My Favorite Ladies : Help w/ Int. Womens Day Theme

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Hello Fellow Strutters. In honor of International Womens Day Id like to invite everyone to List thier favorite Ladies (Music Related) and Vote for What Set I should Play tonight on a half hour guest spot on a public radio show. Ive never really done any radio shows before and considering the occasion and shortness in time I would like to make some kind of point or statement when connecting with me peoples. Id like your help choosing which way to go.The choices are:A: Ladies of Soul .... strutters choice?? Vote Now!!Minnie, Laura Lee, Julie D ( why AM I treated so Bad?), Etta, Ms. Z, Gwen, Betty D maybe a lil Kim Weston, Sylvia, Annie Ross. Denise La Salle, Millie Jackson, Patrice, Nina.B: the Old school Possibilty, the Mothers of a New Generation....Icey J, Nikki D, Isis, Big Lady K, Sweet Tee, MC Peaches, Ice Cream Tee, Antoinette.C : Dont Mess with Me - Get that Pepsi out my face and hand me the Hennessy......Remy Ma, Suga T, Rasheeda, Gangsta Boo, Trina, Ebony Eyez, Jackie O. St. Juste. I would say Conscious Daughters but I dont think one of thier songs are clean enough to play To me choice C is the ulitmate Womens Lib. vibe but this show is going to be on at like 7pm and its public radio so Im not so sure its the best choice but it is my personal choice. To do an all out Gangster / Dirty South set says to hell with South Dakota like nothing else.Anyhow, the soul and funk is probably the easiest and will set me appart from the other W-DJS...but I do want to Play the Dirty stuff...the other gals will most likely cover the underground tip and the last 10 years or so of hip hop...SO what should It be?? Seperate myself from the rest and play from the Soul? or Go all out ready for battle with the big f u statement....? Please also to share your favorite Ladies of the Music World. Thanks..

Comments

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Big Ella

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I don't see any reason why you can't play both!

My favoritest female vocalist to ever walk this earth is Aretha Franklin.

You could play Lynn Collins too (of course). Sister Nancy's Bam Bam is a good choice I would think. There is a ton out there....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Get that Pepsi out my face and hand me the Mad Dog 20/20......
    Yes.

I say bring it from the old to the new (A to C). That would be fresh.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It may not fit your format but Billie Holidays??? ???ain???t nobody???s business if i do??? has some of the best lyrics to me.

Some that come to mind are Shelley Thunder???s Kuff, (Ike &) Tina Turner???s Game of Love, both sides of Gloria Taylor???s 45 Born a Woman/Do Your Duty, Sweet Inspirations' Why Marry, JoAnn Garrett???s I'm a Now Girl (Do it Now), Millie Jackson's The Rap, Vicki Anderson???s Message from the Soul Sisters and I???m Too Tough for Mr.Big Stuff...

and oh yea - I've Got Life by Merry Clayton

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    that is a dope lady day song, i used that on a mix for an (ex) girlfriend once upon a time (and no she never gave me all of her money and i never hit her).

I think you should pick one song by a female artist in as many genres as you can to fill up half an hour. that would be fresh. reggae, soul, oldschool hip hop, new school hip hop, jazz vocalist, latin, etc. etc.. may not flow as well as far as mixing but i think it will make a stronger point maybe...

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Obvious : Carol Kaye AND Minnie Riperton

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    stilleto pumps in the club!... you have to get that one in there

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    stilleto pumps in the club!... you have to get that one in there

Crime Mob!!! How could I forget Crime Mob?!? Just pulled that one out too! Thank U!

Man a half hour spot is like 10 songs at the most... I'd love to go all over the board and maybe even throw in some Billie. ( that be a good opener or closer) Well, we will see...I think it will still be hard but I guess I'll try going with the most politically moving and biggest statements and not limit myself to one genre. I Wish it was a longer set so I didnt have to leave anyone out.

Thanks everyone for all your help...

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    so what was the final verdict?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    It was cool. I only got to play 5-6 songs though. It was a unique situation cause the woman who booked me for this has been my biggest rival for four years...this is the second time we've made an effort to work together and squash it. Ive been under the weather all week and I brought my mom with me for the experience and in case I passed out at the wheel I guess.

Anyhow here is what I played:

Minnie Riperton : Baby the Love I have
    Lyn Christopher: Take me with you
    Julie Dricoll: Why am I treated so Bad
    Nancy Sinatra : These Boots

I didnt want to be interviewed but she broke here to tell the listeners that I was ''One of the hardest Record collectors in the city'' and compared me to some of the greatest diggers, Djs and friends. That was cool.. I never heard anyone rave about me ( and my collection) like that before so it was unexpected...and aside from all our beef over the years I thought it was dope she recogized what I was into and what I was doing. I continued on with the follwing:

Crime Mob: Stilleto Pumps
    Rasheeda : Georgia Peach
    MC Peaches : Treat her like a Lady

Something I learned not to long ago is that if someone hooks you up with a gig and you can in turn hook them up with a gig the cycle will just keep going and going. I was pretty inspired by the Lady Theme...So I asked the organizer to join me tonight at the Remedy to play a whole night of Women in Music and keep the celebration going.

On an unrelated Topic I have been going Bananas over this Candi Staton album I got a couple weeks ago. I just noticed last night that Monty Stark is on the album as well....but I think I have listened to " summer time with you" like 18 times in the past two days..... I dont know what it is about it...maybe the deep off key sounding notes and melodys....but Its incredible.... I wanted to play it last night but its such a long song...but its crazy how a song can make you feel..I love it!! I just cant get enough of it.