Eerie Minimal Soul

2»

Comments

• You've probably already heard these, but I had to add them:

"The Goose" by Parliament has that drum machine and is definately creepy. It's a little long, though. "All Your Goodies Are Gone" is on the same album; it doesn't have that drum sound but it's pretty minimalist and definately eerie.

• Anyone have a discog on this lady? I have a 12" called Deep Inside You and it is next next next level.

"Brother Less Than A Man/ Blue Glass Bubbles" (House Guests 101)
    "Born A Woman/ Do Your Duty" (King Soul 865)
    "Do Your Duty/ Freedom" (Whizenglo 601) 1969
    "Poor Unfortunate Me/ You Might Need Me Another Day" (King Soul 493)
    "You Got To Pay Your Dues/ Loving You And Being Loved By You" (Silver Fox SF-14) 1970
    "Grounded/ Pt. 2" (Silver Fox SF-19) 1970

Ms. Taylor also has 45s on Mercury, Columbia, and Glo-Whiz, but I don't have time to dig those details up.
    The "Deep Inside You" 12-inch is indeed very, very good.
    She was married to Walt Whisenhunt, which explains why she was produced by him on every 45 she did.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cresa Watson - Dead

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Less minimal in terms of the instruments used, but definitely eerie:

World that's Not Real

• Cresa Watson - Dead

Versions I know of:

Phyllis Brown "Dead/ Mrs. Bean" (Soft S-1037)
    Edith Jones "I Don???t Care No More/ You Lay So Easy On My Mind" (Le Cam 316)
    Carolyn Sullivan "Dead/ Wow" (Soft 1020)
    Carolyn Sullivan "Dead!/ Wow" (Philips 40507)
    Cresa Watson "Dead/ Alpine Winter" (Charay C-91)
    Cresa Watson "Dead/ Alpine Winter" (Charay 45-700)
    Sons of Moses "Deviled Egg/ Alpine Winter" (Bix BI-102)
    Cutty Sark "Dusty/ Dusty (Inst.)" (Zuma 652)
    Cutty Sark "Dusty/ The Night of Phantom" (Zuma 652)
    Zuma "Dusty/ Inst." (Zuma 652)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Cresa Watson - Dead

Versions I know of:

Phyllis Brown "Dead/ Mrs. Bean" (Soft S-1037)
    Edith Jones "I Don???t Care No More/ You Lay So Easy On My Mind" (Le Cam 316)
    Carolyn Sullivan "Dead/ Wow" (Soft 1020)
    Carolyn Sullivan "Dead!/ Wow" (Philips 40507)

The Carolyn Sullivan, that's the one I got. The pressing on Philips where they added an exclamation point (!) to the title. Nice touch. Never knew this song had so many cover versions. (Isn't there another one on that old Blue Thumb compilation, Lights Out: San Francisco?) Never heard the others, but Carolyn's is just a plain ole small combo, with a simple organ grind in the background while Sullivan does her little...rap? Monologue? She's not singing, just mournfully talking about how her love is dead, or she's gonna shoot herself dead, or something. I don't know where that flipside ("Wow") came from; it's this great honkin'-sax R&B instrumental that sounds like it was recorded ten years earlier (love it when the sax player holds a note for forever and a day - Toussaint McCall's "Shimmy" had nothing on "Wow").

• SWEET AND INNOCENT

are you talking about the band 9on the Active label) or the song? if you are talking about the band...there are at least 2 45s I know of...in fact a part-time strutter just got the reels of their entire recordings a couple weeks ago

• JP-- Every one of these Major Bill Smith-produced versions of "Dead" uses the exact same backing track, but each has different vocals and/or overdubs.

And there is a version on the Voco Sampler.

• SWEET AND INNOCENT

are you talking about the band 9on the Active label) or the song? if you are talking about the band...there are at least 2 45s I know of...in fact a part-time strutter just got the reels of their entire recordings a couple weeks ago

The band, and would that man be Coolhands?

Ari, I want that extra. Put together with Birigwa and let's get this cracking. Still lots of reggae about.

JS

• i wish....

i'd love to hear any other recording by this group.

tho i will take credit for introducing several strutters to this record.

J- talk to nrich too. he has some copies.

i still have the other active 45. willing to trade it for any eerie soul. you do want it if you are fans of this genre.

• Coolhands do you still have a soundclip about for that other one?

Thanks for the scoop.