Take this shit from Okayplayer.com!!!

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Phonte from LITTLE BROTHER speaks on SOUTHERN HIP-HOP"Lil Wayne speaks so well B/W The South = Atlanta"
If Dwayne cater was from New York City, nobody would care about that nigga right now yo....and that's fucked up.Wayne's renewed popularity, to me, is just like that Chris Rock joke about white people saying "he speaks so well" when referring to Black People. What the fuck y'all think...niggas can't read or some shit....?That's exactly what I think when I hear niggas who LOATHED Cash Money 5 years ago, rave about how hot Wayne is now. If wayne was from NYC, he'd be just another mixtape nigga doing his best Jigga impersonation that nobody cared about.But because he's from the South, y'know the home of niggas bouncin' and shootin' and killin and shit with them ugly ass cups and backwater ass rhymes all of a sudden its yo' that nigga's crazy, son...he's a South nigga but he be spittin' though....'What kinda reverse discrimination shit is that yo?I fucks w/Wayne because I feel he IS bringing lyricism back to the SOUTH, and it pisses me off to see niggas look at him like a goddamn freak show and shit. Like "Wow, a nigga from the South who can actually speak in complete sentences...with subject-verb agreement and everything!"And much like, ahem, Little Brother, Cunninlinguists, Strange Fruit, and half the niggas on this board, I think he's gonna always be subjected to the "He Speaks So Well" syndrome from outside the South.Cut that shit out, yo. Niggas from the South ain't all 6 degrees of Lil' Jon..And speaking of the South...that brings me to the b-side of this post"*turns record over*A note to all my follow Southerners: When you hear niggas say shit like the South is fucking up hip-hop or any variations thereof, they're only talking about ATtlanta.In today's times: The South = AtlantaDon't believe me? Let's run down the line yo:1. They're NOT taling about Houston. Niggas like Face, Bun, Geto Boys, and Devin are legends who can actually fucking spit and have tons of respect in all circles. And what Devin lacks in lyricism, he more than makes up for it in humor, presence, singing, and charisma. And you could preety much say the same for the rest of the Houston's underground (Paul, Cham, Slim, Screwed Up Click, ESG, Lil' Keke, Z-Ro, etc...) Ain't nobody mad at Houston.*bangs gavel*2. They're NOT talking about about Louisiana. No Limit is no more, and Cash Money is on its last legs save for Lil' Wayne (who speaks so well). They ain't mad at the N.O. no mo.*bangs gavel*3. They're NOT talking about Memphis. Yeah, Three Six/Hypnotize Minds have their share of ig'nant shit, but they were NEVER celebrities. "Stay Fly" is the closest they've ever come to Lil Jon-tyoe success and/or visibility, and nobody could front on that shit because it was so, well, fly. paul and Juicy are the best producers this side of Mannie Fresh and '97 era Beats By The Pound. Go on and cue up that Playa Fly CD homie, cause aint nobody mad at Memphis.*bangs gavel*4. They're NOT talking about Miami. The Booty era is no more, and even when Luke and 'nem was poppin, it just made the girl dance real fast and made niggas want to fuck. Everybody left the club sweaty, happy, and horny. How could anyone be mad at that?*bangs gavel*5. They're NOT talking about Carolinas because aside from Petey Pablo and 9th Wonder, we dont exist. Can't be mad at somebody you dont even know.*Bangs gavel*Atlanta is one of the most loved AND hated cities in hip-hop right now.What other Southern city can give you a T.I. AND a Young Jezzy; tow cats who address the 'trap' from two totally different angles, and one with so much morek skill and finesse than the other?What other city in the South can give you the Soulful meditations of Dugeon Family, then turn right around give you something as Nigtastic as 'Laffy Taffy?'The Answer is quite obvious.So, to all my NC and SC brethren....don't get upset when the South takes some SERIOUS industry backlash in '06.They don't hate the whole South, they just hate Atlanta.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    he's got a lot of points.

is it just me or does the "he speaks so well" thing...well nevermind

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Faux Rillz is gonna have a seizure when he reads this.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    how does a man so connected with stereotypical caricatures the streets take this news?

I sense a future soulstrut classic

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    What other Southern city can give you a T.I. AND a Young Jeezy; two cats who address the 'trap' from two totally different angles, and one with so much more skill and finesse than the other?

hmmm....Jeezy or TI?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

yup. but they don't really come together to form any coherent thought process b/w what the fuck is talking about?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    huh, so thats where Petey Pablo is from.

Other than that,

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

yup. but they don't really come together to form any coherent thought process b/w what the fuck is talking about?

I think the point that the South = Atlanta is fairly valid. Of course, if you combine all of those misc locale rappers you wind up with a big group of non-Atlanta crap rappers. Although it seems like they all end up funnelling throw Atlanta somehow, some way.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

aside from not including Houston with Atlanta = the south he seemed on point to me

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I think the point that the South = Atlanta is fairly valid. Of course, if you combine all of those misc locale rappers you wind up with a big group of non-Atlanta crap rappers. Although it seems like they all end up funnelling throw Atlanta somehow, some way.

yeah you're right. i think i just got frustrated and then that turned to anger because i didn't get any records this weekend
    that and i don't agree with his point about lil wayne. weezys definitely getting a lot more shine with this album but i dont hear folks talking about how eloquent or well-spoken he is. dude seems like he is harboring some issues or something.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

*Bangs gavel*
    Yo, we need a gavel graemlin ASAP.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    He sounds asshurt.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If you're not REALLY REALLY familiar with southern hip hop (which Phonte obviously is not), that post makes sense. More miss than hit.

Please please please bring back the :GHEY: graemlin just this once for Phonte and his ignorance.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Who is Phonte ?

Who is Phonte ?

exactly.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

He knows more about southern rap than I do!

Who is Phonte ?

Somebody that covets Weezy's acclaim.

• Guzzo sounds asshurt.

Who is Phonte ?

Somebody that covets Weezy's anyone with acclaim.

I will admit to liking "The Listening" however.

The horror

how does a man so connected with stereotypical caricatures the streets take this news?

I sense a future soulstrut classic

I wasn't going to address this, because I am really trying to avoid interacting with you--you're like something unpleasant and sticky that I wouldn't even want to step on--but I really can't let it go.

You little dudes really need to move past this accusation because it's an embarassing reflection of your own racism.

Please recognize that the description you apply to a lot of the Southern hip-hop that I enjoy is your perception of it and is not one shared by anybody that actually listens to it.

I don't listen to Eightball & MJG, UGK, Trick Daddy or T.I. because I have an insatiable hunger for "stereotypical characters"--I listen to those artists because, among other things, they are responsible for some of the most soulful, thoughtful and, yes, "conscious" hip-hop ever recorded.

If you choose not to recognize that, then you are the one with the problem.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Who is Phonte ?

Somebody that covets Weezy's anyone with acclaim.

I will admit to liking "The Listening" however.

The horror

your panties is showing.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. Lil Wayne isn't really known for speaking all that well.
    2. People who want to even entertain the idea that Lil Wayne is merely a by-product of Jay-Z make me want to spit.
    3. Plenty of folks hate on Houston, New Orleans, and Memphis much more than they hate on Atlanta just for the sole fact that the living, breathing exception to their blanket hate -> Outkast is from Atlanta.
    4. Widespread backlash and disdain against Southern rap is what Southern rap has recently overcome...not something that hasn't existed before that's just about to bare its ugly head.

In short, Phonte makes no sense.

This is definitely going to be a 5 pager. at least.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Phonte makes no sense.

I'll play, even though my opinion doesn't matter.

If Dwayne cater was from New York City, nobody would care about that nigga right now yo....and that's fucked up.
    Thats probably true.

niggas who LOATHED Cash Money 5 years ago, rave about how hot Wayne is now.
    I agree with that.

A note to all my follow Southerners: When you hear niggas say shit like the South is fucking up hip-hop or any variations thereof, they're only talking about ATtlanta.
    I wouldn't know, but I don't think so?

In today's times: The South = Atlanta
    I wouldn't know.

1. They're NOT taling about Houston. Niggas like Face, Bun, Geto Boys, and Devin are legends who can actually fucking spit and have tons of respect in all circles. And what Devin lacks in lyricism, he more than makes up for it in humor, presence, singing, and charisma.
    I would agree with that. I don't really know anything about Bun, and technically face and the geto boys is the same thing. But I like them and Devin a lot.

And you could preety much say the same for the rest of the Houston's underground (Paul, Cham, Slim, Screwed Up Click, ESG, Lil' Keke, Z-Ro, etc...) Ain't nobody mad at Houston.
    Well, I don't know about this list. I think paul wall is a nerd, and the rest of them I dont really think I've ever heard/ hear of.

4. They're NOT talking about Miami. The Booty era is no more, and even when Luke and 'nem was poppin, it just made the girl dance real fast and made niggas want to fuck. Everybody left the club sweaty, happy, and horny. How could anyone be mad at that?
    Did anybody ever consider miami to be "the south"? I never did.

5. They're NOT talking about Carolinas because aside from Petey Pablo and 9th Wonder, we dont exist. Can't be mad at somebody you dont even know.
    I suppose so.

Atlanta is one of the most loved AND hated cities in hip-hop right now.
    Only the internet hates atlanta. TV, radio, magazines, etc have a hard on for anything that comes from atlanta.

What other Southern city can give you a T.I. AND a Young Jezzy; tow cats who address the 'trap' from two totally different angles, and one with so much morek skill and finesse than the other?
    I have to admit, I don't know which one he is saying is supposed to be better than the other. According to soulstrut they are both geniuses. And I've never heard either of them, so I have no place to comment.

What other city in the South can give you the Soulful meditations of Dugeon Family, then turn right around give you something as Nigtastic as 'Laffy Taffy?'
    What other city? Fuck if I know. Any other city?

don't get upset when the South takes some SERIOUS industry backlash in '06.
    I don't see that happening.

well, there's my 2 cents. I figure if this is going to be a 20 pager I might as well jump in.

Phonte makes no sense.

talking about southern rap on okayplayer is like talking about politics on soulstrut.

Phonte makes no sense.

talking about southern rap on okayplayer is like talking about politics on soulstrut.

I'll raise you.

Talking about rap on Okayplayer is like talking about rap on SoulStrut: equally futile.

I'll throw this out there too...

people who are passionate about the south expect everybody else to care about the south too, and when they don't, there results an asshurtation.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Talking on the internet is futile.

• Phonte makes no sense.

I'll raise you.

Talking about rap on Okayplayer is like talking about rap on SoulStrut: equally futile.

FR, what current hiphop are you feelin besides the ones you listed above (8ball, TI, Trick and UGK)? What are your classic HH album choices? I enjoy yr posts altho I don't always agree w/ them...a lil' context might help me understand.

I definitely dig on 8 Ball and the gawds UGK, not feelin TI and Trick Daddy so much.