REAL TALK: Is the yay area next to blow?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Seriously, whatever your opinions on the music, please objectively weigh in on whether or not you think bay area shit will finally pop off. We all know by now that houston is set to run it for a minute. And I figure if it can finally happen in houston, why not the yay? Its like the last truly large regional independent market for rap that hasnt ever gone major in a major way. Bay area shit has a huge history and they've been doing their own thing for a minute, yet most people have no clue whats really good out there. There are those that say the bay area will never blow up, and its true that its had its chance in the past, but it seems to me that labels are hungry to push into untapped independent markets, especially with regional rap dominating the national charts. I could see that being a real west coast takeover. Nothing to do with l.a. really cause we cant get it together out here at all, but the bay area is pretty unified, and they can hustle. Its like, bay area shit gets fronted on like the south used to get fronted on. And now we running shit. but mabye its missing some really solid new talent. houston is getting large now cause of a crop of real talented relatively new artists. I can see 40 water and shit being like the bun b to the bay area, but hes not getting with any trl crowd any time soon. Is there anybody really representing out there that hasnt been around for wayyy to long, like yukmouth and shit?FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1115557098Bsides">

Is the bay area next?[/b]oh fo sho!them dudes aint never really gonna go national like that. mabye, but not anytime soon. INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">so lets hear what you guys have to say about it? If theres some new artists from that region that not everyone might have heard yet?, please drop some knowledge. Also, I know some of you guys know your bay area rap something serious, feel free to drop a list or two of the bay area albums you feel are most classic. I personally have to admit that I dont know an aweful lot about the scene other than the real obvious joints. Its possible that Ive got some holes to fill in my collection, so put me on to the game. R.I.P. Mac Dre.

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    I was watching that 30-minute segment on Houston rap on MTV yetserday and was left wondering if Sway who is from the Bay has ever been to an East Oakland sideshow.

Freakin Jazzbo, another dude from the Bay, put the piece together and damned if it didn't treat Houston as if it has never heard of what has been going down in the O for like 15 years now.

Shit is NOT that isolated....it's called Black American culture, batches.

And yes, I do think that within the past year or so that the Bay has put up enough quality material to stand side by side with the Houston blow up. DJ's just need to grow some balls already and play some Keak and San Quinn and Turf Talk and Mac Dre and The Team next to some Paul Wall, TI, and 50 Cent.

Oh yes, let me take this chance to go back to MTV and whatever else carpetbaggers want to come down here to cover the Texas scene, just to say that y'all are seemingly doing a great thing but in reality y'all are some serious scumbag bastards. Journalists from the South like Matt Sonzala and I have been pitching stories like the MTV one for years now only to be treated like shit ain't big enough to warrant national attention. Now that it has blown up to the point that it no longer can be denied...who's now covering it? Freakin New York assholes, that's who.

Seriously, if and when the Bay ever gets federal large again...I want to see Eric Arnold and Billy Jam up on MTV...not a bunch of dipshits who slept slept slept yet then in the end get paid paid paid for it.

In fact a GIANT FUCK YOU goes out to the entire establishment of the rap journalism industry. First off, y'all are still just barely scratching the surface of the Texas scene. Y'all are completely ignoring the Bay. Y'all are completely disregarding the significance of the Project Blowed 10th anniversary. And that's just the tip of the iceberg on what they are denying us as readers of so-called rap history. 50 Cent, The Game, Eminem, Dr. Dre, G-Unit...that's all we really need to know, right?

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• dude I was listening to the wake up show last night and they had them cats Self Scientific on (out of LA I think)...DAAAAYYYMMM that cat is nice on the mic! Has a lot to say too. This has nathan to do with the thread but you mentioned Sway and that reminded me. And yeah Sway ain't really all about the thug rap because of the negativity and violence and all that but I ain't mad at him for it if he's gonna keep putting dudes on like last night.

• BTW ARch:

How manny sideshows you been to?

Y'all are completely disregarding the significance of the Project Blowed 10th anniversary. And that's just the tip of the iceberg on what they are denying us as readers of so-called rap history.

Okay, okay, chill out dood. You had to sneak that sentence into a Bay Area / Texas thread turned rant against journalists, right?

Blowed is "cool" and has had some good rappers come out of here. Groundbreaking? Lifechanging? The cornerstone of rap history? I dunno. Maybe for you and Project Blowed fans.

History is largely written by the "winners" and yes, in these days that means market share and billboard rankings. One day in the year 4305 some cultural archaeologist might stumble across a "sacred" Mikah 9 album and champion its significance....

but for now I think most are happy listening to and enjoying Book of Human language.

dude I was listening to the wake up show last night and they had them cats Self Scientific on (out of LA I think)...DAAAAYYYMMM that cat is nice on the mic! Has a lot to say too. This has nathan to do with the thread but you mentioned Sway and that reminded me. And yeah Sway ain't really all about the thug rap because of the negativity and violence and all that but I ain't mad at him for it if he's gonna keep putting dudes on like last night.

It actually seemed like in the Houstoon MTV piece that Sway was purposefully acting ignorant as a way to cover all bases from square one for those that don't know. But then again, he looked like a fool riding around with Paul talking about "hey, let me try and 'chuck a deuce' at this car coming by".

Sway ain't never heard of a waving someone a peace sign????

C'mon now...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Let's get this thread back on track:

Still available

Let's get this thread back on track:

Still available

Cosign!

Highly recommended mix, don't sleep!

Y'all are completely disregarding the significance of the Project Blowed 10th anniversary. And that's just the tip of the iceberg on what they are denying us as readers of so-called rap history.

Okay, okay, chill out dood!

Blowed is "cool" and has had some good rappers come out of here. Groundbreaking? Lifechanging? The cornerstone of rap history? I dunno.

History is largely written by the "winners." In these days that means market share and billboard rankings.

Don't get me wrong, one day in the year 4305 some cultural archaeologist might stumble across a "sacred" Mikah 9 album and champion its significance, but for now I think most are happy listening to and enjoying Book of Human language.

Noone's calling them Jesus Christ...I'm just saying at least note the 10th Anniversary. At least acknowledge Rick Rock. Do a full story on Z-Ro. Visit Baltimore, Ohio, New Orleans, Dallas...or to put it in easier terms, stop acting so damned clueless.

Saying they only recognize success is a cop-out. What's really going on is some lazy ass journalism...which inlcudes refusing to bring first hand perspectives into the fold.

BTW ARch:

How manny sideshows you been to?

Enough.

And I've been to them in Oakland, LA, Houston, Austin, New Orleans, Atlanta...they're just not always called "sideshows".

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Okay, I think archaic was starting to touch on a couple interesting points, I heard a couple artists names briefly mentioned, and i was interested, but then it all seemed to be about bashing mtv and something about project blowed again. Overall pretty good replies though, were off to a good start.

but really, Its not mtv's job to blow something up, it only gets to that level after something has already blown up. sorry that pisses people off, but im talking about could the bay area get theirs finally.

oh yes, and please let me plug the Slump and grind mix that ross hog and them did, sorry I dont have any money to buy anything or Id own a copy myself, but from what I hear its the absolute truth.

It seems to me if you really wanna know about any of these dudes your only hope is really murder dog magazine. But why? Why has the bay been shut out of the mainstream for so long?

PLEASE dont derail this thread with some bullshit argument though.

thanks.

Okay, I think archaic was starting to touch on a couple interesting points, I heard a couple artists names briefly mentioned, and i was interested, but then it all seemed to be about bashing mtv and something about project blowed again. Overall pretty good replies though, were off to a good start.

but really, Its not mtv's job to blow something up, it only gets to that level after something has already blown up. sorry that pisses people off, but im talking about could the bay area get theirs finally.

oh yes, and please let me plug the Slump and grind mix that ross hog and them did, sorry I dont have any money to buy anything or Id own a copy myself, but from what I hear its the absolute truth.

It seems to me if you really wanna know about any of these dudes your only hope is really murder dog magazine. But why? Why has the bay been shut out of the mainstream for so long?

The gist of what I was saying is that rap media outlets need to stop treating rap like it's a novelty to be patronized and looked down upon. Leave that bullshit to Rolling Stone.

Seriously, what do we do when 75% of today's so-called rap-proponents have missed the boat as almost badly as the hippies/alt-rockers have. So many folks strayed away from hood-rap for so long, that now that it is undeniably the now thing...they are showing their true colors looking like damned beginners. Yet in most cases they're still the ones telling the stories.

And this is hardly about me or Project Blowed here. I'm frankly sick of hearing about my ace Matt Sonzala getting ripped off by these NYC fuckers.

Noone's calling them Jesus Christ...I'm just saying at least note the 10th Anniversary. At least acknowledge Rick Rock. Do a full story on Z-Ro. Visit Baltimore, Ohio, New Orleans, Dallas...or to put it in easier terms, stop acting so damned clueless.

Saying they only recognize success is a cop-out. What's really going on is some lazy ass journalism...which inlcudes refusing to bring first hand perspectives into the fold.

Yes, I agree. The problem isn't necessarily lazy ass journalism, I think its simply the nature of the beast. This is MTV we are talking about, not a regionally focused publication. They are trying to do as much as they can while doing business with record companies and those who put food on their table. That's it.

Journalists like Matt Sonzala and you will always have the scoop because you live there, you know these people and who's who. MTV could never compete with you in terms of knowing what's up. If you don't like that they didn't cover Z-Ro, write a column or put up a blog about it. A grassroots effort will continue to impact the scene and what will be covered in the future.

The fact that big media is even considering other regions means these growing fanbase/sales/markets can't be ignored. I think this is a great thing. So regarding the Bay Area, I think it might take a minute.

• peace

piece

The gist of what I was saying is that rap media outlets need to stop treating rap like it's a novelty to be patronized and looked down upon. Leave that bullshit to Rolling Stone.

Seriously, what do we do when 75% of today's so-called rap-proponents have missed the boat as almost badly as the hippies/alt-rockers have. So many folks strayed away from hood-rap for so long, that now that it is undeniably the now thing...they are showing their true colors looking like damned beginners. Yet in most cases they're still the ones telling the stories.

And this is hardly about me or Project Blowed here. I'm frankly sick of hearing about my ace Matt Sonzala getting ripped off by these NYC fuckers.

man, sometimes I cant even figure out what you're mad about. LOL at "hood rap" being undeniably the "now thing" though.

Lets talk about some artists, nobody cares about rap journalists.

I am enjoying their work with E-A-Ski.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    all I know is I saw no less than four dudes at my high school walking down the hall doing the Thizzle Dance yesterday and we're in San Diego. I say the Bay is creepin on a come up.

rest in peace! it's really sad to me that Dre died on the cusp of blowing up like this.

I am enjoying their work with E-A-Ski.

Yeah, but I'm also really enjoying Left's beats. Except for the hackneyed Sabbath rip ("Iron Man" again?), they're pretty dope rock-based joints.

I saw them briefly at Hip-Hop in The Park yesterday and they announced a new album dropping next week, I think. I like their new single "Bang It," but peacefulrotation may be willing to sell his copy to you.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Seriously, if and when the Bay ever gets federal large again...I want to see Eric Arnold and Billy Jam up on MTV...not a bunch of dipshits who slept slept slept yet then in the end get paid paid paid for it.

In fact a GIANT FUCK YOU goes out to the entire establishment of the rap journalism industry. [/b]
    word...
    Blow up defined by what?--endorsed by Clear Channel etc. a.k.a. SoulSuckers Inc.? don't know, don't care, but the shit that comes out of the bay is off the hook and will continue to be if it's legit...the sleepers, in my opinion, can eat poop...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im wondering if the bay has a recognizable/formulaic sound that can be packaged
    as THE BAY AREA sound.
    Miami-bass
    Houston-krunk
    U.K.-grime

It cant be an L.A. doppleganger either. Were talkin clearly distinctive.

Is the Murs Hustler RMX a good example of Bay mcs?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Is the Murs Hustler RMX a good example of Bay mcs?

No.

Of course, E-40 is the definition of Bay Area MC's, but Murs is undeniably L.A., John Cena is more East Coast than anything, and Chingo Bling is puro Tex-Mex. (Just to brag a bit, I'm the reason the Murs/Chingo thing happened in the first place.)

If you're really interested in Bay Area Hip Hop, I would pick up that Slump & Grind CD that some DJ dudes from out there (probably some Philipino guys).

Herm

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Would happen if a major/established artist attached themself to some artists crew, like Jay Z got with Philly dudes Free and Beans and whatnot, helping push the Philly thing further? That would be decent.

The Bay is definitely up to bat though.

Would happen if a major/established artist attached themself to some artists crew, like Jay Z got with Philly dudes Free and Beans and whatnot, helping push the Philly thing further? That would be decent.

Well, if that Lil Jon-produced E-40 album really happens*, we could very likely see the Bay scene blow up.

*Plaese, plaese, plaese let this happen.

• Slump and grind mix that ross hog and them did

I kinda feel like certain Bay artists, Frisco folks in particular have been coming up for so long and if they were to blow up it would've happened by now. I was listening to San Quinn and JT in high school, when San Quinn and D-Moe were at Washington (right, P-Ro?) and it's been over ten years and they are still stricly local. If the Bay blows, it's gonna be E-40, he's been so close for so long, but a lot of people hate his style. I think a lot of people are turned off to the Bay steez.

And is it just me, or is Keak the Sneak not the reincarnation of Cougnut?

Well, if that Lil Jon-produced E-40 album really happens*, we could very likely see the Bay scene blow up.

*Plaese, plaese, plaese let this happen.

but what if it does happen and we all just become salty like Archaic?

"Oh MTV doesn't know shit! If you like JT but not IMP, you suck. I am God of the Bay, thou shall bow before me and I Bayknowledgy"

• Naw, I dinnit go to Wash but my hyphie wiphy did

My fave memory from those days was 4-Tay always driving up and down my block in a big pink Caddy...oh and those sequin hats that every cat in the Fillmore used to rock. Remember those? Personalized caps 'n dogs...the baller on my block had one that read "BUMPY MAC"