NC HipHop Mix (non-SS bitching moaning related)

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Sorry I don't have anything to complain about SoulStrut today. Am I banned?Anyway, here's a lastminute DJ set I did at University of Richmond this past Saturday thanks to 'strutter Mordecai (thanks bro! it was fun!). It's all NC hiphop from 1985-2005:http://www.doublestandardcrew.com/inthegroove/latest.html(part 2, about 8 minutes in, after all the Wu-Tang stuff)North Carolina All-Stars (prod. Mike City): Carolina (Ichiban LP - 1997)The Servants: Stranded (Ripper Hard Core Mix) (New York South 12" - 1994)Hot Wright feat. Krunk: Wright Now (Now City 12" - circa 2000)Guido: Young OG (One Hot Minute LP - 2003)Livestock: Po-Po (Top Shelf 12" - circa 1998)Special "Gee": Low Profile (New York South 12" - 1991)Ondray Pearson: Dance If You Wanta Move (Nu Breed 12" - circa 1989)Pug Flava & Smyles Civic: What Now (Pug Records 12" - 2004)Da Pit-Stalkaz: Lose Ya Calm (Mad Face LP - 1998)Bossman: Straight Up "G" (Durham Creep Mix) (Boss/Solar 12" - 1994)Fresh Express: Stop! (Before You Get Started) (Tamika 45 - 1986)Tim Greene: The Facts of Life (Sugarscoop 12" - 1985)Wax Master Torey/DJ SoundMachine: 12 Inches The Hard Way (B-Boy 12" - 1987)Butta Team/Big Daddy Kane/9th Wonder: Welcome To Durham (W2D 12" - 2005)Nomb feat. Anthony Hamilton: Carolina Pride (Goodfellas Ent. 12" - 2005)Showdown: I Love It (inst.) (Showdown 12" - circa 2000)Admittedly I'm guilty of some trainwrecking & bad mixing (especially forgetting switch the crossfader at 33:30). That said, I drove 3 hours and went straight on the decks from the car with no prep, no practice, and a bunch of records that for the most part I'd never fully listened to before so cut me some slak and enjoy some cakalakrap.

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    no yaggfu Front??? haha nice though.

Livestock and Showdown are the homies.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Sorry I don't have anything to complain about SoulStrut today. Am I banned?

Anyway, here's a lastminute DJ set I did at University of Richmond this past Saturday thanks to 'strutter Mordecai (thanks bro! it was fun!). It's all NC hiphop from 1985-2005:

http://www.doublestandardcrew.com/inthegroove/latest.html
    (part 2, about 8 minutes in, after all the Wu-Tang stuff)

North Carolina All-Stars (prod. Mike City): Carolina (Ichiban LP - 1997)
    The Servants: Stranded (Ripper Hard Core Mix) (New York South 12" - 1994)
    Hot Wright feat. Krunk: Wright Now (Now City 12" - circa 2000)
    Guido: Young OG (One Hot Minute LP - 2003)
    Livestock: Po-Po (Top Shelf 12" - circa 1998)
    Special "Gee": Low Profile (New York South 12" - 1991)
    Ondray Pearson: Dance If You Wanta Move (Nu Breed 12" - circa 1989)
    Pug Flava & Smyles Civic: What Now (Pug Records 12" - 2004)
    Da Pit-Stalkaz: Lose Ya Calm (Mad Face LP - 1998)
    Bossman: Straight Up "G" (Durham Creep Mix) (Boss/Solar 12" - 1994)
    Fresh Express: Stop! (Before You Get Started) (Tamika 45 - 1986)
    Tim Greene: The Facts of Life (Sugarscoop 12" - 1985)
    Wax Master Torey/DJ SoundMachine: 12 Inches The Hard Way (B-Boy 12" - 1987)
    Butta Team/Big Daddy Kane/9th Wonder: Welcome To Durham (W2D 12" - 2005)
    Nomb feat. Anthony Hamilton: Carolina Pride (Goodfellas Ent. 12" - 2005)
    Showdown: I Love It (inst.) (Showdown 12" - circa 2000)

Admittedly I'm guilty of some trainwrecking & bad mixing (especially forgetting switch the crossfader at 33:30). That said, I drove 3 hours and went straight on the decks from the car with no prep, no practice, and a bunch of records that for the most part I'd never fully listened to before so cut me some slak and enjoy some cakalakrap.

hey marco is that bossman the current b'more bossman?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    no yaggfu Front???

I have the CD but was trying to do a vinyl-only set.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    no yaggfu Front??? haha nice though.

Livestock and Showdown are the homies.

fo' real. Where's ya busted loop? ha.

i was wondering if my old homeboys from charlotte ever put out a 12" but i don't think so. Catsckillz Project/Phantom4ce. any yall NC heads ever heard of them?

hey marco is that bossman the current b'more bossman?

Nah, this is some Dr. Dre G-funk wannabe outta Durham. On the sleeve he looks like he's in his mid-30s, and the pic was taken in 1994.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    yooooooo, where are the pics from saturday nite?

Showdown

WTF is up with that Austin Powers 12" sleeve??? Wackest design EVAR

The song is good though - it's total Dizzy Bull beat!

G*ry: make sure to listen to the last track in the mix to hear some 60s lounge looping courtesy Showdown.

Also look for the single by King P and Billy Dee - Just a Lil bit

dope dope dope track.. beat is bananas.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

hell yeah, bo

i always talk shit to sound about "12 inches the hard way"... ayo of the century

i always talk shit to sound about "12 inches the hard way"... ayo of the century

ha ha ha no doubt!

Any old NC heads remember the "Mr. Did" anti-littering PSA's? "That's what I been trying to tell you lady!!!"

Yo J*ck lemme know when you wanna meet to pick up those records. I'm in Chapel Hill all days this week.

Showdown

WTF is up with that Austin Powers 12" sleeve??? Wackest design EVAR

The song is good though - it's total Dizzy Bull beat!

G*ry: make sure to listen to the last track in the mix to hear some 60s lounge looping courtesy Showdown.

Showdown is a funny dude. he actually could have blown up nationwide, but didn't. he was doing all the intros on Power out in LA for a few years from NC. Dude is funny as hell on the mic. All his designs are on some straight clowning style.

yooooooo, where are the pics from saturday nite?

You asked for 'em...

MUGGING, HAMMING, AND POSTING UP: The Three Stooges (aka Mesh, Soulmarcosa, Knewjak)

TERRORIZING THE OUT-OF-TOWNER: Soulmarcosa & Miss Shing-A-Ling

TERRORIZING THE LOCAL: Soulmarcosa & Marty Violence (Scorpio Brothers)

SOUL 45 COLLECTRO DISCUSSION PANEL: Shing-A-Ling, P*rlmutter, Sire Troy (Scorpio Brothers)

RVA GOES DUMB

A few more pics here:
    http://www.solidsoundsystem.com/music/clubs/scorpiobros/

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    hahaaa, nice. that was a fun night. good to see everyone out.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Marco,

I used to record with Rodney Dixon (engineer and producer with New York South). Most of music on my demos from 1993-95 were recorded there. I also produced four remixes for King Ayollah, one of their other artists, back in 2000. I don't think dude got signed to a major though, so his project fizzled. I should get in touch with Rodney and see what's up.

Also, I recorded my first demo (1987) with that sleezy muthafucka Tim Greene (from Foxy99 FM in Fayetteville back then). He bankrolled the shit as me and my crew were still in high school. That sheisty bastard skip off with our demo, and who knows what happened with it. We had planned to go down to the radio station and fuck him up on some late-night, merc shit. Small world, isn't it?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

Butta Team/Big Daddy Kane/9th Wonder: Welcome To Durham (W2D 12" - 2005)

Has anyone seen the documentary this came from? Some wild shit.

http://www.welcome2durham.com/inside/story.htm

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Proof positive that NC will never be considered a regional rap powerhouse

WHERE THE HELL IS PAYROLL RECORDS, OUR ONE SOURCE OF PRIDE?!?

Hot Wright has released four promo 12s over the past year or two on Asylum, a couple of which are really good

Some Raleigh dude called J-KHRIST released some random rap raer like a month ago that I really like... sounds like 'trap music'

Oh and a friend of mine in RVA will probably be pissed that you posted her pic on the web!

• HUSHHUSH 18 Posts
    NC had a part in the founding of Hip Hop.

Pete "DJ" Jones moved to NY direct from Raleigh NC. There he started playing the old soul and R&B records from back down south. He was more of a disco style dj playing for the older set. I believe he was one of the first DJ's to actually mix records. I read that Grandmaster Flash was sort of his protege, or that Flash was influenced by him or something.

I'd like to see this thread turn into a full discussion of NC Hip Hop. Or at least a post your NC hip hop thread. Very informative so far.

Hush
    Greenvillians, NC

Right on with Pete DJ Jones... rumoured to be among the first party jocks to mix records together??! I wish I knew more... but I thought he was from Apex?? He gets a brief mention in LAST NIGHT A DJ SAVED MY LIFE I think...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Hot Wright has released four promo 12s over the past year or two on Asylum, a couple of which are really good

"Hot Wright the hot man/who said that Hot Wright ain't hot, man?"

I don't know...

Pete DJ Jones actually is somewhat credited with starting the NY club scene in the late 60s/early 70s. He started DJing in 68 with a switch between two turntables. He would buy doubles of 45s and COUNT the grooves to find the jump up spots (breaks). Whne he DJ's he would play the song and when it hit the Jump Up spot then he would extend it by going back and forth. Mind you this was before there were crossfaders so it was a bit rough and sudden. He started Djing in uptown, and some restaurant owners heard im and asked him to come play downtown. At the end of the night the restaurants began clearing tables out to make a dance floor and Pete would go in with his system and rock the party til late.

Love Bug starski carried his crates. Later he used to get pissed at red Alert and Kool Herc because they kept trying to see what records he was playing.

In the early 80s he battled Flash. Jones was asked to lose because the community elders wanted to help Flash's career by him beating a known DJ.

Just some stuff I remember when talking to him. he has stories for days.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Proof positive that NC will never be considered a regional rap powerhouse

WHERE THE HELL IS PAYROLL RECORDS, OUR ONE SOURCE OF PRIDE?!?

Some Raleigh dude called J-KHRIST released some random rap raer like a month ago that I really like... sounds like 'trap music'

I never trusted Roland Jones, though. Dude just seemed sheisty to me. This was a few years after being burned by Tim Greene, so I was jaded. They wanted me to do some beats for the Bizzie Boys and Nyborn back then (circa 1990). I didn't (dumb-decision, crew loyalty-related). I wanted to save the style for my own group, but Ski lifted it somewhat anyway (for some of that OF LP).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I never trusted Roland Jones, though. Dude just seemed sheisty to me. This was a few years after being burned by Tim Greene, so I was jaded. They wanted me to do some beats for the Bizzie Boys and Nyborn back then (circa 1990). I didn't (dumb-decision, crew loyalty-related). I wanted to save the style for my own group, but Ski lifted it somewhat anyway (for some of that OF LP).

Its cool to hear the history around this stuff, but I'm just saying that label/scene was really our area's only big contribution to underground rap...

It would be dope to see a 'Big Stacks' credit on some old Nyborn record though

Its cool to hear the history around this stuff, but I'm just saying that label/scene was really our area's only big contribution to underground rap...

It would be dope to see a 'Big Stacks' credit on some old Nyborn record though

Here's another: My crew (Born Supreme Productions; lead rapper was a 5%er related) won a statewide rap contest with the grand prize being a deal on Mr. Freeze Records (sheisty fat fuck, tiny label-related). I had my lawyer read the contract, and he redlined like 2/3 of it. Needless to say, we didn't do it. That group Hip-Hop Culture was given the prize by default (remember "The Soloist" 12" with the Eric B & Rakim sample; that group).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

[Needless to say, we didn't do it. That group Hip-Hop Culture was given the prize by default (remember "The Soloist 12 with the Eric B & Rakim sample; that group).

LOL!

I've come across 'Hip Hop Culture' test-presses many times... !

Too bad it wasn't yawl...

[Needless to say, we didn't do it. That group Hip-Hop Culture was given the prize by default (remember "The Soloist 12 with the Eric B & Rakim sample; that group).

LOL!

I've come across 'Hip Hop Culture' test-presses many times... !

Too bad it wasn't yawl...

You shouldn't make deals with the devil, so I didn't. Mr. Freeze was bad news, everybody knew it (with his no DJin' ass).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    the same mr. freeze who owned the worst record store ever?... that place sucked... he had all those good records on the wall, but they weren't for sale... you had to dig through all that bullshit on the floor... i found some decent shit in there when i was just starting out though

• i was wondering if my old homeboys from charlotte ever put out a 12" but i don't think so. Catsckillz Project/Phantom4ce. any yall NC heads ever heard of them?

oh shit..yeah I did know those dudes..what was homeboys name w/ the dreads that rapped w. phantom 4ce?? Shit..the name slips my mind at the moment. It's been a long time since I was around those guys. They would come down to SC everynow and then and kick it with a friend of mine named Dave.

Mr. Freeze Records

You'll be happy to know his store closed down a couple of years ago. I agree w/ SonOfSam - he had more shitty records per sq. inch than any store I've ever seen.

That group Hip-Hop Culture was given the prize by default

Ugh. That 12" didn't even make the trip to RVA for the radio show. Abysmal rapping on that piece of junk. Stacks, you should have signed the Mr. Freeze contract and gotten screwed anyway... if only so I could have played a Born Supreme Productions 12" this weekend and today we could be telling you how dope it was.

My dad got tooken by Mr Freeze way back in the day (i.e. before I was into records) on a huge collection of 80s 12" we didn't know what to do with