Bush caught on tape talking on Katrina

2»

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

The american public has become desensitized to smoking guns of all types

i hope journalists grab onto this story with at least as much vigor as they did the much less consequential but more sensational 'cheney blasts dude in face' one.

I have a TV in my office and I've been watching news since 9 this morning. I don't think I've seen them even bring it up.

News like this isn't quite as important as finding Natalee Holloways killer in Aruba

dude, she is a good looking white girl. when they go missing, its all Fox fucking covers. CNN aint much better, the week after the tsunami, Larry King had as his guest a good looking white girl who was a model on location when the wave hit, to tell her story...

a model...

telling her story...

painful fucking TV.

good looking white girls dude...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    nothing makes sense anymore. this is deeply depressing

The fact the man asked no questions not only speaks volumes, but sums up his tenure...

light relief anyone? http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/georgie.htm

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Does't anyone else see this as a major smoking gun?
    yes. although bush has committed many terrible blunders and failed horrendously across the board during his terms, this seems like the most blatant evidence of one of lies/mistakes. other times, the right wing has been able to manipulate the media to, at some shallow level, make everything seem ok. i don't see how its possible to put this one through spin alley. however...

The american public has become desensitized to smoking guns of all types

i hope journalists grab onto this story with at least as much vigor as they did the much less consequential but more sensational 'cheney blasts dude in face' one.

While the tape puts all the existing details into high relief, I don't understand what about it is a "smoking gun". You mean how it contradicts what he told that "journalist" Diane Sawyer a few days later? It was not like he was under oath, and he's told taller tales than that one and stood by them.

Honestly, this tape just outlines how badly they did their respective jobs, which unless you have bought the spin so far (and if that's the case this tape will not change your mind) is a known fact.

if Bush was taped saying "make sure they are slow getting security and supplies to that Superdome, after all, it's just poor black people there", then yes, it would be a smoking gun. But this video is just the same shit that the transcripts showed, and it just underlines their incompetence and lip service. Now, if people can't see THAT, they are lost IMO, but people will see what they want.

Honestly, this tape just outlines how badly they did their respective jobs, which unless you have bought the spin so far (and if that's the case this tape will not change your mind) is a known fact.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

And please share the fortune cookie or dental filling from whence you learned of the neocon plan to create a "permanent ruling class." Have you noticed that America has had such a thing since before it's founding.

This is possibly the best thing I will read all day. Not only is it a rare admission from a conservative that a ruling class/political aristoracy exists. It also contradicts the conservative mantra that anyone can achieve anything if they work hard enough.

Thanks.

I gotta stand up for Vitamin here.

The neocons concentrated almost exclusively on foreign policy.

The idea of a permanent ruling class, which Fatback later retermed a permanent Republica majority really had little to do with the neocons. That was rather the plan of people like Karl Rove, Tom Delay and Republican leaders in Congress. That was your traditional economic and cultural conservatives, who are a different set from the neoconservatives.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

And please share the fortune cookie or dental filling from whence you learned of the neocon plan to create a "permanent ruling class." Have you noticed that America has had such a thing since before it's founding.

This is possibly the best thing I will read all day. Not only is it a rare admission from a conservative that a ruling class/political aristoracy exists. It also contradicts the conservative mantra that anyone can achieve anything if they work hard enough.

Thanks.

I gotta stand up for Vitamin here.

The neocons concentrated almost exclusively on foreign policy.

The idea of a permanent ruling class, which Fatback later retermed a permanent Republica majority really had little to do with the neocons. That was rather the plan of people like Karl Rove, Tom Delay and Republican leaders in Congress. That was your traditional economic and cultural conservatives, who are a different set from the neoconservatives.

Fine. But you have the tradcons, socialcons and neocons running shit in this wierd tripout. What will ultimately lead to their downfall is that these three political ideologies are fundamentally incompatible. For example, socialcons would love an evangelical theocracy which flies in the face of the true unregulated free market (tradcons). The neocon issue is covered well in Francis Fukuyama's new book America at the Crossroads: Democracy, Power, and the Neoconservative Legacy

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The neocons are good and dead at least for the time being.

Social Conservatives and Economic Conservatives will continue to share the same bed as long as it means they can win elections and hold power. They've held together since the Reagan coalition, and I don't see them breaking up anytime soon, nor losing control over the Republican party to the moderates Republicans.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think its sad how this story has (literally) become yesterdays news.

Cheney shoots birdshot and the shit is fodder for like over a week.

Bush is caught in a lie that involved the devastation of a major American city and the media is bored with it after a few hours.

hopefully a chimneysweep rapes a congressman today or something.

Bush is caught in a lie that involved the devastation of a major American city and the media is bored with it after a few hours.

But Guz,(1) it's still in the news, every morning show had at least a mention of it, and (2) it doesn't tell anyone anything new! Everyone knew how crappy the response was, and getting caught in a lie you told the press is old hat for this prez. he just acts like they have misunderstood him all along!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

But Guz,(1) it's still in the news, every morning show had at least a mention of it, and (2) it doesn't tell anyone anything new! Everyone knew how crappy the response was, and getting caught in a lie you told the press is old hat for this prez. he just acts like they have misunderstood him all along!

Maybe its cause I have the TV in the office on Fox News that I'm not seeing anything on it. I was listening to NPR on the way to work and didn't hear aything either.

I guess I'm just dissapointed that there is no "final straw" for the fuck ups in the Bush administration. I'm convinced now that bush could shout out the entire war was a backroom deal with the oil companies to control gas prices and the news would run a story about Jennas new pet pug over it.

Do Americans like the news media simply as an entertainment source or are we just complacent on that shit cause its all they feed us?

Maybe its cause I have the TV in the office on Fox News that I'm not seeing anything on it. I was listening to NPR on the way to work and didn't hear aything either.

I guess I'm just dissapointed that there is no "final straw" for the fuck ups in the Bush administration. I'm convinced now that bush could shout out the entire war was a backroom deal with the oil companies to control gas prices and the news would run a story about Jennas new pet pug over it.

Do Americans like the news media simply as an entertainment source or are we just complacent on that shit cause its all they feed us?

clearly the American publicon the whole prefers to be entertained over informed.

clearly the American publicon the whole prefers to be entertained over informed.
    but this story could be great fodder for ratings (and entertainment). if thats all that the media is interested in, i could easily imagine a scenario with nbc sticking a wedge into this story and calling the attention it deserves to it... and then foxnews coming back with some retalliatory bullshit. and so the cycle would proceed. even if that didn't serve up 'justice' it would make the rupert murdoch and jeff zucker happy.
    (and don't say that a news story about the president lying is old and boring to the public - i preemptively disagree).
    anyway, its already the weekend so its prolly too late, i guess this is all for naught. there's a little hope that russert will cover it on meet the press.
    do you guys like russert?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

If he lost a few pounds I'd definitly tap

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

For about 5 seconds I thought that someone stuffed a dogs head and mounted it on the wall.

For about 5 seconds I thought that someone stuffed a dogs head and mounted it on the wall.

youre not the only one...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

youre not the only one...

If you made a little fake plaque for the dog to wear around its neck and move that milk crate, you could make a funny picture

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

so it's a no butt (for you) dawg?

If he lost a few pounds I'd definitly tap

guzz, you should suggest russert for the next e! news host. then he could make it apparent that bush is a fucktart and reach a wide audience. um... maybe.