Charles Burnett:Killer of Sheep

Rod_TorfulsonRod_Torfulson 464 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Has anyone here seen this? Probably college film dept. would be the only way. Supposed to be finally coming out on DVD this summer, Here's a link:http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/03/burnett.html

Comments

• I think a strong case can be made that Charles Burnett is the most gifted and important black filmmaker this country has ever had. But there's a fair chance you've never heard of him???

???Jonathan Rosenbaum

The least well-known great American filmmaker.
    ???Armond White

If [Killer of Sheep] were an Italian film from 1953, we would have every scene memorized.
    ???Michael Tolkin

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    amazing film. also seek out his early '90s police thriller The Glass Shield, not great but has a lot going for it.

• Word. I vaguely remember it coming out. Should have it on Netflix.

• It's coming out on dvd finally? Who's releasing it?

I spoke with the people at Kino (I think) a few years ago and they were trying to put it out but were having trouble clearing music or something.

• I think a strong case can be made that Charles Burnett is the most gifted and important black filmmaker this country has ever had. But there's a fair chance you've never heard of him???

???Jonathan Rosenbaum

The least well-known great American filmmaker.
    ???Armond White

If [Killer of Sheep] were an Italian film from 1953, we would have every scene memorized.
    ???Michael Tolkin

i'll cosign. but sometimes they can be a lil drawn out and heavy handed

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    had the chance to check this movie out.

really is excellent.