Eerie Minimal Soul

lepoohpoohlepoohpooh 296 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
can't believe I've never heard this before--can anyone reccomend something in a similer vein? obviously, raerity is not a factor...

Comments

• I believe they recently reissued his LP if you're interested.
    Have seen it on some online sites...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

can't believe I've never heard this before--can anyone reccomend something in a similer vein? obviously, raerity is not a factor...

HAHAHA, that track is SO SICK!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I believe they recently reissued his LP if you're interested.
    Have seen it on some online sites...

I think I have a spare original copy in my crates, I'll check when I get home

• paypal me $11 and i will mail you a NM OG of the LP.
    hit me on the PM if you are interested.

• so... I'm guessing the lp has similar tracks on it?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Whhhaaattt!!!!!???

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    so... I'm guessing the lp has similar tracks on it?

the whole LP has that minimal drum machine beat and Glades/ TK/ Cat/ etc Florida sound

the whole LP has that minimal drum machine beat and Glades/ TK/ Cat/ etc Florida sound

thanks for the info, guzzo

• Badass sound for sure.

Matter of fact, I believe Timmy Thomas is the only musician on it! Just that big ole console organ and the drum machine (probably built-in)...

I should mention here that he has other albums besides Why Can't We Live Together. What I've heard here & there has full instrumentation, although every now and then that funky rhythm machine can be heard (like on his song "Sweet Brown Sugar").

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    I'll add my endorsement to this album. I never get tired of it.

As far as other things like it, that Shuggie Otis reissue should still be easy to get, at least on cd. He also did some excellent drum machine-based songs.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Check the Little Sister 45's on the Stoneflower label, too.

They are pretty easy to find - there are a couple of much rarer titles on there, too, that have the same sound, so pretty much anything you find
    on Stoneflower, grab it.

• can't believe I've never heard this before--can anyone reccomend something in a similer vein? obviously, raerity is not a factor...

Dude! Come one! Hook us up with an MP3!

• I'll add my endorsement to this album. I never get tired of it.

As far as other things like it, that Shuggie Otis reissue should still be easy to get, at least on cd. He also did some excellent drum machine-based songs.

yeah, oddly enough, I've heard plenty shuggie otis. While he's incredible in his own right, most of his songs are pretty lush, and don't have that sort of heartbreakingly weird minimal sound of "why can't we.." although I doubt many tracks do, but it doesn't hurt to ask..

yeah, oddly enough, I've heard plenty shuggie otis. While he's incredible in his own right, most of his songs are pretty lush, and don't have that sort of heartbreakingly weird minimal sound of "why can't we.." although I doubt many tracks do, but it doesn't hurt to ask..

Look out for "Tea Box" by Simtec Simmons - this single was a hit in Chicago in 1967, on the Maurci label. Guitar, bass, and the crudest drum machine in the history of history. Nothing lush about this one. It's an instrumental, and definitely a precursor to the Timmy Thomas sound you're looking for.

As far as Little Sister, "Stanga" (flip of "Somebody's Watching You") definitely has a minimalist sound, but nothing like Thomas (or Simmons).

• Check the Little Sister 45's on the Stoneflower label, too.

They are pretty easy to find - there are a couple of much rarer titles on there, too, that have the same sound, so pretty much anything you find
    on Stoneflower, grab it.

shit...you just reminded me I have one of those (more straight up funkish ?)

definitey have to pick up some more

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Nice cover of "Close to You":

Detroit acetate

Less minimal in terms of the instruments used, but definitely eerie:

World that's Not Real

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

As far as Little Sister, "Stanga" (flip of "Somebody's Watching You") definitely has a minimalist sound, but nothing like Thomas (or Simmons).

I don't know if I'd say "nothing like."

That accompaniment on "Stanga" seems pretty similar to
    the 1st Thomas LP to me - and the male vocal track on Stoneflower
    that uses (virtually) the same backing track...

Look out for "Tea Box" by Simtec Simmons - this single was a hit in Chicago in 1967, on the Maurci label. Guitar, bass, and the crudest drum machine in the history of history. Nothing lush about this one. It's an instrumental, and definitely a precursor to the Timmy Thomas sound you're looking for.

yes...now we're getting to the nitty gritty, would that be simtec of simtec and wylie, out of curiousity?

and yeah, stanga is the little sister 45 I have, but it must be a later issue...has mono on one side and stereo on the other.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I tend to lump Little Beaver in with that sound. "Party Down" on OG 45 is still $5-$10 last I've seen.

• As far as Little Sister, "Stanga" (flip of "Somebody's Watching You") definitely has a minimalist sound, but nothing like Thomas (or Simmons).

I don't know if I'd say "nothing like."

That accompaniment on "Stanga" seems pretty similar to
    the 1st Thomas LP to me - and the male vocal track on Stoneflower
    that uses (virtually) the same backing track...

just pulled out the stanga, and it definitely has the same instruments (+guitar), but the mood is totally different. still bad ass, but it's more defiant and funky..

• Less minimal in terms of the instruments used, but definitely eerie:

World that's Not Real

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Cresa Watson - Dead

• Look out for "Tea Box" by Simtec Simmons - this single was a hit in Chicago in 1967, on the Maurci label. Guitar, bass, and the crudest drum machine in the history of history. Nothing lush about this one. It's an instrumental, and definitely a precursor to the Timmy Thomas sound you're looking for.

yes...now we're getting to the nitty gritty, would that be simtec of simtec and wylie, out of curiousity?

Same guy, before he hooked up with Wylie Dixon.

• SWEET AND INNOCENT

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Same guy, before he hooked up with Wylie Dixon.

I thought it was the other Simtec.
    Heh.

But this is the same Willie Dixon:

• I thought it was the other Simtec.
    Heh.

yeeah yeeah...

• Less minimal in terms of the instruments used, but definitely eerie:

World that's Not Real

Anyone have a discog on this lady? I have a 12" called Deep Inside You and it is next next next level.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    SWEET AND INNOCENT
    SWEET AND INNOCENT
    SWEET AND INNOCENT
    SWEET AND INNOCENT

i believe i still have a spare of this one....