dare I say ... WEEKEND FINDS???

Comments

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Heres a few of my finds from today...

Finally found another copy of get loose crew so I can listen to it my other is sealed.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I've actually had a rough time at Laney. I think I get there too late sometimes. As opposed to Ashby where it actually helps to go a little later. I know a couple guys who pull stuff at Laney from time to time. Really though, the Coliseum is what's up. You used to live in the bay, 3x2?

i was out there for 3-4 months at one point in the last few years. getting by on not a lot. ashby was the staple, but id hit laney real early on my bike and roll through that shit quick over and over. found many good things. i never did too well at the coloseum, but i went there less. but all 3 are the kindof places where you just gotta keep going in order to luck up.

cant say ive ever seen a flea market wit more style than ashby. the drummers, the milk truck, the ladies, the thai temple across the street. shit is dope. i gotta get back out there soon.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    anyone else go to Allentown? i picked up loads of stuff, too much to type, but def. crossed a few things off the want list...

i got the first agnostic front EP for 33 cents... that shit will hit ebay soon (unless someone wants to trade me the first SS Decontrol LP for it!)

anyways, near the end of the day, i'm digging thru this one guy's stuff... mostly overpriced, then just killing time waiting for my friend, i dig thru a table on the side marked "3 dollars each"... i pulled the following:

rainbow 65 pts 1,2- gene chandler
    i wanna know if it's good to you/inst.- funkadelic
    hit it and quit it/a whole lotta bs- funkadelic
    good old music/i'll make it up to you - the magictones
    i call my baby pussycat / little old country boy- parliament
    i got a thing, you got a thing... / fish chips and sweat- funkadelic
    whatever makes my baby feel good/inst. - george clinton, rose williams & the funkedelics
    hey blackman pt, 1,2- ed robinson
    it's the real thing (your love)/forget him- the superlatives (2 copies)
    keep on dancing/inst. - alvin cash & the scott bros. orchestra
    get up, get into it, get involved/ pt 2- james brown
    the drunk / sometimes man has to... - james brown
    sexplot/don't lose what you got...- boby franklin's insanity (two copies)
    first i look at the purse/searching for a girl- the contours
    it must be love/don't let her be your baby- the contours
    whole lotta woman/come on and be mine- the contours
    it's the real thing/ pt 2- the electric express
    hole in the wall / go head go- the packers
    chicken on down / right on right on- e. rodney jones and the hippies band
    hard times / sky blue- thunderfunk symphony

most of the records were store stock, none below vg or vg+... the "funkedelics" record is their first single under that name, a dope as fuck tune that i've had on a shitty comp for years and have never seen in the field... a very hard record to across outside detroit... one of the contours 45's is one the super old school motown label, black and white w/ no graphics at all... i was beyond psyched... when i paid the guy, they only charged me 2 bucks each, so 44 bucks...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jesus Christ - what was that, 10 minutes after I got off the
    phone with you?? I remember you were saying you thought you were
    done for the day and mentioned some shit you had traded for...
    INSANE.

So, um, you know them dupes are coming this way, right?
    I got a few special trades I been saving just for you

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Jesus Christ - what was that, 10 minutes after I got off the
    phone with you?? I remember you were saying you thought you were
    done for the day and mentioned some shit you had traded for...
    INSANE.

So, um, you know them dupes are coming this way, right?
    I got a few special trades I been saving just for you

yeah, you'd dig the Superlatives track, raw funky track, with nice smooth emsemble vocals...

then i went back to nyc, dj'ed a party, and stayed there til 6am... 42 hours straight... was a fun day, tho...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Was down in Southern VT, and I copped this at a Junk Shop for a quarter in minty shape. Really Amazing Soul/Funk LP.

It's been a long time since I actually got a good deal on a record. Feels good, almost forgot what it's like to score heat for cheap.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Nate what is that record the pic soesnt show up

also i just noticed your avatar (the fact the dog has a record )

also guzzo's new avatar is

Nate what is that record the pic soesnt show up

also i just noticed your avatar (the fact the dog has a record )

also guzzo's new avatar is

That's my dog (RIP) sadie. Had to put her to sleep last year. She was 13, I got her when I was 12.

• All three today. Is that vierd?

I've got that one on eclipse, I found it here in brussels...
    always wondered what the deal was.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    so i decided to go check the chelsea and ave. a fleas yesterday...pleasantly surprised! i thought for sure that getting there at 2 or 3 like i do would be fruitless but chelsea had a ton of funky records for $3 each...solid stuff...and ave. a had a ton of 12"s.

this is stone mint still in shrink...got this for $10 from george...a steal i think.

$3 at chelsea...this must be the funky one because it's funky! and the other ones i've heard aren't at all.

cover is pretty torn up but the records ok...and there's certainly no doubt that this isn't a reish!

$3 at chelsea...i've been looking for this for years...i have the regular lp but this is the promo 2X12" version...amazing Walter Gibbons remixes of salsoul classics...a solid $50 and up record.

this is an odd one...a Tommy Stewart record on Salsoul from 1981...very funky and sounds nothing like a Salsoul record from that era.

nice remix that kicks off with a break

this is a disco rap thing on salsoul...never seen this before...quite good.

• Options
    Heres a few of my finds from today...

Finally found another copy of get loose crew so I can listen to it my other is sealed.

One of those dudes I know from Cedarbrae wayyy back. Don't think that 12 is worth any coin whatsoever. Now if you could find my boy Dale's early Brass Tax tapes or 12's, then you're in the money.

Those records look like they're from Rics. Why did you buy that Julie Spence?

K.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Theyre from a retiring dj's collection hes selling off his records. I picked up that julie spence just cuz I didnt know what it was. Im going to go back, I'll have to look out for those 12s. He had a lot of local stuff.

• just getting around to going through the records I picked up this weekend,
    mostly cheap flea market finds, except for the curtis/live! and impressions lp which were both $10

heres the highlights:

blues magoos and impressions are both mono copies
    meditation record is a spoken word out of syracuse, ny, no clue what year...
    never have heard of the happenings, definitely liked the LP the first listening and the covers pretty dope, about to do some allmusic research

also picked up:
    flying burrito brothers - last of the red hot burritos
    rotary connection - alladin
    lou rawls - nobody but lou
    david mccallum - music a part of me
    nat adderley double exposure
    talking heads - remain in light
    talking heads - speaking in tongues
    sectional all-state music festiva 1965 - canandaigua, ny
    nektar - remember the future
    nektar - down to earth
    hugh masekela - promise of a future
    peter tosh - equal rights
    skateboard OST

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I picked up about 80 records this weekend from three spots, but here are a few highlights off the dome:

Sixty-Nine 12" - Brooklyn Express
    Right in the Socket 12" - Shalamar
    And You Know That 12" - The Jammers
    Got to be Real 12" - Cheryl Lynn
    Bamalama 12" - Belle Epoque
    Native Love 12" - Megatrone Women
    Sardines 12" - The Junkyard Band
    Super Freak Promo 12" - Rick James
    Once is Not Enough 12" - Leon Love
    He's the Greatest Dancer Promo 12" - Sister Sledge
    We Are Here to Geek You Up 12" - Michael Henderson

S/T LP - Phreek
    E2-E4 LP - Manuel Gottschling
    It's Our Thing LP - Isley Brothers
    Eskimo LP - The Residents
    Off the Cuff LP - Freddie Robinson
    Total Eclipse LP - Bobby Hutcherson

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Sardines 12" - The Junkyard Band

Plaese to file under 'WISH THEY WEREN'T ALWAYS SKATED' thread

• Options
    Was down in Southern VT, and I copped this at a Junk Shop for a quarter in minty shape. Really Amazing Soul/Funk LP.

It's been a long time since I actually got a good deal on a record. Feels good, almost forgot what it's like to score heat for cheap.

PRetty common cheapy, no? I see that LP everywhere.

K.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

K.

Well... at some point it commanded a bit of money although nobody I ever talked to could understand why... pretty by-the-numbers southern soul if you ask me and not worth the $50+ it was getting. Either way, at some point I think folks caught on and it can now be had for a twomp at most.

• princeton got in some greek psych. also upgraded my 'kick out the jams' from an og w/o jon sinclair's liner notes to one with. and a bunch of dollar stuff from thrifts including some valuable folk psych that i wasn't into and can remember the name of. and a bunch of hardcore including 108 and into another to flip

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

princeton got in some greek psych. also upgraded my 'kick out the jams' from an og w/o jon sinclair's liner notes to one with. and a bunch of dollar stuff from thrifts including some valuable folk psych that i wasn't into and can remember the name of. and a bunch of hardcore including 108 and into another to flip

I have that bottom record. I wanna put it on ebay but I have no idea how to list it haha.

• I have that bottom record. I wanna put it on ebay but I have no idea how to list it haha.

this seemed to work for one of the listings on popsike, there are a couple more with different spellings and such. or just put holy pakora!

DIONYSIS SAVOPOULOS-PERIBOLI .. Greek PSYCH 1969 M/M-

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

I have that bottom record. I wanna put it on ebay but I have no idea how to list it haha.

this seemed to work for one of the listings on popsike, there are a couple more with different spellings and such. or just put holy pakora!

Dreas Heardrums might want it. Greekbeats

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

Dreas Heardrums might want it. Greekbeats

NICE...great fucking album.

K.

Well... at some point it commanded a bit of money although nobody I ever talked to could understand why... pretty by-the-numbers southern soul if you ask me and not worth the $50+ it was getting. Either way, at some point I think folks caught on and it can now be had for a twomp at most.

You two just have to chime in on everything don'tcha? Can't I just be happy finding a record? jeez.

K.

You two just have to chime in on everything don'tcha? Can't I just be happy finding a record? jeez.

haha, I didn't want to respond because I saw you were happy and I hate pissing on parades like that... but I wanted to answer Kevin's question...

It is a nice record, I'm giving it a bad rap. I don't know about "really amazing" though... still a nice pull for mere pence.

Btw, still on the case of B*ck *ast... leads and more leads, lots of dead ends though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It is a nice record, I'm giving it a bad rap.

Is that the sound of a copy arriving at the shoppe?

Haha no, I guess I'd buy it for cheap but it's a hard sell. Maybe Bizzo can blow it up, soulstrut style!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    johnny robinson- solid southern soul lp. nothing funky per se but nice willie mitchell production, great sound. it'll grow on you.

at one point $50 - $75, no clue now.

let nate enjoy his memphis high. don't harsh.

Haha no, I guess I'd buy it for cheap but it's a hard sell. Maybe Bizzo can blow it up, soulstrut style!

They have one downstairs at TSL on the big dude shelf marked at something like $80, which absolutely mystifies me.

I've always said it was a nice record for $10 or $12, but I'd be mad if I put anything resembling a bill down on it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    johnny robinson- solid southern soul lp. nothing funky per se but nice willie mitchell production, great sound. it'll grow on you.

Co-sign ... maybe not as amazing as the early Ann Peebles LP's,
    but any fans of Willie Mitchell late-60's production need that LP
    in their life, without a doubt. Anywhere from $10-$30 seems fair, in good shape.

Co-sign ... maybe not as amazing as the early Ann Peebles LP's,
    but any fans of Willie Mitchell late-60's production need that LP
    in their life, without a doubt. Anywhere from $10-$30 seems fair, in good shape.

Not nearly as good as the Willie Mitchell-produced Denise LaSalle LP, though, which can be had much more readily and cheaply.