so what are the best albums of this decade so far?

Comments

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    have you heard that particular record, matt?

No. Some of it in high school from people's cars. Mostly I am just like deathly opposed to the Deftones on principals of Jncos and the way that dude holds the microphone

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    have you heard that particular record, matt?

No. Some of it in high school from people's cars. Mostly I am just like deathly opposed to the Deftones on principals of Jncos and the way that dude holds the microphone

like i said this record is pretty much an anomaly compared to the rest of their catalog (which i agree is complete shit). it's dark, almost proggy, with only the slightest hint of aggro rap rocky whatever the fuck. it's not mindblowing or anything, but it's a good rock record.

i guess it wasn't selling well, so they recorded "back to school", which was a complete regression and a remix of one of the albums other tracks, and rereleased it. then the self titled follow up was pretty much more crappy jnco rock.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Faux,

I had ATLiens but never really, really listened to it. Aquemini was the first Outkast album I sat with so I probably do fall into the category you're talking about.

I still like it more than Stankonia tho'. I'm sure if I had super Southernplayistic... I would have rolled with that since I'm mui into the singles off that album.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Faux,

I had ATLiens but never really, really listened to it. Aquemini was the first Outkast album I sat with so I probably do fall into the category you're talking about.

I still like it more than Stankonia tho'. I'm sure if I had super Southernplayistic... I would have rolled with that since I'm mui into the singles off that album.

You don't have Southernplayalistic? If not, you gotta get that...one of my favorite rap albums ever.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    is the art of the album dead? is it the downloading? why am i starting to miss the 90's so much? where are this decades "illmatics, dummys, neverminds, entroducings, ok computers"?

am i getting old?

We're all getting old, and it becomes too easy to get bitter about what was great, so we feel a need to seek something a bit more powerful and/or unique. Like a McGriddle.

If we're talking hip-hop, there have been a hell of a lot of albums in the last four years that are great, that look at the "art of the album" and take it seriously.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Dunno if I'd say these are the best of the millennium, as some could be classics and some never will be, but I'm digging these 2000+ releases, and know for a fact that they are better than Matchbox 20.

Antibalas: LIBERATION AFRO-BEAT
    Joe Bataan: CALL MY NAME
    Blue Van: THE ART OF ROLLING
    Jay-Z: THE BLUEPRINT
    Jay-Z: THE BLACK ALBUM
    Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings: NATURALLY
    Kanye West: COLLEGE DROPOUT
    W.I.T.: WHATEVER IT TAKES
    The Faint: DANSE MACABRE
    Two Dollar Pistols: YOU RUINED EVERYTHING
    The Bravery: s/t
    The Donnas: SPEND THE NIGHT
    Primal Scream: EVIL HEAT
    Primal Scream: XTRMNTR
    M.I.A.: ARULAR
    Juggy D: s/t
    Gang Starr: THE OWNERZ
    Out Hud: LET US NEVER SPEAK OF IT AGAIN
    Franz Ferdinand: s/t
    Fiery Furnaces: EP
    Blonde Redhead: MISERY IS A BUTTERFLY
    Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra: VOL. 1

There's more I'm sure (for example I still need to listen to THE B.COMING and BEAUTY AND THE BEAT a few more times before I can put them on the list). Also there's lots of albums I haven't heard like THE FIX and LORD WILLING that I'd probably like if I knew them better. I any event, not a bad group of albums for a jaded 35 year-old to still enjoy.

Faux,

You don't have Southernplayalistic? If not, you gotta get that...one of my favorite rap albums ever.

Faux,

I own it but only on vinyl and only after many, many years after it came out. I need to just burn it to CD and sit with it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    If we're talking hip-hop, there have been a hell of a lot of albums in the last four years that are great, that look at the "art of the album" and take it seriously.

But why is this a neccessary trait for a great album? I know faux wants to talk rockism, I think this is the most inane rockist concept I've ever heard. Honestly, the "art of the album" is having a bunch of great songs together. look at most classic hip hop albums, they're not high concept, they're just a bunch of great party records (the only obvious exception would be De La). Were Eric B & Rakim looking at "The Art Of The Album"? Tribe? NWA? Nah they went to the studio and when they had 12 dope tracks they put it out. Look at illmatic - legend has it that the sequencing of that record was more or less the order in which it was recorded (except for "halftime")

I mean I love I>A Book of Human Language/I> as much as the next man, but I think only a few artists are equipped to do something like that well. I couldn't imagine The Clipse trying to make a record that focuses on "the art of the album".

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    no i just think it goes to show, that for all the "RAP IS DEAD" chatter it's still a pretty relevant genre.

Relevant as hair bands in the 80s... ?????

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Is "nigga" something a cracker puts on the front page of his website?

not that this has anything to do with this thread, but i'll address it anyway...

i don't know man, i had some apprehensions about putting that up, but i had assumed most people would be familar with the context, i guess i sometimes over estimate my audience. for those unaware, it's a word for word quote from an ice-t intro. i would be less than comfortable censoring a historically outspoken like the iceman. i am equally uncomfortable putting the word "nigga" on my front page. but i think properly addresses the content of the music i write about, so i went with it.

it's not a word i say in the real world (or on the internet, for that matter). if it offends anyone it was not my intent. would it be less offensive if i were to put it in quotes and properly cite it's author?

Nice site, the intro graphics are nice. It's always a good idea to credit sources. I wouldn't want you to do anything that would ruin the intro graphicly. Since the word is likely to come up in your site via titles and lyrics you might as well leave it up as a warning. Like it says, if you are offend get the fuck out.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    no i just think it goes to show, that for all the "RAP IS DEAD" chatter it's still a pretty relevant genre.

Relevant as hair bands in the 80s... ?????

which poison album is their "The Fix"?

• this thread makes me speculate that vh1's ratings are going to fall rapidly.

Speaking of JNCOs, who here wore BOSS clothes? I know somebody did, I've still got my XXL t-shirt that says
    BOSS[/b]
    across the front, and a pair of jeans that say
    B
    O
    S
    S
    [/b]

down the leg.

I tried searching for it on google and couldn't find anything. ... All I know is that post-mid-90s that was the shizzle.

I know faux wants to talk rockism

Ha! Not really. I was doing that sh!t before Kelefa Sanneh's Times piece, but it is now passe.

In 5/05 I'm just calling a poptart a poptart.

Speaking of JNCOs, who here wore BOSS clothes?

I believe NateBizzo still wears clothes that prominently feature the word PIMP[/b].

But why is this a neccessary trait for a great album? I know faux wants to talk rockism, I think this is the most inane rockist concept I've ever heard. Honestly, the "art of the album" is having a bunch of great songs together. look at most classic hip hop albums, they're not high concept, they're just a bunch of great party records (the only obvious exception would be De La). Were Eric B & Rakim looking at "The Art Of The Album"? Tribe? NWA? Nah they went to the studio and when they had 12 dope tracks they put it out. Look at illmatic - legend has it that the sequencing of that record was more or less the order in which it was recorded (except for "halftime")

I mean I love I>A Book of Human Language/I> as much as the next man, but I think only a few artists are equipped to do something like that well. I couldn't imagine The Clipse trying to make a record that focuses on "the art of the album".

Nas, I have to disagree with you here - or maybe we're just talking about different things.

I don't advocative for hip-hop to try to straight up replicate AOR (Album Oriented Rock) and apply the same aesthetic ideals/traditions to hip-hop.

However, the idea that rap albums are "just a bunch of great party records" put together is hardly the case. You think "Low End Theory" was a bunch of 12"s? "Return of the Boom Bap"? "Straight Outta Compton?" I think since Run DMC came out, rap albums have taken the album format seriously though clearly, the 12" has still been the driving force.

Personally, I've spoken to quite a few rappers for whom sequencing is still a big deal. I don't think an album like "Whut" by Redman was randomly sequenced even if "Illmatic" was (and frankly, I really doubt that "New York State of Mind" just HAPPENED to be first on the CD just b/c it was recorded first.

In 5/05 I'm just calling a poptart a poptart.

Fauzzle, you're not even a poptart - you're a store brand toaster pastry.

I believe NateBizzo still wears clothes that prominently feature the word PIMP[/b].

That reminds me of my size 40 Pure Playa jeans that, when you unzipped them, said PLAYA[/b] down the inside fly flap.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

• undrealundreal 29 Posts

it amazes me that anybody that's heard ATLiens[/b] and Southernplayalistic would call it their favorite Outkast record.

it amazes me that anybody that's heard ATLiens[/b] and Southernplayalistic would call it their favorite Outkast record.

Cosign. Outkast pre-Andre-psychosis was dope, dope shit.

I suspect Archaic and Faux Rillz are like matter/anti-matter. If you put them in the same room, they might annihilate the universe.

I suspect Archaic and Faux Rillz are like matter/anti-matter. If you put them in the same room, they might annihilate the universe.

Actually, we agree on almost everything except lizard people and the place of Project Blowed in rap history.

And there is one album that was on both of our lists.

Actually, we agree on almost everything except lizard people and the place of Project Blowed in rap history.

Sounds like a love connection, pastry.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Nas, I have to disagree with you here - or maybe we're just talking about different things.

I don't advocative for hip-hop to try to straight up replicate AOR (Album Oriented Rock) and apply the same aesthetic ideals/traditions to hip-hop.

However, the idea that rap albums are "just a bunch of great party records" put together is hardly the case. You think "Low End Theory" was a bunch of 12"s? "Return of the Boom Bap"? "Straight Outta Compton?" I think since Run DMC came out, rap albums have taken the album format seriously though clearly, the 12" has still been the driving force.

Personally, I've spoken to quite a few rappers for whom sequencing is still a big deal. I don't think an album like "Whut" by Redman was randomly sequenced even if "Illmatic" was (and frankly, I really doubt that "New York State of Mind" just HAPPENED to be first on the CD just b/c it was recorded first.

Well the illmatic thing was an obviously extreme example. I do tend to think when anybody talks about the "art of making albums", it's probably leaning to the AOR tradition and less to things we take for granted in this day and age, like track sequencing. I obviously don't think tracklistings are just pulled out of a hat (unless you're talking about Common's I>One Day It'll All Make Sense/I>, which had the most arbitrary track order i've ever seen).

Not even funny.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Hmm, I think it's this one:

Also how could I forget these?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Not even funny.

you know faux, the other day i heard a vicious rumor that you've been working diligently to fill the gaps in your extensive collection of project blowed affiliated 12"s.

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts

has to be

achingly beautiful