NUJABES

DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I didn't check the link, but i'm a big fan of the Blessin' It Remix, still trying to track that down on vinyl...

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Link = "Aruarian Dance"

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    no ciara? man i like it, but it really doesnt hold up as an instrumental imo. he needs to step his arrangement skills up, this just sounds like house with a looped break. im ready to hit the next button way before it ends.

• I liked some of their 12's. My only problem is that production some times sounds very similar (jazz funk samples, big drums). but yo I'm just a nit-picky insecure producer dude so don't pay attention to moi.

I heard their shop in Tokoyo is dope for "raerz".

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    yes that track is soooo butter! that silk remix of amerie's one thing w/ arurian dance is butta!

from what i gather the nujabes did the sdtk to some japanese animation called samurai champloo...

is this the same nujabes that did the nas dimension ball remix of 'one love'???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i really like that track they did for cyne

• yes that track is soooo butter! that silk remix of amerie's one thing w/ arurian dance is butta!

from what i gather the nujabes did the sdtk to some japanese animation called samurai champloo...

is this the same nujabes that did the nas dimension ball remix of 'one love'???

yup

they've been doing random 12''s for Pase Rock, Apani, Shingo and other japan only jernts.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    no ciara? man i like it, but it really doesnt hold up as an instrumental imo. he needs to step his arrangement skills up, this just sounds like house with a looped break. im ready to hit the next button way before it ends.

I can see how the simpleness of the track could get boring but at the same time I sometimes like it when a track isn't overproduced. Sometimes I don't want to hear a bunch of change-ups, rearrangements, fillers, etc. When shit is chopped (don't get me wrong) I dig it, but for some reason I dig simpleness sometimes...

• I liked some of their 12's. My only problem is that production some times sounds very similar (jazz funk samples, big drums). but yo I'm just a nit-picky insecure producer dude so don't pay attention to moi.

Its a nice shop, you can listen to everything... Nice decor... BUT, very overpriced... and not many Japanese joints, if you are digging fir that stuff in Japan. Very nice and helpful staff though.

My favorite Nujabes joint is the remix for the Five Deez "Latitude"... simple but uplifting.

Peace...
    FNM

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    'tis nice, had only heard the mashup with amerie.

have been feeling dude's music for some time although the new album ('modal soul') is good but not 'metaphorical music' good. my main beef with it is that it's very poorly mixed IMO which does affect the quality. drums way low on some tracks and some other irregularities. cosignature on the five deez remix, shit's butta!

Its a nice shop, you can listen to everything... Nice decor... BUT, very overpriced... and not many Japanese joints, if you are digging fir that stuff in Japan. Very nice and helpful staff though.

My favorite Nujabes joint is the remix for the Five Deez "Latitude"... simple but uplifting.

Peace...
    FNM

what city is it in? and what is called? i'll be in Japan May 1st through the 6th

Peace...
    FNM

what city is it in? and what is called? i'll be in Japan May 1st through the 6th

Have fun man! It's in Udagawa, which is in Shibuya, which is in Tokyo... It's clustered many other record stores in Shibuya... Go past Tokyu Hands department store (should be on your right, with Dance Music Records on your left), turn into the little alley right after Manhatten Records... Muro's store is up the stairs and to your right, and up the stairs and to the left is first Tribe and above that Guiness... I believe both of these are Nujabes... Jazzy Sport is dope too, which is back the way you came, and about 5 floors up directly across from Mandarake (which isnt records, but you gotta see it anyhow)... and above Mandarake about 3 floors or so is the big ass Recofan? I think it's Recofan... can't remember, but thats one of my favorite places in Shibuya if you want old records...

Peace...
    FNM

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

I can see how the simpleness of the track could get boring but at the same time I sometimes like it when a track isn't overproduced. Sometimes I don't want to hear a bunch of change-ups, rearrangements, fillers, etc. When shit is chopped (don't get me wrong) I dig it, but for some reason I dig simpleness sometimes...

I agree completely, Im not saying I want big changeups or whatever, I like the minimalism. But right now it just sounds stiff and housy(is that a word?) to my ears. I just want the track to sound more natural, less electronic. Im mainly hatting on this dudes programming skills, it just sounds... dead. A little subtle details could bring it to life. That sample has more potetial! That version with the accapella was so much better.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    I am saying this as a producer myself tho, that probably isnt as obvious to other people I guess.