so what are the best albums of this decade so far?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
it can't be that i'm getting old (i'm only 23), but i'm starting to feel a little out of the loop. a teacher at my school asked everyone to bring in what they think is the best album of the millenium so far. and i've been struggling with this for the last few days, so i want to hear some of your opinions on what some of those albums might be.i really can't remember the last time an album blew my mind from beginning to end. i was reading the quas thread and its interesting to see the different opinions on madlib. i think he is one of the more important artists of this decade, but jaylib and madvillain (although very fresh) ain't no 36 chambers... nahi'msayin? is the art of the album dead? is it the downloading? why am i starting to miss the 90's so much? where are this decades "illmatics, dummys, neverminds, entroducings, ok computers"? am i getting old?

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    didnt read the post

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    i don't know, dude. that's about how old I was when I threw in the towel.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yes it is

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    whoa i just realized who posted this. Blaz where you been?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Yeah, this post gets a WTF just on the basis of absentia.

You don't just come in after like 9 months and just post like normal, let's get a re-introduction post or something.

yeah

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i honestly feel bad when people can't find new music they love. here are some recent records that i get completely geeked off of. i mean like 12 year old me rewinding illmatic giddy. shit is absolutely incredible and near perfect hip hop music.

i'm with you on those "rap" records (specially clipse), but i'm most sad about the lack of--to quote blaz--dummys and neverminds.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i'm with you on those "rap" records

why did you put rap in quotes? is a RAP IS SOMETHING YOU DO debate brewing?

but i'm most sad about the lack of--to quote blaz--dummys and neverminds.

well i was never super into either of those records. i wouldn't mind an in utero though.

i honestly feel bad when people can't find new music they love. here are some recent records that i get completely geeked off of. i mean like 12 year old me rewinding illmatic giddy.

I haven't heard anything like that recently... I think I'm getting bored with music. Still, there were a few tracks I liked that I caught on the radio...

Most of Scarface's radio played output

I like that #1 song by Ludicris, but mostly because it reminds me of Austin Powers, and he talks about Austin Powers, and he says GET IN MAH BELLAH.

Truth Hurts "Addictive" remix was good... well, I guess you could call it Rakim's "Addictive" as I could've cared less to hear Truth Hurts' half assed sing songy mumbling.

He's My DJ is alright I guess. Lil Wayne is an ugly bastard but I like when he talks about mustard. What mustard or DJs have to do with prison (video) I'll never know, though.

Well that about raps it up.

Oh yeah a couple of those MOP songs were ok, even if MOP are really just 2 Bubbas from Forrest Gump

it's reference to said (neverending) brewing debate, a*****. how's joysie?

i'm with you on those "rap" records

why did you put rap in quotes? is a RAP IS SOMETHING YOU DO debate brewing?

Is "nigga" something a cracker puts on the front page of his website?

bwaaaaaaaahaha

doldrums IMO.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Yeah, this post gets a WTF just on the basis of absentia.

You don't just come in after like 9 months and just post like normal, let's get a re-introduction post or something.

i've been on the down low, lurking evry now and then.
    i don't have as much time nowadays to participate in the many heated discussions on this board.
    spent 6 months in europe and now i'm back in school studying audio engineering.

still digging, still making beats, puffin la and relaxin.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Actually now that I think abot I probably liked a lot of Quasimoto output more than anything I posted before........................

I don't buy new music though, so its whatever I catch.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Um, rap isn't an album-oriented genre anymore...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

not that this has anything to do with this thread, but i'll address it anyway...

i don't know man, i had some apprehensions about putting that up, but i had assumed most people would be familar with the context, i guess i sometimes over estimate my audience. for those unaware, it's a word for word quote from an ice-t intro. i would be less than comfortable censoring a historically outspoken like the iceman. i am equally uncomfortable putting the word "nigga" on my front page. but i think properly addresses the content of the music i write about, so i went with it.

it's not a word i say in the real world (or on the internet, for that matter). if it offends anyone it was not my intent. would it be less offensive if i were to put it in quotes and properly cite it's author?

i was just talking to schnipper how racial politics in blogs are the most confusing mix in the universe. i've gotten emails with everything from "how dare you write about rap music whitey?" to "i should lynch you you ignorant spook". it's really frightening. as corny as it sounds all i've ever wanted to do is share music i love not incite such hatred.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    how's joysie?

???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im a big de la fan but i couldnt bring myself to like that album. i would have bought the edan last night but dudes wanted 18 bucks for a single lp.

not that this has anything to do with this thread, but i'll address it anyway...

i don't know man, i had some apprehensions about putting that up, but i had assumed most people would be familar with the context, i guess i sometimes over estimate my audience. for those unaware, it's a word for word quote from an ice-t intro. i would be less than comfortable censoring a historically outspoken like the iceman. i am equally uncomfortable putting the word "nigga" on my front page. but i think properly addresses the content of the music i write about, so i went with it.

it's not a word i say in the real world (or on the internet, for that matter). if it offends anyone it was not my intent. would it be less offensive if i were to put it in quotes and properly cite it's author?

i was just talking to schnipper how racial politics in blogs are the most confusing mix in the universe. i've gotten emails with everything from "how dare you write about rap music whitey?" to "i should lynch you you ignorant spook". it's really frightening. as corny as it sounds all i've ever wanted to do is share music i love not incite such hatred.

It was tongue in cheek my friend, as you mentioned debate in the post i originally replied to. As far as racial politics in blogs, you're going to get douchebags with all sorts of opinions. You're a media outlet, and you'll get the same fruitcakes that write into Time or accuse the NYT of being too liberal or tell Newsweek they shouldn't discuss birth control.

It happens. No one is going to hunt you down for posting up hip hop and funk mp3s, except maybe the RIAA. Don't sweat it.

when was it?

when was it?
    The golden era.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Web address please.

On topic, the post 1999 cds that get spun in my house are by:
    Pink Martini
    Angelique Kidjo
    and Lifesavas

But that don't make them the best.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Web address please.

I usually just try this

when was it?
    The golden era.

that was an artifact if you take the whole picture.

how's joysie?

???

sorry. i thought your were/are somebody else.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I think 2000 was a pretty good year for music...As of May 10, 2005, my favorite albums of the decade (in no particular order) are Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo (if pressed, I will admit to liking the remix album better); Matchbox 20's Mad Season; OutKast's Stankonia; Sizzla's Bobo Ashanti; and I would probably throw 50 Cent's Get Rich or Die Tryin' and/or Jay-Z's Black Album for street cred/kicks. I think I would make out better on the singles front.