Am I The Only Loser That Catalogues LP's

2»

Comments

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I do, I did the vast chunk of it when I was laid up from work which was the only plus point from that, It's in access by Artist, Title, Genre, Label, Release Date, Cat #, Format (Haven't done my cd's and can't see myself ever doing it), Value (the Rich45s made up book of values by and large), condition, Miscellanous stuff( coloured vinyl, etc) and Sample potential - I can't decide wether it's a clever move or I've sucked all the love out of my collection. I then import it into excel as well so you can sort it into ascending order so can alphabetise or by label / cat no etc, also Hotmail doesn't like whatever format Acess saves it in and keeps deleting in it, so it goes into excel so I can have a list of it stored in my Hotmail account so if I'm abroad I got access to what I have, haven't got. If I had a PDA I'd stick it on that too. It doesn't stop me being unable to find something but at least I know I got it somewhere

Once you break the back of it all, it's just a case of keeping it up, but that first hurdle is big.

I really think I need a woman.

Hey Rich, are you in Texas by any chance? I may have bought some stuff off ya in the recent past.

Nah, 'Fraid not fella, I'm a Londoner, infact here I am.

why do you ask? Hate to think there was another Rich45s out there.

• Hey Rich, are you in Texas by any chance? I may have bought some stuff off ya in the recent past.

Are you talking about J***s*** by any chance?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i dont but i bet i would if i had more time.

heres a thought: if there was a database that listed a sku#/bar code with all known lp atists + titles etc (obviously the database would be ever growing as they were added in over time by all the subscribers), you could download/print a bar code sticker that equalled that records data, and stick it to that lp's bag in your expedit. as lots of info can be encoded in a few lines, it would have all the info and such in it, like label, cat# etc. then you have one of those bar code reading cat thingys plugged into your comp via USB to scan em in or out of your collection... sort of like having inventory of your collection without all the typing and spreadsheets. i guess some stores have just sort of a thing already.... er... yep, just reinventing the wheel over here, pay me no mind!

but still.

PUT STICKERS ON MY RAERS????

Fuck. I don't have raers anyways... lol.

I've been meaning to catalogue my shit for ages... I've only got a little less that 1K records so it shouldn't take me THAT long. I've always thought it would be a good way of keeping track of things I'd like to sample... cuz I'm not one of those people that just records clips of songs for future sampling. So if I had a nice database of records, with some sort of flag or switch for "To be sampled" or something... would work real nice. As mentioned it would also be great to trim about 100 records or so that I never listen to or won't ever sample. My pile of "not worth listening but perhaps worth sampling" stuff is getting out of hand.

stickers on raers - never that! im saying on the BAG. the lp bag.

as for "flagging for sampling", thats why theres 423520345234 postit notes sticking off of my lps. it does work, but ONLY if you make a little note on it, otherwide youll go "why did i flag this one?" 8 months later.

nerd power!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    i dont but i bet i would if i had more time.

heres a thought: if there was a database that listed a sku#/bar code with all known lp atists + titles etc (obviously the database would be ever growing as they were added in over time by all the subscribers), you could download/print a bar code sticker that equalled that records data, and stick it to that lp's bag in your expedit. as lots of info can be encoded in a few lines, it would have all the info and such in it, like label, cat# etc. then you have one of those bar code reading cat thingys plugged into your comp via USB to scan em in or out of your collection... sort of like having inventory of your collection without all the typing and spreadsheets. i guess some stores have just sort of a thing already.... er... yep, just reinventing the wheel over here, pay me no mind!

but still.

PUT STICKERS ON MY RAERS????

Fuck. I don't have raers anyways... lol.

I've been meaning to catalogue my shit for ages... I've only got a little less that 1K records so it shouldn't take me THAT long. I've always thought it would be a good way of keeping track of things I'd like to sample... cuz I'm not one of those people that just records clips of songs for future sampling. So if I had a nice database of records, with some sort of flag or switch for "To be sampled" or something... would work real nice. As mentioned it would also be great to trim about 100 records or so that I never listen to or won't ever sample. My pile of "not worth listening but perhaps worth sampling" stuff is getting out of hand.

as for "flagging for sampling", thats why theres 423520345234 postit notes sticking off of my lps. it does work, but ONLY if you make a little note on it, otherwide youll go "why did i flag this one?" 8 months later.

nerd power!

Yeah the stickers was obviously a joke...
    I don't have all my records in a wall unit, so that sticky method wouldn't work as well.

I think the first step I need to take is to simple do a thorough organization of records. They're *loosely* organized into genres, with related records put *somewhere* near each other... but there's far from any real order. I have an idea of where everything is... but if it's not where I think it should be, then I'm totally lost.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

nerd power!

Why dont you just write all the notes in an excel spreadsheet (or similar) and then you dont have to worry about all the stickys? You have the added advantage or being able to sort by sample type, or atrist/genre. Thats the only databasing i do, but i've been giving serious thought to cataloging the lot, now that its up around 1500.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Why dont you just write all the notes in an excel spreadsheet (or similar) and then you dont have to worry about all the stickys? You have the added advantage or being able to sort by sample type, or atrist/genre. Thats the only databasing i do, but i've been giving serious thought to cataloging the lot, now that its up around 1500.

not a bad thought... probably just because i started doing it this way years ago and got used to it. once i sample something the actual wav files get ID's and sorted into folders that ID the type of sound they are, for sifting thru later. i guess i didnt see a need for cataloguing the info - just the actual "material". one less list to keep track of i guess.