Rep Your Coffee Brewing Steez (NRR)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
So...for better or for worse, I've recently become a regular coffee drinker. And rather than going out every morning to *gag* Starbucks or Canvas (another local, shitty cafe around my way), I want to try home-brewing but frankly, I'm inundated with too many choices. The two leading ones, as far as I'm concerned are:French PressManual dripI lean towards the latter for its simplicity and affordability and familiarity but I've also had a lot of people suggest the French press style. Which would you choose? (Or hell, gimme other options. Just keep in mind that wifey's a tea-drinker so I don't need a 12-cup maker, just something that will get me a mug or two a day.

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    What's French Press ? You mean Senseo ?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Naw man, one of these:

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

This is the best option for you and your wife. You can make it as strong as you want and honestly, it doesn't take any extra time. I would recommend getting an actual coffee maker for when you have company. The French Press, however, is the best in that you have the best control over portions for 1-2 caffeine junkies. And how did you manage to get through school, get married, and have a kid without ever drinking that much coffee?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Another option is a percolator coffee pot. I have a Faberware and it makes a great, full-bodied cup of coffee. You can get all different sized pots too, from a two-cup to a 12-cup.

It's definitely better than most drip pots and around the same price, if not a little more expensive (like $5 or $10 more).

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dudes, fuck a plunger is all I got to say.
    Since my girl is Italian, I have never looked back, coffee-wise!

You need to get yourself one of these:

• I have one of those French Presses (I call it a plunger), and it's not bad, but I find it doesn't make the hottest coffee because you have to boil the water, then wait for it to brew. It's probably just me leaving it for too long though.

I want to get one of these percolators.

My girlfriends dad has one and they're really good.

Wreckonize batches!

Real Coffee drinkerz know the deal.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Whatever you get, just don't put that pre-ground bullshit in it.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    I've got a lil percolator too - get funky with your bean choices - columbian, timorese, indonesian, portugese etc etc sweet, dark, creamy, bitter - you name it, theres a bean which will deliver - get em ground in the shop if you ain't got a grinder at home

otherwise step it up to a little expreso machine - still uses the fresh beans but a different grind :: re home grinder, coffee is always best with freshly ground beans, so yeah, flag that pre-bagged shit down the supermarket

• Time zone differences in full effect.

1) I've heard that percolators pretty much overbrew coffee and create mediocre cups, though hot.

2) I'm not an espresso drinker.

But this is all very informative so continue!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'm all about the Turkish / Greek coffee:

:real turks/greeks/serbs know the deal:

PS - If you go to Turkey, Serbia, or Greece and call the coffee by the inapropriate name (i.e. go to Greece and call it Turkish coffee) you will get punched in the mouth.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    1) I've heard that percolators pretty much overbrew coffee and create mediocre cups, though hot.

I meant to add, you have to percolate the water thru, that is you don't crank your element to high and boil that sucka .. slow & low makes for a tastier coffee

2) I'm not an espresso drinker.

hmmmm, different terminology perhaps, by expresso I mean a straight black coffee - thats what your percolator will produce as well, add milk if you like, and sugar if you must .. all sorts of tricks to improve the home coffee experience, you can heat or even froth your own milk, pre-heat your cup with hot water et .. the key tho is the beans which you're using

lots of peeps down here rock the home expresso machine, pavoni's like the one pictured are v.popular, a few hundy buxx tho

with these puppies you get a fantatic 'crema' on top of yer brew

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    If you are the only guy drinking. Go with the cappacino maker all the way. When I'm at home a cappacino crushes a regular cup of coffee. When I go out to coffee shops though. I just grab a regular coffee because I'm too cheap to overpay for a drink that needs a team of employees to make. oh yea don't buy a dual coffee/cappacino maker. Waste of space.

Let me try to restate my original question:

I just want to brew a cup of coffee. Black, maybe with sugar and cream. I want something simple. I don't want to put dollops of frothy milk on it (ayo), I'm not trying to make a latte either.

And most importantly: I don't want to spend more than $30 to do this either.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    harr - go the percolator then - a 2 cup jobbie like those pictured above is fine

• I use a french press.

• Options
    Ok I drink coffee, it is good, but I try not to make it a regular thing. Its a natural laxative so over a long period of time it can with your patterns.

Reasons not to get any thing but the traditional Mr. Coffee pot are this:
    I will relate this to chemistry kinda...think about molecules and response to stimulus....
    Brewing coffee in a filter pot visually releases steam which is nice when it is cold
    the aroma fills the kitchen (aromaticity)
    there is even the sound of gurgling brew...all of these are nice

clean coffee is important to me...thats why i like the filter. using the filter allows all the grounds to settle in a cap (term derived from the mass of grapes that is created when making wine). steam and water is then pushed through the mass, filtered by the filter and collected in a pot that has serving labeled onit on a perfectedly heated hot plate.

• Options
    Sorry..i tried to post a pic....

iKitchen.com

• I'm pushing one of these:

So good...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Wreckonize batches!

Could never go back to electronic after having one of these in my life.

+

=

• This makes nice coffee but you drink more actual coffee residue which can get to your head and stomach. Same with perculators. I personally can't drink to much of it without having my heart beat fast and sounds of the ocean in my ear.

I use a simple coffee filter holder for manual dripage (better than a machine)

or an espresso machine.

Well, Lilmonstu already broke it down for us

• Wreckonize batches!

Could never go back to electronic after having one of these in my life.

+

=

if you use that remember to cook it with small fire and not fill up the

inoltre voi ne bevete troppo ..... you should use this to drink coffee

and remember to fill it less than half

if you use that remember to cook it with small fire and not fill up the

inoltre voi ne bevete troppo ..... you should use this to drink coffee

and remember to fill it less than half

Yeah I love the Illy cups. My dad was always a hardcore coffee lover so brought me up right. Been using these insulated cups recently:

But it just doesn't taste the same as when drunk from chunky porcelain.

• Do you heat up the Illy cup before pouring in the espresso?

Do you heat up the Illy cup before pouring in the espresso?

I can't believe I'm repping all this while drinking shitty instant coffee at work. Time to put in the effort and up my office caffeine game i think.

Do you heat up the Illy cup before pouring in the espresso?

I can't believe I'm repping all this while drinking shitty instant coffee at work. Time to put in the effort and up my office caffeine game i think.

I work at a restaurant that has pretty good coffee and it pains me to see when people come in with this

For all of you who don't know wawa it's an east coast convienence store that sells weaksauce coffee.

For all you hatters on starbucks. I wish There was one in my town. I can't get a good cup of joe when I'm on the go in a 15 mile radius.

• Rocking the French Press for the last year, and will continue to at what looks like a new job on the horizon. I did it to avoid shitty work coffee, and now I'm hooked to the ritual. The sound of the grounds hitting the glass, the sound it makes pouring into my mug... I said before in another thread, but coffee is the most consistently satisfying part of my day. It rarely lets me down.

FP is fine by me.