

You should check Kenny Doss, too: williemitchellmodernsoulraer

• You should check Kenny Doss, too: williemitchellmodernsoulraer

Got a couple copies of the movin on a feelin' LP. Might as well of called it Al Green: The secular second coming

Is that on Waylo? I copped a couple of 45's on there based on his
    involvement, but the ones I heard were pretty tepid.

• You should check Kenny Doss, too: williemitchellmodernsoulraer

this one is on Bearsville.

The Waylo stuff I got with W.Mitchell seems to be pretty wack, although I've yet to hear the Ann Peebles LP

No, Bearsville--it's not that great. I was just pushing it on Guzzo because of the late date.

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    After many dry weeks I came up with some nice records in the weekend:

The O'Jays - Super Bad (didn't know it was this good)
    Mother Night - ST (unknown to me, exactly the kind of funk I like)
    The Last Poets - ST
    Richie Havens - Something else again
    Fairouz - Soiree avec Fairouz (with some suprisingly jazzy tunes)
    Tamba 4 - Samba Blim
    Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill (finally an unskated copy)
    The Can - Monster Movie

Plus I found a library record from Sri lanka, which is kind of an exciting fact in itself and it has one cover of an Ananda Shankar tune on it (from Missing You). It says Music for films... Nice!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Ohio reefer rock raer

not a paste on sleeve, so not OG prolly, but from what I have read, there really isnt an OG of this...but pedigree aside, a killer rock record!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Ohio reefer rock raer

not a paste on sleeve, so not OG prolly, but from what I have read, there really isnt an OG of this...but pedigree aside, a killer rock record!

There is an OG and it does NOT have a paste-on.....post a pic of the label and I'll let you know if it's real.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts

picked this one up today. Moscow Youth Jazz Ensambles its on Melodiya USSR Records Firm.

Got this one on sunday at the record show for 4 bucks

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Hey SoulonIce, did you get that PM I sent you the other day?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    found some dude on ebay selling some great highlife lps. I started looking through his stuff right before the frenzy started and people were dropping some crazy money. I was able to pull only one before all my others were outbid. Looks tasty though
    Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Hey SoulonIce, did you get that PM I sent you the other day?

Yeah, sorry I forgot all about it - PM sent.