Ever used a Dream Machine?

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone ever used or built Brion Gysin's Dream Machine? It's a device invented by Brion Gysin (inventor of the "cut-up" technique), made from a cylinder, a lightbulb, and a turntable that plays 78's... The Dreamachine was conceived by artist painter and writer Brion Gysin, along with his friend Ian Sommerville, in the early sixties. It is the first object in history designed to be viewed with closed eyes. The Dreamachine simply consist in a cylinder with holes cut into his sides, placed on a turntable rotating at the speed of 78RPM. A lightbulb is suspended in the center of the cylinder and the rotation lets the light come out from the holes at a constant frequency, situated between 8 and 13 pulses per second. This frequency range corresponds to the so-called 'alpha waves', electrical oscillations present in human brain while dreaming.The Dreamachine is viewed with the eyes closed: the pulsating light stimulates the optical nerve and alters the brain's electrical oscillations - the viewer enters in a dream-like state.http://www.10111.org/dreamachine/index.html#publicJust discovered this shit... and wanna build one, so wondering if anyone uses or has used one.Peace...FNM

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yes .. shit is mad trippy

hash helps

• yes .. shit is mad trippy

hash helps

Yeah, alot of the shit I been reading on the internets says that it's a "way to have a psychedellic experience drug-free".

And I'm tinking... fuck that. This thing sounds like it would work alot better with some mental enhancement beforehand (not necessary, but probably useful).

Peace...
    FNM

• Vinyl cutter is tracing me one now... gonna try that tonight. I love this kind of stuff, its my inner/repressed science camp kid trying to get out.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Vinyl cutter is tracing me one now... gonna try that tonight. I love this kind of stuff, its my inner/repressed science camp kid trying to get out.

holla when u get it set up so i can come peep it dun!

peace.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Rumor is Kurt Cobain spent the last few days of his life holed up in his home staring at one while flipping on Herroin. The electrician that found him came into the room with the thing still spinning

• Rumor is Kurt Cobain spent the last few days of his life holed up in his home staring at one while flipping on Herroin. The electicial that found him came into the room with the thing still spinning

From what I've read, that was a rumor started by some people to take heat off others that were being implicated... Possibly Courtney Love. That the "F.riends U.nderstanding K.obain" group that was disseminating this info was a non-existant group.

Also, from what I've read, the dream machine was never mentioned in any police reports, and no pictures of the scene of the suicide include the device.

But what do I know...

Peace...
    FNM

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    does anyone have any more information on making this thing?

• does anyone have any more information on making this thing?

dude just peep the link. I knocked up a template in Illustrator and just set the vinyl cutter to cut me one score some acrylic so i can punch out the holes. Im sure you could just hand cut it out of card tho too. Add a 78rpm turntable and raw bulb and your done.

dude just peep the link. I knocked up a template in Illustrator and just set the vinyl cutter to cut me one score some acrylic so i can punch out the holes. Im sure you could just hand cut it out of card tho too. Add a 78rpm turntable and raw bulb and your done.

You are damn crafty, my friend... In the time it took you to do that, I was trying to to work out inches to centimeter conversion, and trying to figure out how to say "poster board" in Japanese.

Peace...
    FNM

You are damn crafty, my friend... In the time it took you to do that, I was trying to to work out inches to centimeter conversion, and trying to figure out how to say "poster board" in Japanese.

Peace...
    FNM

Thanks man, never underestimate the bored designer! Plus i ijust switched the program to inches, i would still be counting otherwise. Shit like this gets me through the weekdays. I'll drop a scale template in when i get back on the print rooms computer later today.

Peace...
    FNM

Thanks man, never underestimate the bored designer! Plus i ijust switched the program to inches, i would still be counting otherwise. Shit like this gets me through the weekdays. I'll drop a scale template in when i get back on the print rooms computer later today.

Word! Good lookin' out, mang...

• I have one. Good with or without the herb. I was using it upwards of 75 min. per night a few years back. It's been in action only a few times since I moved into my condo, however. If everyone used this nightly instead of the murdervision, we'd be a pretty amazing population.

Another great tool for programming the human biocomputer. And cheap to make too.

• Here are the plans .ai illustrator file, version CS1

Adobe Illustrator Plans

and as a to scale lo-res jpg for the rest of you guys.

Lo-res jpg

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    nice one! someone make a video of this in action!

peace.

• Funny, I always regarded DJ Sheeps avatar as a "Dream Machine"