Recommend some mid-range speakers/amps

99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I'd like to finally upgrade my stereo now that I've nailed down my LP collection. I'm looking for recommendations on quality speakers and amps. I'd like to invest in something that sounds great and will be durable for some time. I'm not really an audio-phile so please tell me what you know.

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Also recommendations on some good audiophile websites and stores would be cool.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Best bang for your buck speakerwise are Klipsch

$350

It's hard to find a new good midprice integrated amp that has a phono stage. Are you running 2 decks through a mixer? Oor do you want to plug your deck directly into your amp?

Also recommendations on some good audiophile websites and stores would be cool.

acousticsounds.com

Oor do you want to plug your deck directly into your amp?

I don't use a mixer. Just one turntable.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    harman kardon 970

Wharfedale Emerald

Both have gotten lots of "best buy" recommendations. I love my Wharfedales.

Oor do you want to plug your deck directly into your amp?

I don't use a mixer. Just one turntable.

Then you might want to go for a vintage integrated amp. Something with at least 200 watts. I see them all the time at thrifts they were made for records and sound great.

Even the best entry level newer audiophile amps require an addtional/external phono stage. I hate that, but some people don't care.

or

You may have a TT with a built in phono stage. Some of the vestax and stanton TTs have these.

I even like these and see mint ones at the thrifts frequently for $20-$30.

another classic workhorse:

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

It's hard to find a new good midprice integrated amp that has a phono stage. Are you running 2 decks through a mixer? Oor do you want to plug your deck directly into your amp?

What would you recommend for two decks trough a mixer?
    Right now I've got my mixer plugged into my amplifier, but Im thinking about getting active monitors and run them straight from the mixer.

What is this?

Does this have a phono setting?

Right now I've got my mixer plugged into my amplifier, but Im thinking about getting active monitors and run them straight from the mixer.

Well if you have active monitors, you don't need anything else.

I don't understand?

What is this?

Does this have a phono setting?

Sansui.

I believe it has two.

• Kind of related, anyone know of a good place to get monitor stands or wall mounts?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

I don't understand?

I mean what would be the best sound-wise.

Amplifier+speakers or active monitors.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah if you have a mixer or a phono amp i recomend you get active speakers.. every reciever / amp i've ever had (and ive had some really nice ones) has conked out at one point or another... havign less shit racked up and plugged in is always a good look in my opinion

I don't understand?

I mean what would be the best sound-wise.

Amplifier+speakers or active monitors.

I have two systems:

1) A studio type DJ set up in my record room. 1200s, mixer, monitors, subs etc. I think for that kind of set up, it doesn't matter. I just like it loud. If you plan to DJ out and bring your own equipment, some would argue powered speakers are easier.

2) An old school "listening" system in the living room. Amp/TT and 4 speakers. Mrs. Fatback also made me hook up a CD player to it. PUKE. For this system, passive speakers are a must.

Oh and two stand alone tube mono record players for 78s and 45s.

Oh, oh and a crank up Victrola that scares the living shit out of me.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    most active monitors are desinged for studio / mixing usage so they tend to be very flat / neutral.. you will not get BASS in your face or WARMTH out of them.. but you will get an accurate representation of the actual record.. you can always add a sub

these are STOOPID cheap and very good.. 75 watts, optional sub, seperate amp for the hi and lo... headroom for DAYS

i likes

The main drawback for active speakers is that if you blow the speaker, you've lost an amp too and vice versa.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts

I have two systems:

Oh and two stand alone tube mono record players for 78s and 45s.

Post pics or you're soft

• www.acousticsounds.com is your one stop e-shop for everything. Vinyl, cd, amps, speakers, and turntables.

Unless you're a d.j., you don't need Techics/Stanton/Numark anything - only use that shit if you're playing out and drinks could possibly spill on your shit.

Right now I'm rocking a Sumiko Pro-Ject Xpression turntable, a NAD integrated amplifier, a Pro-ject phono pre-amp, and Mirage bookshelf speakers, and I don't play shit unless I've given it a thorough cleaning with my Nitty Gritty.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

those things scare the shit out of me too. especially when in some cobwebbed-out unfinished basement from 1925 and no lights. they sound very creepy.

What generally sounds better??

A vintage integrated amp or a brand new quality-made integrated amp with a phono stage?

A vintage integrated amp or a brand new quality-made integrated amp with a phono stage?

you mean with a separate phono stage?

I don't think there is a sound difference. It's just an extra piece of equipment to take up space and cost money.

I don't think there is a sound difference. It's just an extra piece of equipment to take up space and cost money.

No, built in.

this is one of the best intergrated new amps for an entry level price.

believe it or not, $1200 is entry level.

but it needs a separate phonostage

$250

No, built in.

Vintage is always a crap shoot. you have no warranty and could end up throwing away money trying to get it fixed.

If you have the money go new.