Post your freaky Yusef Lateef shit

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited October 2015 in Music Talk
I am down with Eastern Sounds, and you know this. But I am now ALSO down with A Flat, G Flat And C. I need more Lateef for my freaky van.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    A Flat, G Flat And C.

I'm WAY down with this one.

• OK, one of my faves is this record he cut with Donald Byrd, live in Detroit. I think it's on Argo? Shit is really.

• "Live At Peps"

• "trouble in Mind"....dont know what the OG LP it is from, I just have that collection "Re-Evaluation" with it on it...freaky.

"doctor is Out/IN" has some freakyness.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    you gotta get 'Jazz Moods' on Savoy

pure modal

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "1984"
    "The Gentle Giant"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I once went out with a girl who took me to see Yusef Lateef at Cal State LA, the opening act was Randy Weston.

I call her the one that got away

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yusef lateef "cry-tender!" is that fuggin piff

• "Eastern Sounds" and "Gentle Giant" are my favorites. But, I threw on "10 Years Hence" a couple weeks back to hear "I Be Cold". What a great-funky-jazz-dying-cow song. That is some freaky as Yusef shit there.

I have a theory that when the world ends, "African Song," from "Gentle Giant" is what they roll over the credits for Earth.

• girgir 329 Posts

cosign

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    "Live At Peps"
    "Live At Peps"
    "Live At Peps"
    "Live At Peps"
    "Live At Peps"

• "Live At Peps"
    "Live At Peps"
    "Live At Peps"
    "Live At Peps"
    "Live At Peps"

cosignoer. I prefer his Impulse material, but since I prefer anything on Impulse thats not saying much.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Blue Yusef Lateef is the only one I have, and I can't say I dislike it.

• 10 Years Hence - Awesome live record

I like Yusef Lateef a lot. I think I got rid of a couple of them last year, here's what I have left.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm sorry I missed this discussion. Right up my alley.

I think the freakiest Yusef Lateef track is on "the blue Yusef" called "moon cup" I think. It???s off the chain. Yusef is on vocals doing some sort of "Chinese" chanting. It???s one of those things that so hilariously bad, it's genius.

That said, the man is a great artist.

I celebrate his entire catalog (up to "the Drs in/out")

But overall, I have to say his Impulse dates are the best. When I was buying those Impulse records by him (late 90s early 00s), no one seemed to want them. I think I got all of them for less than $5. Do they go for money now?

Like RR Kirk, people miss one important thing hidden by all the oboe, nagaswaram, theremin and freaky stuff...

Yusef is a really great tenor sax player.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    As Fatback mentioned:

"Like It Is"

A true healing song. Can I get a witness?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    As Fatback mentioned:

"Like It Is"

A true healing song. Can I get a witness?

Amen!

Solid.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I celebrate his entire catalog (up to "the Drs in/out")

The one record of his I absolutely couldn't get with (funny enough) was his CTI release

Like RR Kirk, people miss one important thing hidden by all the oboe, nagaswaram, theremin and freaky stuff...

Yusef is a really great tenor sax player.

And both amazing songwriters at their peak, too...