Soul Strut Hurt Ass Syndrome??? Explained!

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html?tw=rss.indexThe Secret Cause of Flame WarsBy Stephen Leahy 02:00 AM Feb, 13, 2006"Don't work too hard," wrote a colleague in an e-mail today. Was she sincere or sarcastic? I think I know (sarcastic), but I'm probably wrong.According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time."That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.The researchers took 30 pairs of undergraduate students and gave each one a list of 20 statements about topics like campus food or the weather. Assuming either a serious or sarcastic tone, one member of each pair e-mailed the statements to his or her partner. The partners then guessed the intended tone and indicated how confident they were in their answers.Those who sent the messages predicted that nearly 80 percent of the time their partners would correctly interpret the tone. In fact the recipients got it right just over 50 percent of the time."People often think the tone or emotion in their messages is obvious because they 'hear' the tone they intend in their head as they write," Epley explains.At the same time, those reading messages unconsciously interpret them based on their current mood, stereotypes and expectations. Despite this, the research subjects thought they accurately interpreted the messages nine out of 10 times.The reason for this is egocentrism, or the difficulty some people have detaching themselves from their own perspective, says Epley. In other words, people aren't that good at imagining how a message might be understood from another person's perspective."E-mail is very easy to misinterpret, which not only triggers flame wars but lots of litigation," says Nancy Flynn, executive director of the e-Policy Institute and author of guidebooks E-Mail Rules and Instant Messaging Rules. Many companies battle workplace lawsuits triggered by employee e-mail, according to Flynn."People write absolutely, incredibly stupid things in company e-mails," said Flynn.

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Yet another totally useless study tha tells us something we clearly already knew. WHy dont these guys work on curing cancer or something.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Yet another totally useless study tha tells us something we clearly already knew. WHy dont these guys work on curing cancer or something.

;preparation h ass hurt graemlin:

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.

not sure this applies: I would say most of the hurriedly-typed internet battles on soulstrut have their roots in genuine inter-personal dislike/contempt, rather than misinterpretation.

• I'm pretty sure a cure for cancer isn't on the agenda of social scientists.

• "That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.

not sure this applies: I would say most of the hurriedly-typed internet battles on soulstrut have their roots in genuine inter-personal dislike/contempt, rather than misinterpretation.

What you meant to say is:

THEIR CONSTRUCT IS POORLY OPERATIONALIZED AND GOT CONFOUNDING VARIABLES, BYEACH! AND YOU CALL THAT EXTERNAL VALIDITY?

I'm pretty sure a cure for cancer isn't on the agenda of social scientists.

Well mabye they ought to put it there.

"That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.

I dont think this is true either. Most soulstrut battles happen because the internet is a really fun place to argue.

What you meant to say is:

THEIR CONSTRUCT IS POORLY OPERATIONALIZED AND GOT CONFOUNDING VARIABLES, BYEACH! AND YOU CALL THAT EXTERNAL VALIDITY?

yeah, that too.

'confounding variables' discredits most social science 'experiments' wouldn't you say?

mostly I was just thinking of all the posters who seem to sincerely hate each others guts - there are a couple smug fuckers on here who annoy me everytime I see a post from them - but what're you gonna do? go at it like iron monkey & fatback? ( that shit was hilarious though)

• I remember reading in an etiquette book when I was very young that one should never send a sarcastic letter. And one should never send an angry letter to a friend. Written exchanges should be polite, communicative and brief.
    Warmest,
    Sun

I remember reading in an etiquette book when I was very young that one should never send a sarcastic letter. And one should never send an angry letter to a friend. Written exchanges should be polite, communicative and brief.
    Warmest,
    Sun

thanks for your insightful contribution.

best,

'hawk

• What you meant to say is:

yeah, that too.

'confounding variables' discredits most social science 'experiments' wouldn't you say?

True. ahem I mean

TAKE THAT SH&T BACK TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH, SON!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I dunno about y'all, but I didn't like the tone of that article.

-e

• What you meant to say is:

yeah, that too.

True. ahem I mean

TAKE THAT SH&T BACK TO QUALITATIVE RESEARCH, SON!

dudes, i wanna be a scientist. What advice would one give to an art major ba whos interested in Gaiea theory, neuroscience, bioacoustics and other speculative garbage?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    soulstrut battles

My favorites soulstrut battles are those that involve hip hop. I don't know, they are funny.

• I dunno about y'all, but I didn't like the tone of that article.

-e

soulstrut battles

My favorites soulstrut battles are those that involve hip hop. I don't know, they are funny.

I like the ones about iraq & racism - so

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    soulstrut battles

I like the ones about iraq & racism - so

Those ones are more fun with Vitamin.

I like the ones where record dealers complain about people paying more for records.

I like the ones where record dealers complain about people paying more for records.

yes, that is a headscratcher.

• preparation of ass hurt graemlin

From Vonnegut...

[color:red] *[/b] [/color]

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OK, I just read the whole article: it's all about graemlins. Those little things can change the tone of any sentence. Am I wrong?

• OK, I just read the whole article: it's all about graemlins. Those little things can change the tone of any sentence. Am I wrong?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Mixed emotions? It's OK to be sad, shocked and then mad, mad. We are only humans.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Mixed emotions? It's OK to be sad, shocked and then mad, mad. We are only humans.

Yep, you are still my favorite poster. That Julio shit over at stronesthrow was hilarious! "My brother is my favorite poster"... hahahahah so awesome.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    preparation of ass hurt graemlin

From Vonnegut...

[color:red] *[/b] [/color]

i like the hembot.

• Yet another totally useless study tha tells us something we clearly already knew. WHy dont these guys work on curing cancer or something.

I dunno, 9/10 of your posts to be say you have a tone of "dick". Am I right?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

you need this:

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    posts to be say you have a tone of "dick".

that's what i've been trying to say but fuckers have no humor around here

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

you need this:

My wife became a graemlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

you need this:

You're a genius.

• you need this:

My wife became a graemlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you're