that twat pete doherty

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    after reading guzzo's list though its dawned on me that the last 20 years of brittish rock have been truely AWFUL... i mean if the best the brits have is radiohead (a third rate Blur who decided to get arty and rippoff pavement then Warp), Belle And Sebastian (one listenable record and that was 8 years ago) and Travis (im surprised these blokes havent got called to write the soundtrack to bridget jones diary 3 yet).

i mean consider if you increase the time frame to 30 years.. fuck!!!

Mick Jones
    Joe Strummer
    Mark E Smith
    Julian Cope
    Ian Mccullouch
    Morriseey
    Mark Hollis
    David Sylvian
    John Foxx
    Gary Numan
    Paul Weller
    Ian Dury
    Bernard Summner
    Howard Deveto
    Elvis Costello
    Joe Jackson
    Robyn Hitchcock

the list goes on and on... and now we are left with noel and a dude named fran

please nobody bring up badly drawn boy.

Overall you make a valid point, but when you call Radiohead a third rate Blur you are, in my book, talking out of your arse good sir.

You really think? i cant even say the name 'blur' without sneering. but each to his own i guess.

as for pete fucking doherty... piss-ant.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

IMO the peak of this era of brit-pop came to its peak with OK computer dipped a bit, hit a plateau and then steadily declined the day Kid A was released.

hmm well in my mind Radiohead were always a 3rd rate / also ran to the Blur, Oasis, Supergrass, Pulp glorry days of ladism, who somehow managed to get "cool" when nobody was paying attention

i mean dont people remember when Yorke had like long BLONDE curly locks and shit?? oh my god sooooo bad.

i think this era peaked with Common People by Pulp and has been on downhill cave diving status ever since...

i remember reading a quote from thurston moore a long long time ago.. back when Aerosmith had just "come back" with pump and what have you... basically that Aerosmith were only now considered a GREAT band because everything around them in that era was even WORSE whilst they had remeained essentially the same...

seems to me that's how Radiohead snuck through... its a sad sad state of affairs when Radiohead are considered the BEST band in brittain when they were really one of the very worst from that era.

to clarify

no i do not like blur

but that doesn't preclude me from the obvious fact that they were a better band than Radiohead

if you put on Modern Life Is Rubbish i probably wouldnt ask you to turn it off... Radiohead on the other hand.. if i have to watch that fool do his ridiculous retard twitch dance one more time i think im gonna puke.

throw in that ridiculous johnny "i play me geetar so hard i gotta wear a fookin arm brace" greenwood twat and its the nail in the coffin..

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    to clarify

no i do not like blur

but that doesn't preclude me from the obvious fact that they were a better band than Radiohead

if you put on Modern Life Is Rubbish i probably wouldnt ask you to turn it off... Radiohead on the other hand.. if i have to watch that fool do his ridiculous retard twitch dance one more time i think im gonna puke.

throw in that ridiculous johnny "i play me geetar so hard i gotta wear a fookin arm brace" greenwood twat and its the nail in the coffin..

What bands from this era did you like (besides Pulp)?

I like Radiohead and Blur and think Parklife is an excellent example of what Brit-pop should be.

Radiohead dared to venture from the typical britpop blueprint and made it work. While you have your opinion many have thought differently.

Blonde hair Yorke was pretty bad (save for "Creep") but with maturity and follow up albums, particularly The Bends and OK Computer I think they found a niche and made some very enjoyable music.

to further clarify NO i do not like Pulp either..i just use that song as the milestone of that era...

i was never into brit pop in the ladism sense... i like some bits of early blur.. never bought any of the records though.

i was much more into the pre brit pop era shoegazershit of 89 - 92 , ie ride, MBV (though i still think loveless sucks), swervedriver

i'd rather listen to Weller's Wildwood than any brit pop release really.. though Supergrass's I Should Coco is alright i guess.

My best friend was mega into this shit though.. oasis, menswear, travis, the bluetones.. man every third , fourth , fith rate brit pop bad due rocked them HARD so the shit was always around.

i was too busy listening to beefheart and wire back then to really give a shit.

Radiohead i just dont get the appeal... ok computer is a masterpeace? the best song on there is Sexy Sadie oops i meant Karma Police (how did they not get sued???).

Superfurry Animals... i like that record they did in welsh... that was good.

but in retrospect America owns the brits when it comes to mid 90's alt rock...

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    you guys have gotta read the follow-up to the pete doherty story...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/188020/th...oax+all+along--

oh, and radiohead's a decent band... it's their fans that get to me.

damn this keeps getting better and better:

???One of the most difficult charades we've managed to maintain is the idea that Pete and myself haven't spoken for over a year. We've actually been fucking each other senseless on at least a weekly basis.???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    to further clarify NO i do not like Pulp either..i just use that song as the milestone of that era...

i was never into brit pop in the ladism sense... i like some bits of early blur.. never bought any of the records though.

i was much more into the pre brit pop era shoegazershit of 89 - 92 , ie ride, MBV (though i still think loveless sucks), swervedriver

i'd rather listen to Weller's Wildwood than any brit pop release really.. though Supergrass's I Should Coco is alright i guess.

My best friend was mega into this shit though.. oasis, menswear, travis, the bluetones.. man every third , fourth , fith rate brit pop bad due rocked them HARD so the shit was always around.

i was too busy listening to beefheart and wire back then to really give a shit.

Radiohead i just dont get the appeal... ok computer is a masterpeace? the best song on there is Sexy Sadie oops i meant Karma Police (how did they not get sued???).

Superfurry Animals... i like that record they did in welsh... that was good.

but in retrospect America owns the brits when it comes to mid 90's alt rock...

well if youre not into the genre than its not really fair to criticize individual groups.

I can understand and respect most shoegazing music although its not really my thing.

"Pygmalion" by Slowdive is dope as is Souvlaki

Mazzy Star & Spiritualized blur the line between the 2 types of music and I think they were both incredibly dope.

I don't get excited about My Bloody Valentine the same way I've seen other shoegazing fans do, but I just chalk that up to that genre just not being something I got into all that much.

Now we are both bitter and old(er) and hate the Libertines equally

damn these brittish whippersnappers and their tastes in music in music. Back in my day...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    My favorite part of the KLF article is the fact they "discovered" a videotape of him singing "Peggy Sue," and then framed that as somehow proving their point that he's a hoax. Comedy.

P.S. I've been on a miny Stone Roses kick lately.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

nothing wrong with that, they were the best and most talented british band of the 90s

nothing wrong with that, they were the best and most talented british band of the 90s

I don't know if I'd go that far. I'm a whiny Radiohead fan after all. But Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays made music perfect for that point in time, and it still stands up to this day. "Fools Gold" absolutely kills shit.

P.S. I can't believe I spelled mini with a "y" at the end.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

I don't know if I'd go that far. I'm a whiny Radiohead fan after all. But Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays made music perfect for that point in time, and it still stands up to this day. "Fools Gold" absolutely kills shit.

no radiohead fan here, stone roses still sounds good today, thats why i think they were the best, happy mondays were ok but not on their level in my opinion...

no radiohead fan here, stone roses still sounds good today, thats why i think they were the best, happy mondays were ok but not on their level in my opinion...

Yes, Stone Rones wins every time.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I was never a fan of Britpoop or the Shoegazing/madchester scene. But I really can't see how Radiohead, could be a second rate Blur. To me they sound nothing like each other. Blur make a verypoplighthartedmockneyupforalaughf type of music. Radiohead, make epicdepressingwe'refromasmallvillageoutsideoxfordwe'requiteposh kinda music.
    (I really should write for the nme.)
    I quite like Blur's music, but I think that Radiohead have done so much more with their sound, and spawned a million imitators. Were as Blur have always made a slightly more polished version of their last album. And as for Graham Coxon's solo efforts..

Anyway the whole by band's better than your band thing is just beyondweak.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    "Meanwhile, while you chaps are off skagging on about how bad Brit music is, I made the best record of 2000 and one of the greatest records ever. Of course, I have a vagina so no one even thinks about me at all. Thanks, a lot."

• WORD

AND PROPS TO JUDY CHICAGO TOO. REE MORTON FANS REPRESENT. OCTAVIA BUTLER IN THE HOUSE.

• But I really can't see how Radiohead, could be a second rate Blur. To me they sound nothing like each other.

Me neither, but it's hard to take anything said seriously by someone that admits this:

i'd rather listen to Weller's Wildwood than any brit pop release really..

Actually this tread is classic for so many reasons, but the main one is that I now know how laughable it must be for Americans to see non-American Strutters discussing US hip-hop.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Damon Albarn comes from my hometown and his mockney pretensions have been an endless irritant for me.

However, putting personal hatred to the side for a moment, Blur only really did one/two full albums of laddish poprock before moving on, their continual coupling with Oasis by the media ignores the fact that Gallagher only ever had one style of song (i.e. The Beatles circa 1967).

While I don't particularly enjoy their music there's no doubt that Blur have expanded on their original formula and not been afraid to experiment - the same with Radiohead. I'd rather a band progressed and tried new things than rehashed the same old shit over and over again. Plus I'd rather listen to their whole entire catalogue than sit through another Keane/Travis/Snow Patrol/Coldplay/David Gray/James Cunt softrock tune.

Oh yeah, returning to the original point, Babyshambles are shit and Pete Doherty is an untalented cunt. You can only be a tortured musical genius if you're talented, otherwise you're just a self pitying junkie Pete.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Damon Albarn comes from my hometown and his mockney pretensions have been an endless irritant for me.

However, putting personal hatred to the side for a moment, Blur only really did one/two full albums of laddish poprock before moving on, their continual coupling with Oasis by the media ignores the fact that Gallagher only ever had one style of song (i.e. The Beatles circa 1967).

While I don't particularly enjoy their music there's no doubt that Blur have expanded on their original formula and not been afraid to experiment - the same with Radiohead. I'd rather a band progressed and tried new things than rehashed the same old shit over and over again. Plus I'd rather listen to their whole entire catalogue than sit through another Keane/Travis/Snow Patrol/Coldplay/David Gray/James Cunt softrock tune.

Oh yeah, returning to the original point, Babyshambles are shit and Pete Doherty is an untalented cunt. You can only be a tortured musical genius if you're talented, otherwise you're just a self pitying junkie Pete.

Indeed, despite their pretentions blur were one of the better groups at least they experimented a bit.

I don't see radiohead as having anthing to do with the whole britpop thing & although I don't like them would rather listen to ok computer than most of the others albums.

Jarvis cocker makes me laugh, he's always genius when I see him on the telly, he presented a series on "outsider art" a while ago which was cool & seems a genuine chap.

Super furrys & the roses are the best of the bunch IMO

I've always thought oasis were dogshit, I just don't see it.

would rather listen to most of the aforementioned than all the current soft rock which makes me feel sick,
    have to listen to Radio one all day everyday at work & it drives me mad, hearing James Blunt upwards of 5 times a day is enough to make a grown man cry.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    James Cunt softrock tune.

"You're beautiful"[/b]

???someone bring me a sick bag. I get twitches when they play it on the radio.

I'm am happy to see the absence of Suede mentions in this thread. I can't stand Brett & Bernard, much less Brett & Brett.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    If we're going to have the Stone Roses in there for a 1989 album then you need this too, which was the biggest album of 1989/90.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    best thing to come out of the uk in the past years in my opinion:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    worst[/b] thing to come out of the UK EVER[/b]:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Guzzo, Boyzone are from Ireland!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    :ewef: Guzzo, Boyzone are from Ireland!

ok, well they lived close enough to contaminate the UK, The rest of europe and parts of Asia and Africa as well with their awfulness.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    best thing to come out of the uk in the past years in my opinion:

Both good LPs, but don't forget...Wiley, Mitchell Brothers, Dizzee and so on and so forth...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    the streets are straight garbage.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the streets are straight garbage.

Thank you. I thought maybe everyone missed my point earlier.