Tenor Saw RIP

JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
If he hadn't been killed in Texas in 1988 Tenor Saw would have celebrated his 40-year-birthday today, february 12.This thread is meant as place to remember and honor one of the greatest reggae artists of all time.R.I.P. Clive Bright 1966-88

Comments

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Ring di alarm and rest in peace!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If he hadn't been killed in Texas in 1988 Tenor Saw would have celebrated his 40-year-birthday today, february 12.

This thread is meant as place to remember and honor one of the greatest reggae artists of all time.

R.I.P. Clive Bright 1966-88

Believe it or not...

My family and I were at the Star of Ethiopia restaurant when Tenor Saw a few minutes before Tenor Saw was murdered. The owner is/was a good family friend and possibly the best Jamaican cook ever. I ended up working for the owner in high school. Now, even he is missing and no one, not even his wife, knows where he is.

We had noticed that Stanley, the owner, has wisked away all the customers through the front door until just my family and a lone, very depressed looking man (who at the time, I didn't recognize) were left. When we were finally ushered out the door, I noticed (my other family members were oblivious) that a man in a red sweatsuit (who I also didn't recognize) sitting on the hood of a mercedes was holding a glock (the first time I had seen one in person). He just sat there staring really hard into the restaurant. When we drove off, I looked back and saw him walk into the front doors. I guess the rest is all history.

Later that day, Stanley had called my mom and told her the whole story.

I'm waiting on a call from a famous local dread, another good friend of the family, who incidentally is the father of Karamo (yes homo) from the Real World. He has the story of the entire beef which culminated the day before the murder at a soundclash here.

true story.

• "Lots of Sign" almost brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it. I love the Waterhouse style and early digital sound. This is an era of Reggae that is finally starting to get its due.

RIP.

I just called the dread. He says something totally different. His version is that Tenor Saw was not murdered (we debated that one for a hot minute) and that he was drunk and attempted to cross the freeway and was found the next morning dead along 59.

He could be right, I doubt it though since the story I know is cooberated with other people's accounts.

And no one has said that the shooter was nitty gritty.

• I just called the dread. He says something totally different. His version is that Tenor Saw was not murdered (we debated that one for a hot minute) and that he was drunk and attempted to cross the freeway and was found the next morning dead along 59.

He could be right, I doubt it though since the story I know is cooberated with other people's accounts.

didnt supercat kill nitty gritty in a record store ?
    maybe kev in canada will have this info

• Options
    I just called the dread. He says something totally different. His version is that Tenor Saw was not murdered (we debated that one for a hot minute) and that he was drunk and attempted to cross the freeway and was found the next morning dead along 59.

didnt supercat kill nitty gritty in a record store ?

maybe kev in canada will have this info

I thought it was a bodega, but I too would defer to K.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I believe it was in a bodega, and classified as "self defense." Don't know the year though.

• This is according to AllMusic, not that that means this is definitive or anything:

"With such a promising start to his career, it seemed Tenor Saw would be around for quite a long time; sadly, his life was cut short in August 1988, when he was hit by a car in Houston, TX, and killed."

• Pumpkin Belly and Golden Hen are some of my faves from him, and Fever. RIP.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    nitty gritty was shot by cat in super power on church st brooklyn,
    sluggy ranks was also there

tenor saw was offical hit & run but long time
    rumors were that more was involved..........

believe it or not.....
    saw was in dc cutting some tunes for us,
    he was way paro & dry on lyrics,
    peter broggs was helping him out with them
    on exiting the old lion & fox studios in ne dc,
    saw spies a tripped out caddy with personalized tags......
    t.saw
    dude freaked, talk about lots a signs,
    checked out of the hotel
    flew to tx the next day
    2 weeks later we hear that his body was found by the side of the road/hwy
    in tx, in the weeds, a few days after a "hit & run"
    always a heap of foul play rumours
    "run come call me" is his hardest, i love that tune & dub
    nuff dances use to rock that song
    i also remember as ring tghe alarm was hitting
    dudes started requesting this "golden hen" tune,
    all new style
    a week later we got it from jet star

but run come call me is the joint !

• nitty gritty was shot by cat in super power on church st brooklyn,

No shit? I always assumed that was just a crazy rumor. More details, please!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    nitty gritty was shot by cat in super power on church st brooklyn,

No shit? I always assumed that was just a crazy rumor. More details, please!

no big secret
    some dancehall beef involving sluggy & cat's bro (jrcat?)
    from a previous dance/girl/disrespect boiled over when
    super & sluggy met up at the record shop
    story goes that sluggy's mate gritty
    (great singer but pure ruffneck gangsta)
    pulls a gun out, aims but it jams
    cat draws his licensed gun
    & shoots nitty dead
    straight up self defense

(check for super cat's "license gun" or
    sluggy's "water in mi eye" tunes for their
    respective views)

This is according to AllMusic, not that that means this is definitive or anything:

"With such a promising start to his career, it seemed Tenor Saw would be around for quite a long time; sadly, his life was cut short in August 1988, when he was hit by a car in Houston, TX, and killed."

Damn, I've been holding onto to that memory since the beginning of time because I thought it was so significant. I wonder who did get killed that day. I specifically remember it being over a soundclash the day before.