SAN FRANCISCO what's hot?

lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
in town for a couple few,for those interested in going out tonight, i'll be playing at CAMA later (in the heart of the mission i'm told) should be mega laid back, playing disco and rollersk8 45's.also scrappin around town today, all i really have on my list to do is GROOVE MERCHANT. looking for some interesting spots to check (not really diggin related)please to post if you know any hot:VEGAN/VEGGIE EATERIESGALLERIESCLOTHING STORESTHRIFTSGRAETFULDEAD ON DATany suggestiones most appreciated!

Comments

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    sorry i meant graetful dead on TAP.

• I've been wondering, are the good Grateful Dead records
    (standard issue Reprise and MCA) going to be more expensive
    bought at a store on Haight Street?
    Or less expensive?

On one hand, you would think that the good Dead records would
    litter the bay like gum wrappers, especially so on Haight.

On the other hand, a betie-dyed tourist might get it in their
    head that buying one of the good Dead records in the Haight
    is exactly what they need to do to enhance their gasm.
    Hence : higher prices for the good Dead right in the heart
    of the Haight.

Which is it.

actually i was totally joking about the dead. i'm good.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i thought their fanbase was in vermont or connecticut or somewheres.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    710 ashbury.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    dude, you absoulutely MUST go to Golden Era restaurant. Vegan Vietnamese? food. RIDICULOID. Get a steamed bun with the dark sauce... oh so delicious

seriously, ive never met a deadhead from cali. theyre always from new england or some shit.

• dude, you absoulutely MUST go to Golden Era restaurant. Vegan Vietnamese? food. RIDICULOID. Get a steamed bun with the dark sauce... oh so delicious

At what point do vegetarians lose their taste buds? Golden Era's food tastes like ass.

For Chinese vegetarian, I prefer Lucky Creation in C-Town.

dude, you absoulutely MUST go to Golden Era restaurant. Vegan Vietnamese? food. RIDICULOID. Get a steamed bun with the dark sauce... oh so delicious

At what point do vegetarians lose their taste buds? Golden Era's food tastes like ass.

For Chinese vegetarian, I prefer Lucky Creation in C-Town.

you're so cruel. What did you try there? I have eaten alot of the stuff there, and none of it tasted like ass. STEAMED BUNS ALLALLAWLLALALLALA

• you're so cruel. What did you try there?

Some very dry, mealy concoction that I've tried to block out of my mind entirely.

Just go to Naan & Curry (same area, roughly) and get your Pakistani veggie dinner for cheap!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    in town for a couple few,
    for those interested in going out tonight, i'll be playing at CAMA later (in the heart of the mission i'm told) should be mega laid back, playing disco and rollersk8 45's.

also scrappin around town today, all i really have on my list to do is GROOVE MERCHANT. looking for some interesting spots to check (not really diggin related)

please to post if you know any hot:

VEGAN/VEGGIE EATERIES
    GALLERIES
    CLOTHING STORES
    THRIFTS
    GRAETFULDEAD ON DAT

any suggestiones most appreciated!

Ha, my hommie works at Cama. No disrespect, but that place is actually really weird. They got like, rollerblader tapestries on the wall and shit, bizzare.

Just down the block on 16th is Pakwan, good indian grub for cheap.

And Golden Era was lovely when I went there, they keep that kitchen real pristine. I'm not sure what you had R*ss but I would give it a second chance.

yeah, i just google localled the golden era, HITTTTTIIIITTTTIIINNN THAT SHITTTT UP.

looks like i will have to blaze about half of their menu. clay pot specialties...looks dope.

hoggin: did you have LAMB IN A CLAY POT? that sounded kind of
    we'll see.

on haight right now and GRANPA SHIG, believe that shit. day of the dead right about now. i forgot how insanely hippy this city is. makes me want to start playing sports again. seriously though, it is real nice to not have 75% of my vision blocked by SUV's like in los angeles.

sum gutter punk just asked me for $200. maybe he should sell his $500 outfit?

---

any more suggestions on the art tip?

• ryanryan 334 Posts

---

any more suggestions on the art tip?

CREATIVITY EXPLORED.

• The Hogg does not get down with fake lamb meat. Come, come now.

I don't remember what I had (and I went twice), but it was bland and nasty. And I'm an omnivore who enjoys good vegetarian cuisine.

If you want a good SF burrito experience but don't want to ingest meat (damn near an oxymoron), hit up El Castillito on Church between Duboce and Market (across from Safeway) for their grilled veggie burrito. It's excellent.

I'm sorry you're encountering so many hippies on Haight right now. You have just entered a soap-free zone.

I don't remember what I had (and I went twice), but it was bland and nasty. And I'm an omnivore who enjoys good vegetarian cuisine.

you and mrs. hogg where some hatterific hatters that time.

crepevine on irving is that schitt

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    If you want a good SF burrito experience but don't want to ingest meat (damn near an oxymoron), hit up El Castillito on Church between Duboce and Market (across from Safeway) for their grilled veggie burrito. It's excellent.

Cosign on that joint, but it's all about the steak tortas. Soooo gooood!

SGV and garden grove will kick the ao dais off golden era. even on the vegan tip.

try that geary/leavenworth block for the fast indian/pakistani grub. it's decent.

axum is an ethiopian joint across the st. from groove merchant and there's a much better indian joint right up the street on fillmore/haight.

i told my main man jeffie graff about some macrobiotic shit in the sunset if raw uncooked rabbit food is your bag.

on the art tip? man, this aint the westside, or LA chinatown or some shit. i suggest taking the caltrains tracks from soma out to like burlingame or so. its safe to walk. i mean, i done it and i aint no thugggg. some awesome paintings along there. various alleys so of mkt. the architecture is free to look at. i mean, you cant buy cute mini buttons and tshirts, but its still cool.

I can't stand burritos. And I'm white.

You are in no position to talk about what food is good, Mr. "I Give Sparky's 4 Flaming Stars."

Cosign on that joint, but it's all about the steak tortas. Soooo gooood!

as close to socal carne as you can get. ive always loved this place. my foodblogger hammie edub says they guy behind the counter makes weird animal noises if you use the bathroom.

• as close to socal carne as you can get. ive always loved this place. my foodblogger hammie edub says they guy behind the counter makes weird animal noises if you use the bathroom.

Those guys are awesome. Ask B.Cause--they have a whole set of jokes they bust out. When they're cuttin' up the beef, one guy will make crying cat sounds. When they offer you cilantro, they'll ask, "Marijuana?" And when Neta and I go there, they'll draw a flower on her foil and a crying man on mine.

BTW: I often ordered the grilled veggie burrito--and add carnitas.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

we'll see.

i like the lamb. its pretty good. those steambuns are on hit too.

i will say though that in the two dozen+ times that ive been there ive had one or two mediocre meals but theyre never bad. bland, a little boring, but always edible.

area is shady and there are the two indian restaurants around the block that are good too. shalimar and the other one three doors up towards geary. that noodle shop is good... cant remember the name though.

You are in no position to talk about what food is good, Mr. "I Give Sparky's Baghdad Cafe[/b] 4 Flaming Stars."

I will admit I was feeling Sparky's for a minute only because I didn't know about Baghdad and all previous late nite dining experiences where El Farolito or Lucky Penny.

But Baghdad is the truth. Never a long wait.

• area is shady

Jinx,

say I have a minty original copy of Grateful Dead "Aoxomoaxa" Lp.

Standing on Haight, is it worth:

1. Less than a dollar

2. Five Dollar

3. Ten Dollar

4. Hunnerd Dollar!

we'll see.

area is shady

I prefer the S.F. version of shady than the Chicago one. Homeless hippy crackhead gangbangers are much easier to deal with than Gangbanging crackheads.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

area is shady

Jinx,

say I have a minty original copy of Grateful Dead "Aoxomoaxa" Lp.

Standing on Haight, is it worth:

1. Less than a dollar

2. Five Dollar

3. Ten Dollar

4. Hunnerd Dollar!

you can twomp out on that if youre lucky but mostly youll just get stares from the trustafari and shake-selling juvenile delinquents on the block.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I will admit I was feeling Sparky's for a minute only because I didn't know about Baghdad and all previous late nite dining experiences where El Farolito or Lucky Penny.

But Baghdad is the truth. Never a long wait.

All the 24 Hour dinners I know of (Sparky's, Baghdad, Orphan Andry's) have okay food. Sparky's gets my seal of approval for their $1.25 beers between 5PM and 10PM. So nice getting swishy on $15 worth of beer.

• Do we have a SF-Food related thread like every 60 days ?

Do we have a SF-Food related thread like every 60 days ?

yay!

dont forget VIDEO CAFE. worst food ever but a damn fine place to sober up.

and how can you folls possibly forget the JTOWN DENNY'S?!? asian gangsterism at its finest. plus a denny's loco moco!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    or late night knife figts at Taqueria Cancun! yay!